SnowHabit
Epic/Historic Snow Cover Picture Thread

Mr. Windcredible!

• Replies 344
  • Created
  • Last Reply

2015, never forget.

MQE and the front yard.

That's a landrover sized bank... Looks like some hill outside Saguenay.

10dcvol.jpg

8vvj1e.jpg

Been to the Saguenay region of Quebec in summer, would love to go in winter. From the Gaspe Peninsula through the Saguenay Valley to Labraror/Newfoundland is an epic snow region...especially for pack. Easy to find 4 or 5 feet on the ground there.

Been to the Saguenay region of Quebec in summer, would love to go in winter. From the Gaspe Peninsula through the Saguenay Valley to Labraror/Newfoundland is an epic snow region...especially for pack. Easy to find 4 or 5 feet on the ground there.

Looks like a gorgeous area, unfortunately just too far for a road trip unless you live in quebec city. Flown over Sept Iles en route to Iceland at night. You can really see the remoteness up there... It was just a tiny light next to the frozen St Lawrence with a full moon reflecting off the ice and nothing else anywhere. But an epic winter landscape I'm sure.

Looks like a gorgeous area, unfortunately just too far for a road trip unless you live in quebec city. Flown over Sept Iles en route to Iceland at night. You can really see the remoteness up there... It was just a tiny light next to the frozen St Lawrence with a full moon reflecting off the ice and nothing else anywhere. But an epic winter landscape I'm sure.

Not really that far, I made it to the Saguenay town of Chicoutimi in about 10 hours from NYC. The farm I lived on was another 30-40mins drive near the mountains. (Mont Valins Natl Park, where I found snow above 2000' on a June 10th hike.) There was still snow in the Laurentides area in late May, as the altitude rises fast off the St. Lawrence...you could find it on the quieter and often higher side roads.

From your area to Chicoutimi like 8 hours, Sept Iles is far and might be another 6 hours. The closer Saguenay areas are only one day driving...But there's plenty of beauty in Monts-Valin, St Rose du Nord, and the river itself that you don't need to go to Sept Iles...although you certainly find deeper snows further east if you can maintain some elevation, for example the Gaspesie. Never done this in winter but want to. My best friend from college has been to Hudson Bay in mid winter.

Not really that far, I made it to the Saguenay town of Chicoutimi in about 10 hours from NYC. The farm I lived on was another 30-40mins drive near the mountains. (Mont Valins Natl Park, where I found snow above 2000' on a June 10th hike.) There was still snow in the Laurentides area in late May, as the altitude rises fast off the St. Lawrence...you could find it on the quieter and often higher side roads.

From your area to Chicoutimi like 8 hours, Sept Iles is far and might be another 6 hours. The closer Saguenay areas are only one day driving...But there's plenty of beauty in Monts-Valin, St Rose du Nord, and the river itself that you don't need to go to Sept Iles...although you certainly find deeper snows further east if you can maintain some elevation, for example the Gaspesie. Never done this in winter but want to. My best friend from college has been to Hudson Bay in mid winter.

You get a taste of that climate in far northern NE, the last 10 to 15 miles of pittsburg , especially up 2000 feet and higher. I've seen 2 feet of snow in mid April there, and once you cross into Canada and lost elevation, the snow vanishes. Same in western maine. I always imagined the Laurentides to be similar, but displaced 100 miles north, probably extending winter climo another 2 weeks over the ridiculously long pittsburg winters.

You get a taste of that climate in far northern NE, the last 10 to 15 miles of pittsburg , especially up 2000 feet and higher. I've seen 2 feet of snow in mid April there, and once you cross into Canada and lost elevation, the snow vanishes. Same in western maine. I always imagined the Laurentides to be similar, but displaced 100 miles north, probably extending winter climo another 2 weeks over the ridiculously long pittsburg winters.

I've always thought it was funny how people sometimes refer to northern New England as the far north being south of Canada.  The north shore of the St Lawrence and north of there is like another world.  I've driven as far as Labrador and taken boats further north and it's really like going to Alaska and brings a whole new definition of "remote".  I drove to Labrador in the summer of 1995 when the road first opened.  I believe the Taiga Road in Quebec takes you the furthest from anywhere in North America.  I haven't driven that but the thought of being able to drive to southern Hudson Bay is intriguing.  I've also been up there in winter which sometimes brings a new definition to the word "cold".  Like others have stated, it's really not that far away and could be done in a weekend.

You can already see the snow starting to build up in that region.  12-16" already north of Saguenay.

post-1299-0-11283100-1446736912_thumb.pn

I've always thought it was funny how people sometimes refer to northern New England as the far north being south of Canada.  The north shore of the St Lawrence and north of there is like another world.  I've driven as far as Labrador and taken boats further north and it's really like going to Alaska and brings a whole new definition of "remote".  I drove to Labrador in the summer of 1995 when the road first opened.  I believe the Taiga Road in Quebec takes you the furthest from anywhere in North America.  I haven't driven that but the thought of being able to drive to southern Hudson Bay is intriguing.  I've also been up there in winter which sometimes brings a new definition to the word "cold".  Like others have stated, it's really not that far away and could be done in a weekend.

You can already see the snow starting to build up in that region.  12-16" already north of Saguenay.

Chic-Chocs in Gaspe also showing early snowpack, and they are real south-shore snow catchers (though all I've seen are pics.)  In Maine, the area north and west of Allagash Village might be best.  Mountaintops are 2,000' lower than in western Maine but the roads only 500' lower, and 2° latitude makes up for that.

I've always thought it was funny how people sometimes refer to northern New England as the far north being south of Canada. The north shore of the St Lawrence and north of there is like another world. I've driven as far as Labrador and taken boats further north and it's really like going to Alaska and brings a whole new definition of "remote". I drove to Labrador in the summer of 1995 when the road first opened. I believe the Taiga Road in Quebec takes you the furthest from anywhere in North America. I haven't driven that but the thought of being able to drive to southern Hudson Bay is intriguing. I've also been up there in winter which sometimes brings a new definition to the word "cold". Like others have stated, it's really not that far away and could be done in a weekend.

You can already see the snow starting to build up in that region. 12-16" already north of Saguenay.

I've driven to quebec city. You could book a night there and use that as a base too.

The St. Lawrence Valley is a bit of a snowhole...Montreal averages near 90" per year and Quebec City near 120"...Some of the areas in the Laurentides must be above 200"/year. I went in May 2006 and there was still snow by road.

I've never been to Pittsburgh NH...but I've hiked in the White Mountains a lot. I've also hiked Mansfield and Camel's Hump in winter when the Northern Greens had a 5' snowpack. Giant Mtn in the Adirondacks also had an impressive early April snowpack nearing 4'...

• 10 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 9/23/2016 at 11:48 AM, Ginx snewx said:

This is my favorite pic in this thread. Totally captures the day after tomorrow look

I wonder what the source of that photo was? Does anyone know?

I wish I noted it. I would love to purchase it full resolution. Will likely never be a day like that again in this city as long as I'm alive.

Archived