SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Late Weekend Storm Threat

IsentropicLift

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The snow this morning is 100 miles south of where most models had it could be a clue to the baroclinic zone being pulled 100 miles south . We see how the SLP has corrected so far S it now exits the VA capes. Use the high res models for the BL but the models may be playing catch up here and 1 more S is possible . .75 at KNYC now. So we got wetter and colder since last night.

I'm sort of in Pamela's camp WRT temps. Take for example the Mon event, we had SE winds and only got up to 35F at Westhampton. Now this is being progged as ENE to NE winds, I'll take the under. That one was modeled to get us into the 40's out here, this is already progged colder

You beat me too commenting about our here....last week event oR this past week, the max temperature only made it to 32,briefly,then plummeted rest of day with nearly a half inch of ice here. I do have pictures but there to large to upload... North fork mattituck east furthest north on all of the island ironically.

The snow this morning is 100 miles south of where most models had it could be a clue to the baroclinic zone being pulled 100 miles south . We see how the SLP has corrected so far S it now exits the VA capes. Use the high res models for the BL but the models may be playing catch up here and 1 more S is possible . .75 at KNYC now. So we got wetter and colder since last night.

Are the strength and position of the arctic high being underestimated by guidance you think?

Are the strength and position of the arctic high being underestimated by guidance you think?

The SLP came south as the models see the confluence.

Now the coast just needs the 850 mb low to give up faster and get the winds to switch around to the NE faster. I think once N of 80 you guys are in great shape. The city is really close.

Another 10 Miles south and the city is snow . But we may have to wait until 0z to see if that trend continues

Indeed.....I have been reading Pam's posts all along and am very impressed with her weather knowledge and insights.

if gfs is right great call by u

Thanks...Canadian seems to disagree with me...but that's why they play the games. 

A few snowshowers moving through Port Jeff in the last 20 minutes.

If this were to verify, it would basically be an example of exactly how this winter has gone.  SNE crushed (tho interior does better this time), areas just north of NYC do well, NYC is borderline and anywhere south is screwed.

I love following winter trends. It just wants to snow in certain areas during certain winters. Look at 9/10 in DC Bmore and PHL.

My original thoughts remain. Lots of ice  on the island focused on the north shore. South Shore goes to rain for a while on East wind. Goes back to ice as winds go back to NE. Could be a decent ice storm on the north shore right around damage thresholds. south shore is fine.

I love following winter trends. It just wants to snow in certain areas during certain winters. Look at 9/10 in DC Bmore and PHL.

My original thoughts remain. Lots of ice on the island focused on the north shore. South Shore goes to rain for a while on East wind. Goes back to ice as winds go back to NE. Could be a decent ice storm on the north shore right around damage thresholds. south shore is fine.

Models showing 04-06 now on wind, I'm not sure that'll be enough to get anyone but eastern Suffolk over freezing.

Models showing 04-06 now on wind, I'm not sure that'll be enough to get anyone but eastern Suffolk over freezing.

That could be true say north of the southern state. Down here right by the bay any thing but a north east wind and we rain. JM and blue wave can back that up. The extreme south shore and especially the barrier islands have their own climate. There is almost no snow on the ground down at Jones Beach currently and I still have 6 solid inches.

Frame 1

24hrs OPC  Surface Low prog -1006mb Lake Erie

1026mb  Atlantic High - sliding east

Frame 2

48hrs OPC  Canadian High 1036mb extrap to 1030mb -moving southeast-

First Atlantic impulse fades out  (DSIPT) at 1011mb

Lake Erie shortwave swings east- just south of L.I. prog is 1004mb

Frame 3

Today's 12z GFS 250mb

at 48hrs  prog 1005mb at PA-MD border

Northeast Direction for the wind contours

my take-