• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Snowathon Obs/ Nowcast 02/07-02/09

40/70 Benchmark

Hope it ends at least 22.6" for Logan, #7 on the all time list (just behind 1/26)

I think you guys are missing something. We have a shot at the all time record. We've got some bands to come, the OES, and most importantly, a guy who can measure working today. Just another 9" to go.

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Wow. I remember David McCullough in the Great American Weather Book speculating on whether there could ever be 3 feet of snow on the level in Boston itself, and his conclusion was "Probably not".

I remember David Ludlum in The New England Weather Book (1975 or thereabouts) discussing the Great Snow of 1717 in which snow was measured upwards of three feet on a level, after four snowstorms. His quote (IIRC) was:

"Although such a depth has not occurred in the modern era in downtown Boston, it is thought meteorologically possible if four storms came in similar quick succession and temperatures remained below freezing."

I've been getting nothing but sloppy seconds the past few weeks and this event is no exception. We have around 6" of white sand here; the official measurement will come at the end of the storm. Just another big meh, as NE winds downslope here. I'm hoping this will be my last winter at this location.

We've mostly had light snow with poor snow growth interspersed with periods of moderate snow and dendrites, one of which is coming through now.

Snow depth is around 20". We have about 3-4" of glacier on the bottom and the rest is several layers of packed powder.

Archived