SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Mid FEB through March Threats/Snow Storms

mitchnick

• Replies 3.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

This is the year of having a 10 day storm only to have it disappear for us at the 4-5 day mark.  Models should not be available to the general public for any period greater than 5 days.  We have people in here that say up to 2 am just to see if there is a storm 10 days out.  lol... I think we all need therapy after this winter.

This is the year of having a 10 day storm only to have it disappear for us at the 4-5 day mark. Models should not be available to the general public for any period greater than 5 days. We have people in here that say up to 2 am just to see if there is a storm 10 days out. lol... I think we all need therapy after this winter.

How about a get together in late March?

You all are really a depressing bunch. A few runs of models and everyone jumps ship. Lest we forget that a lot of times its a few runs of models that show something good for us only to have it shift back to what it was showing previously, which is usually a Boston storm and mess us over.

We are in the period of time the models are usually the least accurate. The actual shortwave energy for this system is still over the North Pacific and what is being sampled is the Sunday system that created this change. If we are to believe that the models have been overcompensating for the cold all year long during the 4-5 day time frame what is to say this is any different? It has been consistent but in weather there are no absolutes. It is very possible that this does stay south. But at least lets use sound meteorological knowledge and not gut feelings. In this business that will burn you more than not.

Now, personally, I do think this has some correction back to the North. Whether its enough for DC/Balt or not is yet to be seen. That will be determined as we get closer. If it doesn't I will find it personally ironic that my home back in Georgia, which I moved from to here in July, is about to get more snow than the area I am in now has all year long.

At work I hedge with uncertainties and express them because the mission there is to communicate to stakeholders to protect life and property. There is protocol, policy etc.

On here I can be bold, express what I think. So why not?

There are obvious reasons why this thing may not shift back North (this winter sucks, Lady Luck moved to Boston, etc.), but I would love to hear your thoughts on why you believe the models have figured this one out. Sorry if I missed it.

There are obvious reasons why this thing may not shift back North (this winter sucks, Lady Luck moved to Boston, etc.), but I would love to hear your thoughts on why you believe the models have figured this one out. Sorry if I missed it.

The pattern does not support a significant east coast storm!

The pattern does not support a significant east coast storm!

This year, the pattern has been terrible. If we paid more attention to all the items that are against us than a model run, I think we would have all been a little less disappointed. Sometime, we get lucky.. but we have to bet against luck. Thanks for the voice of reason even if I do not like the reality, there really are not many things that would make me think it will be a big east coast snow.. MAYBE something we do not see shows up today and changes our minds, but I am doubtful as you are!

This year, the pattern has been terrible. If we paid more attention to all the items that are against us than a model run, I think we would have all been a little less disappointed. Sometime, we get lucky.. but we have to bet against luck. Thanks for the voice of reason even if I do not like the reality, there really are not many things that would make me think it will be a big east coast snow.. MAYBE something we do not see shows up today and changes our minds, but I am doubtful as you are!

Good points. I hope we get snow. Its been a dissapointing winter.

At work I hedge with uncertainties and express them because the mission there is to communicate to stakeholders to protect life and property. There is protocol, policy etc.

On here I can be bold, express what I think. So why not?

that is what everyone on this forum should want from you......otherwise why not just watch the tv weather forecasts.....thanks for letting us know how you really feel.........it is refreshing to get brutal honesty

Yesterday's 12z euro op had an initial piece of energy that dove down out of the Rockies but was suppressed south (around hour 112). But it left behind a trailing low that then developed and gave us a halfway decent track. The end of the NAM run actually showed the beginnings of that too yesterday.

The 00z euro seems to be missing that progression of events. The piece of energy is the main feature and after it goes out to sea, that's all she wrote.

Archived