SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Long duration overrunning to coastal disco 02/07-02/09

Damage In Tolland

• Replies 2.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The snow has just started here in Marblehead, My toyota is at the back of the driveway covered in 5 feet of snow and I won't be seeing it until spring at the rate. We have had roof collapses in town as well at a small strip mall which has led to the building being condemned and ordered torn down. (One being Starbucks.... What are all the yuppies going to do????) I just don't know where we are going to put it anymore. From what I'm seeing, Coastal North Shore could be ground zero for this one...

I that the one over by Vinin Sq that had the blockbuster in it?

This is starting to look like a storm that challenges criteria/definitions...   One is supposed to garner 8" in 24 hours to verify a warning? Well, this may snow 6.8" every 24 hours until late Tuesday night for some, and they'll end up with boat load of snow below warning ... 

The other thing, for areas that have a huge snow removal problem,  I think 3" comes with enhanced aggravation.

Agreed - I was debating that this morning on FB when I saw that in the NWS discussion. May not fit criteria but does it still warrant a warning?  Along the same lines as calling it an event rather then a storm. Ah the webs we weave!

In the end QPF ended up similar to the 00z run. 1"+ bounded by RUT-CON-DAW to the north and BDL-PVD to the south.

Yeah looks almost identical in 72-hour totals to 00z.

But this is one of the few times I can ever remember BOS and up here having an incredible stretch of winter. We've had 3 separate days this week with 10" or more in a 24hr period on the mountain. Not counting the little stuff inbetween.

I just added up 82" at 3000ft in the last three weeks, so Boston can grab all the snow it needs to shut down if we can keep rolling like this up here, haha.

Spots just north and west of BOS are going to be buried. The RGEM is remarkably similar to the NAM really to 48hr. WOW. The GFS is even damn similar.  Canadien HRDPS also similar. 

I hadn't looked at much modeling until now because of work. Crusher coming. Wow.

I wonder if it will work out like that or not. My gut says best is essex county. 

I'm not really partial or biased toward a particular location say BOS versus LWM anymore because I can sorta bounce between the two according to an event. I think jackpot essex this time around but the wealth will be spread considerably from Milton at least on north.

I'm glad i'm at the east end of middlesex.

Maybe Steve's Newburyport max depth will come to fruition after all :lol:

Have  a map for that?

The snow has just started here in Marblehead, My toyota is at the back of the driveway covered in 5 feet of snow and I won't be seeing it until spring at the rate. We have had roof collapses in town as well at a small strip mall which has led to the building being condemned and ordered torn down. (One being Starbucks.... What are all the yuppies going to do????) I just don't know where we are going to put it anymore. From what I'm seeing, Coastal North Shore could be ground zero for this one...

please link all roof collapses in the thread for that to document,tia

(mods) just wanted to give weenies a heads up if they haven't seen the contest thread for this event

Weenies just wanted to mention the contest SR Airglow put in for this event. I think it's cool, nothing serious, just guess some amounts for stations and see who gets closest (w Jack as well) check out the thread and just throw some numbers down...why not

http://www.americanwx.com/bb/index.php/topic/45639-long-duration-overrunningcoastal-forecast-contest/

I'm on the fence even down here along Rt 2 in Mass, which is supposed to plausibly jack-pot.  Thing is, ...I can see arguments for this over-producing. Meso from banding... OE, etc..  But I can also nod to this busting too high for snow totals, due to dry air consumption off newly arriving arctic high (evaporation sink), and the fact that most synoptic charts struggle to make .25" in a single 3-hourly period pretty much everywhere..   Interesting...

I am looking at both these options as well.  I think the safe bet is to be mindful of the qpf output but to temper expectations as to what the new snow on the ground will look like when it's all wrapped up.  Over this duration, there will be some settling taking place with light rates for a lot of time.

On the other hand, the hefty qpf amounts will provide a good deal to settle.

Archived