Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Fab February Banter

mackerel_sky

• Replies 5.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Is there alot of ice remaining there? There is alot of wind forcasted with this front. They mentioned gusts of 45+ for my area, even mentioning snow flurries.

Watching local news reports and talking to my friend, there seems to be quite a lot left on there actually.  It's a bit surprising since  I figured a good bit would have melted yesterday. It didn't get much above freezing there yesterday (in fact it might not have)  but It doesn't take a lot to melt ice even if temps are cold  since solar radiation warms the surface from underneath. But apparently it wasn't nearly enough. I got lucky as downslope flow helped warm temps here to the upper 30s and melted most of mine. I would hate to think how bad it would be if it had not with these heavy winds today. '

It really worries me for folks up there because of these high winds behind the front. Local companies are claiming they should have a lot of people back on today but i have my doubts based on what i've been told.  She says there are downed lines and trees everywhere and Hotels are booked up and even though there are literally thousands of people (ga power says 4000) working on it..they are going to have to pull a miracle it seems to me to get them back on.

One has to feel for those that don't if they aren't able to find a place to stay. Tonight is not a night to go without heat. I imagine there could be a lot of busted pipes too because with no heat even if you let the water run more there is a good chance they will freeze anyway.

Watching local news reports and talking to my friend, there seems to be quite a lot left on there actually.  It's a bit surprising since  I figured a good bit would have melted yesterday. It didn't get much above freezing there yesterday (in fact it might not have)  but It doesn't take a lot to melt ice even if temps are cold  since solar radiation warms the surface from underneath. But apparently it wasn't nearly enough. I got lucky as downslope flow helped warm temps here to the upper 30s and melted most of mine. I would hate to think how bad it would be if it had not with these heavy winds today. '

It really worries me for folks up there because of these high winds behind the front. Local companies are claiming they should have a lot of people back on today but i have my doubts based on what i've been told.  She says there are downed lines and trees everywhere and Hotels are booked up and even though there are literally thousands of people (ga power says 4000) working on it..they are going to have to pull a miracle it seems to me to get them back on.

One has to feel for those that don't if they aren't able to find a place to stay. Tonight is not a night to go without heat. I imagine there could be a lot of busted pipes too because with no heat even if you let the water run more there is a good chance they will freeze anyway.

Wow, i really feel for those folks up there. We are already getting strong gusts here. And the next 2 nights will be dangerous for folks with no power or any other way to heat their house.

SE Forum 2015 Snow Intensity Glossary 

Ripping - I see flakes

Pouring - I see flakes

Slamming - I see flakes

Hammering - I see flakes

Dumping - I see flakes

Really putin’ it down - I see flakes

Getting Plastered - I see flakes

Getting Pounded - I see flakes

Insane Rates - I see flakes

Really Pumpin’ - I see flakes

Full Blown Whiteout - I see flakes

Coming Down Good - I see flakes

DAMN It’s Coming Down - DAMN I see flakes

Snowing Pretty Good - I see flakes

It's Snowing at a Pretty Good Clip - I see flakes

Please continue the precise reporting, as it really helps us to know what is occurring.   :thumbsup:

SE Forum 2015 Snow Intensity Glossary 

Ripping - I see flakes

Pouring - I see flakes

Slamming - I see flakes

Hammering - I see flakes

Dumping - I see flakes

Really putin’ it down - I see flakes

Getting Plastered - I see flakes

Getting Pounded - I see flakes

Insane Rates - I see flakes

Really Pumpin’ - I see flakes

Full Blown Whiteout - I see flakes

Coming Down Good - I see flakes

DAMN It’s Coming Down - DAMN I see flakes

Snowing Pretty Good - I see flakes

It's Snowing at a Pretty Good Clip - I see flakes

Please continue the precise reporting, as it really helps us to know what is occurring.   :thumbsup:

wow pooring snow     

http://www.americanwx.com/bb/index.php/topic/45770-wed-feb-18th-convective-snow-shower-chances/?p=3413064

Archived