joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Long duration overrunning to coastal disco 02/07-02/09

Damage In Tolland

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

You know If there is one thing I have always loved to do since being a little kid,  is draw national maps, include state borders and then pin capitals on the maps where they belong. Now related to this group,  I try to know exactly where every town is on the map to the nearest nuance and it is why I sometimes ask posters where they are (even within a town) and elevation. I am not that strong with the meteorology as other posters but I try to add something whether it is accurately observing now casting trends to the city or just interpreting model graphics and radar with an awareness of where exactly I am and where I am looking at exactly. I have pretty much googled the towns of everyone on this board and could now place them on a map lol, and in the bigger towns I need to know what part they are in (and have)

This set up is going to have very sharp local cut offs and will be giving some fits and others celebrating and man is that coastal front going to be exciting to watch set up. The upslope in the W Ma area will mostly fall where we have zero posters on this board.

I don't know the town where Wxmanmitch bought his property except for him saying it was around 2300' just over the VT border. My guess is his lot gets crushed.

Yeah, I've also spent some time learning NE geography since I joined the boards and I'm fascinated by the snow holes and snow jack pots. Good topic for a separate thread come the summer doldrums. The local cutoffs around here will be over short distances.

I'll only b**ch is I'm under 10" total for the three days. lol

A lot of debbies around here lately.

I am looking forward to adding to the drifts that are already over shoulder height here at the office.

I think the expectations have gotten too high in this event...there's going to be some people screaming bust if they get 11-12" of fluff that increases the depth by 5" by Tuesday morning.

Upton should add the southern zones into a watch. If it were box forecasting there would be watches as the box map posted on FB has 4-8" for the shore, and 8-12 about 20 mi inland. Well see what 0Z brings any slight shift colder and watches are getting expanded or just all warnings for CT

Being in a watch doesn't really make a difference - won't change the amount of snow you wind up getting. 

I think the expectations have gotten too high in this event...there's going to be some people screaming bust if they get 11-12" of fluff that increases the depth by 5" by Tuesday morning.

Yeah I think most will be disappointed. It's a fairly unimpressive storm and while some areas are going to get smoked (it's pretty obvious where those areas will be) there are a lot of red flags for other locales. 

I'll be happy with a foot total over tomorrow-Tuesday, anything less then that and it's a bust IMO. Would forecast somewhere in the 16-18" range for BOS but if it ends up as a foot, cool, still a net gain and a nice wintry appeal overall. Below that is when you get into underperforming territory and it starts to sting.

Big event coming up for the jackpot fetish crowd. Without strong dynamics in the mid levels to work with, we aren't getting an evenly distributed snowfall out of this.

That's why the NWS forecast maps are a bit of broad brush at this point. Too far out to get detailed, but too close in not to issue a map.

I don't think the Box map helped.

I am very excited for my locale but it seems the Coastal trended in a poor direction for hopes of any widespread 15'+ totals to verify, correct me please if I am wrong .

Yeah I think most will be disappointed. It's a fairly unimpressive storm and while some areas are going to get smoked (it's pretty obvious where those areas will be) there are a lot of red flags for other locales. 

Big event coming up for the jackpot fetish crowd. Without strong dynamics in the mid levels to work with, we aren't getting an evenly distributed snowfall out of this.

That's why the NWS forecast maps are a bit of broad brush at this point. Too far out to get detailed, but too close in not to issue a map.

Yep.

It's going to be a nice event if you keep expectations pretty realistic. I was out skiing today most of the day, so I haven't been in here, but just reading the past 3-4 pages, it seems like many are expecting a pretty hefty swath of 12"+...and even much higher than that.

It's not going to look like that I don't think. They'll be some localized jackpots, but anyone actually "expecting" to be in it will probably walk from this storm with disappointment. Maybe Essex county MA has reason to expect 15"+.

Too much worrying. No one enjoys events anymore.

Its not that bad, ppl will enjoy it plenty.

Some PPl post there fears as a sort of therapy lol.

Others don't like when people discuss things that may limit upside in the storm, because it's "winter enjoyment time" and there is no room for the +, AND the -'s it seems.  

Archived