SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Observations for Sat Sun Mon winter storm

Winter201415

• Replies 406
  • Created
  • Last Reply

30 F at LGA...but 37 F at Central Park at midnight...that's just weird...you never see that...except if there is a local rainshower at one of the two spots and not the other. The wind is now out of the NE at both...maybe the wind shift pulled colder air down to LGA first...

30 F at LGA...but 37 F at Central Park at midnight...that's just weird...you never see that...except if there is a local rainshower at one of the two spots and not the other. The wind is now out of the NE at both...maybe the wind shift pulled colder air down to LGA first...

Parts of a Queens are also reading 30F while Brooklyn and parts of W Nassau are reading 35F. It's like cold air is riding a wave.

Parts of a Queens are also reading 30F while Brooklyn and parts of W Nassau are reading 35F. It's like cold air is riding a wave.

Yes there is cold air damning (CAD)...we know this because most of the state of CT is in the 20's with the big high over Canada feeding down the low level cold air on NE winds...but Scranton (Avoca) in the Poconos sits at a balmy 35 F.

This is what I have been writing on the last few days...how places like the North Fork of Long Island are likely to be colder than some spot over the interior at a similar latitude...very rare setup.

Scranton always runs a few degrees warmer than surrounding areas in the poconos.

Avoca / Wilkes Barre Scranton Airport (elevation 930 feet) is a high valley...it has cool afternoons relative to say the low spots in the Hudson Valley...but being so high up...it does not radiate terribly well...but that is not really the issue at hand here...since there is a distinct boundary (practically a quasi stationary front) sort of setting up.

Central Park actually running warmer than LGA so far this month...yesterday got to 40 there, 3 degrees or so higher than most stations.

I looked at the 10 AM 700 mb chart over the NE and it showed the 0 C isotherm cutting through NYC...where is all this warm air coming from well over 10,000 feet above the ground in the middle of the winter?...I mean, I know warm air is lighter & rises...but that high?

Inversions & conditionally stable columns are weird...and are major reasons why urban areas are afflicted with air pollution. 

Sunny (suns out through high clouds) and 42!!!!

East wind. Fork please!!!!

It is 32.9 F and overcast in Port Jeff with a gentle ENE breeze; so when your wind veers around to the east...your temperature should fall back rather quickly.

Your snowpack must be taking a beating...the depth here has fallen back to about 11.5"; give or take.

Wow just drove from Marlboro, NJ to Holmdel, NJ here in Monmouth County and the temp dropped quickly from 46 to 39! A bit foggy here too. I guess the wind is blowing off the bay or ocean now.

Hovering between 38 and 40 all morning here in Monroe right up the road from you.  Its in the upper 30s to 40s north to Edison.  Drops into the mid 30s from about Union/Newark.  

Archived