joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Post super bowl storm Model discussion

UlsterCountySnowZ

• Replies 1.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Every model has sucked this winter, and every model has trended north with the storm. Euro is still the best model in the world, and anyone who is gonna throw it out for future storms because of its recent history had better prepare to be wrong most of the time.

Sorry, but the Euro crapped the bed the last couple of events. It may be atypical of it but still the truth.

Not saying it hasn't, but people forget it was the first model to sniff out the blizzard. It's not infallible like we once thought but it is still the best, especially medium to long range.

Well hopefully up by you this can still be a good event. If people would just remember the climo for SWFE events, it would save all this agita. I never saw this as a real snow possibility for NYC.

I think it's best to just watch the radar tomorrow night. Not saying this will be the case but colder air could hang around longer due to the CAD not being modeled correctly. It's happened before and this could be a case where the rain/snow has a very hard time advancing north of NYC.

Where's the talk about the big sleet potential? I think the 32F line will have trouble getting NW of NYC. I could even see the North Shore staying mostly sleet/freezing rain.

Yes, there is a major icing potential here. Last second colder trends are very possible, especially at the surface.

Just glad the gfs is a superior model these days.

Atleast I now only need to watch this model and maybe the uk.

Toilet model list

Nam, euro, Canadian , Japanese model

Last time I checked Euro is still #1 on the verification scores. It's a global model, not a NNJ model, or even a NE model for that matter. 20 mile shifts mean crap in the middle of canada, but it means a **** ton here. To ignore that model is incredibly foolish. Also no one ever pointed this out, but the JMA was quite consistent with giving us next to nothing for last weeks "blizzard"

As for the GFS, I really hope it's finally an elite weather model. It would be awesome to have an elite model run four times a day at 6HR frames vs the twice a day euro.

Yes, there is a major icing potential here. Last second colder trends are very possible, especially at the surface.

The problem is the wind direction. Models now have NYC switching to an E or ESE wind, which warms things up fast and causes rain. If that doesn't happen, it will stay sleet with possibly freezing rain.

The problem is the wind direction. Models now have NYC switching to an E or ESE wind, which warms things up fast and causes rain. If that doesn't happen, it will stay sleet with possibly freezing rain.

I'm still not convinced that the low will make it as far North as the models are showing. A thirty mile shift South with the LP and/or the warm front, and many on the subforum see a crippling ice storm.

i dunno but it's going to be close,the cold air is starting to funnel in and we still have cold air around.i expect snow and lots of it before it transitions to ice,the only 2 models that have us at or just below freezing from midtown north is the rhmc model and even the nam doesn't really warm us up as the cmc and and gfs does,most models also have underestimated the cold because it's snowing in missouri when all the models have it as mostly rain a.t.m.1 more rule of thumb,if it snows in chicago,cleveland,and pittsburgh,then it will most likely snow in n.y.c. :ee:  

Look for the south trend starting on

The 12z run today. 850 line should be right on the Delware NJ state line during the whole event

Massive hit coming

That would be quite the change in such short order and goes against all guidance and trends. I will say it is possible at this juncture slight adjustments south can happen but there are equal chances this also trends slightly further north. Basically expect some bouncing in either direction but not tremendous moves. Of course just minor shifts will potentially lead to significant differences in the sensible weather at anyone location throughout the entirety of the event. As of now its very difficult to ignore the warmer north trend. Anyone south of about I-84 is quite likely to mix with sleet and or freezing rain and perhaps plain rain near I-80 especially east of I-287. I-78 on south snow to mix to rain looking to be the likely outcome. A growing concern of a moderate to significant ice event somewhere between I-78 and I-84. North of I-84 still looks mainly snow but sleet will come into play for a period of time. Back to snow on the backside but how much precip will there be. That is a typical wild card. Take that scenario and now modestly shift it north or south 20-40 miles (a reasonsble possibility at this juncture) and millions see there sensible weather outcome change significantly. As of now I would go with 6-12" north of I-84 mainly snow but some sleet. South to I-80 5-9" with snow to sleet to freezing rain with possibly 0.25"+ ice. South to I-78 3-6" snow to sleet to freezing rain to rain. 0-4" south of I-78 snow to mix to rain. All areas back to snow but only minor amounts south of I-78 modest amounts possible north of I-78.

For those wondering about surface temps, WAA has already reared it's ugly head here in Eastern PA. When I went to bed last night it was 14 degrees. This morning at 5:30, upon waking, I am already up to a balmy 26 degrees. That kind of surprised me as I thought we'd hold the teens throughout the night here.

Archived