joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Late Weekend Storm Threat

IsentropicLift

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I was saying that this morning... They have < 1 all the way up thru Northern Westchester which is not what any model is showing... Both GFS and EURO show 4-6 inches 15-20 miles outside of NYC

Seems to me they are in "wait and see" mode--and are waiting for more guidance...That jp of freezing rain over the sound, is ideal, if you're waiting to "sound the alarm".

Given the recent model volatility, "wait and see" before becoming very bullish on snow/ice impacts seems like a prudent course of action--if that is indeed what they are doing...

Seems to me they are in "wait and see" mode--and are waiting for more guidance...That jp of freezing rain over the sound, is ideal, if you're waiting to "sound the alarm".

Given the recent model volatility, "wait and see" before becoming very bullish on snow/ice impacts seems like a prudent course of action--if that is indeed what they are doing...

Yes especially after the last time they sounded the alarm.

Yea that's true!

We should eventually see a winter storm warning all the way to the south shores of CT as well as the N Shores of Nassau and Suffolk counties .

.5 to .75 now and in those places the 0 line is just S of them.

It's all going to depend on how much snow they think will fall. I can envision a large area of WWA for a few inches of snow and up to 0.25" of ice.

For everyone rooting for the system to track south, once the coastal takes over, it will drag all of the moisutre with it.

Bad post. We want it as far south as we can get it so we don't have the screw area when it transfers. Farther south that area ends up over the mid Atlantic

Winter Weather Advisories are issued for events that have a high likelihood of occurrence, are imminent, or are already occurring. However, advisories are issued for wintry weather that creates a considerable inconvenience while not posing an immediate or direct threat to life or property, nor a widespread disruption of commerce. Winter Weather Advisories are usually issued in the period of 12 to 24 hours before the storm starts, and occasionally beyond that as much as 36 hours before the storm moves into the region.

Criteria for Winter Weather Advisories A. Snow:

Accumulations of more than 1 inch, but less than warning criteria are expected.

B.Ice (Freezing Rain)/Sleet:

Any accumulations that are less than warning criteria are expected.

PB you think a warning for snow or ice?? Right now Upton has our highs above freezing both Sunday and Monday and that's for western Nassau county right by the lie

The N shore is such a different animal when it's really marginal .

Take a look at the total snowfall depth amounts and it will give you an idea of what the N vs S looks like .

Sometime you can see exactly where the cold loves to set up.

I am starting to think that this system is colder all the way through than we saw Mon on the island but it's so close on the S shore I am not sure.

But I think I'm sure once N of N Blvd and maybe even the NSP

The N shore is such a different animal when it's really marginal .

Take a look at the total snowfall depth amounts and it will give you an idea of what the N vs S looks like .

Sometime you can see exactly where the cold loves to set up.

I am starting to think that this system is colder all the way through than we saw Mon on the island but it's so close on the S shore I am not sure.

But I think I'm sure once N of N Blvd and maybe even the NSP

Long Island is horrific to forecast for in the winter. The north shore has the bluffs that help to insulate it from any weak waa. However, as has been pointed out, sst's are very cold this time of year.

Bad post. We want it as far south as we can get it so we don't have the screw area when it transfers. Farther south that area ends up over the mid Atlantic

Agree the faster the SLP takes over from the 850 mb low your winds turn NE. Further S doesn't hurt as .5 to .75 is bring modeled .

The further S this is its just don't going to drag the 850's S not the precip.

Archived