Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
February Banter Thread

H2O

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Shut up.. they opened the thread by calling us all asshats and then continued to snipe at us for no reason. I mean whatever but yeah. 

Too many people are here for handouts and backyard forecasts and nothing else.  Nobody's time is more valuable than anyone else's. I think regional threads within the forum are actually a good idea.  It concentrates the knowledge base in one place.  None of us have an obligation to other regions.  One of my mom's friends asked me for a forecast for all of I-95 last night as she was driving home from Florida.  And she is a lovely lady so I did it, but it took me 30 minutes to analyze models and read forecast discussions, etc to try and give her decent info.  And even after all that, I told her I really can't predict traffic/road conditions because I didn't want her to rely on me to make travel decisions.  Someone close to me asked me recently during one of the events, simply, "Should I drive home from Philly tomorrow morning?".  Same thing.  I spent time analyzing and then basically told them in a nice way there are too many variables and I have no idea. And these people all think I enjoy this stuff and I am flattered by it.  And I know everyone here is in the same boat because you are the "weather guy/gal".  This is a place to have a reprieve from that.  Every year after I put out the winter outlook, I get a few emails from people asking me why I don't talk about Orange County or that I need to focus on Waldorf more as the Post has a vast readership.  If southern people feel marginalized I think starting a thread is an ideal solution.  

Too many people are here for handouts and backyard forecasts and nothing else.  Nobody's time is more valuable than anyone else's. I think regional threads within the forum are actually a good idea.  It concentrates the knowledge base in one place.  None of us have an obligation to other regions.  One of my mom's friends asked me for a forecast for all of I-95 last night as she was driving home from Florida.  And she is a lovely lady so I did it, but it took me 30 minutes to analyze models and read forecast discussions, etc to try and give her decent info.  And even after all that, I told her I really can't predict traffic/road conditions because I didn't want her to rely on me to make travel decisions.  Someone close to me asked me recently during one of the events, simply, "Should I drive home from Philly tomorrow morning?".  Same thing.  I spent time analyzing and then basically told them in a nice way there are too many variables and I have no idea. And these people all think I enjoy this stuff and I am flattered by it.  And I know everyone here is in the same boat because you are the "weather guy/gal".  This is a place to have a reprieve from that.  Every year after I put out the winter outlook, I get a few emails from people asking me why I don't talk about Orange County or that I need to focus on Waldorf more as the Post has a vast readership.  If southern people feel marginalized I think starting a thread is an ideal solution.  

I agree totally. I guess I should have known responding initially would blow up a convo about it. I really don't care and it is probably best.. I openly root for RIC to fail if it means good things for me. If someone took that personally I am sorry (for them). Good to know we are someone's SNE right? ;) I just thought it was odd they were so openly hostile.

Richmond is generally considered to be Central VA. And over the last 20 or so winters, their climo has become quite disparate from that of N VA and most of MD.

Eh, the climate was never really in the same exact realm. That being said, Anthony (RIC Airport) has looked at years of data and came to the conclusion that RIC correlates with DCA ~60% of the time and our friends to the south ~40% of the time.

The airport is not a representative snowfall measurement location for the metro, as it is quite a bit east of the fall line. For example, if you look at my signature, I have averaged almost 15" since the 08-09 season. For reference, I am just SW of downtown.

I actually miss the days when we were all in one forum .. there are certain people I loved to chat with who I never see here because I never leave the main threads. I feel the same way about most of the RIC area posters.. others I mostly just don't know who they are because I am fairly IMBY focused other than svr.. and we all (all 7 of us) coalesce in one spot for that. I can understand why things seem DC area centric.. because they are. That's just where the people live. But I don't think we've ever really run anyone off except some guys from up north who come in to humblebrag.

I actually miss the days when we were all in one forum .. there are certain people I loved to chat with who I never see here because I never leave the main threads. I feel the same way about most of the RIC area posters.. others I mostly just don't know who they are because I am fairly IMBY focused other than svr.. and we all (all 7 of us) coalesce in one spot for that. I can understand why things seem DC area centric.. because they are. That's just where the people live. But I don't think we've ever really run anyone off except some guys from up north who come in to humblebrag.

You city folk :) will throw out an occasional "who cares about the middle of nowhere" line. But its all in good fun as far as I am concerned. I know in some of the bigger modeled events that looked like we were gonna get slammed out here. And you guys to east looked like you were gonna get screwed. WinterWX and me talked about having you guys out to our houses so you all wouldnt miss it. but every time we talked about it the next model run screwed us as well. :)

Eh, the climate was never really in the same exact realm. That being said, Anthony (RIC Airport) has looked at years of data and came to the conclusion that RIC correlates with DCA ~60% of the time and our friends to the south ~40% of the time.

The airport is not a representative snowfall measurement location for the metro, as it is quite a bit east of the fall line. For example, if you look at my signature, I have averaged almost 15" since the 08-09 season. For reference, I am just SW of downtown.

YES.  Thank You.  Recent seasons RIC Metro suburbs at or above climo:

08-09 

09-10

13-14

14-15

IIRC, 10-11 wasn't too bad although if memory serves it started fast and finished weak.  December 2010 was much snowier than NOVA in CVA, it was my first season in NOVA after 32 in RIC and I personally jinxed it.  You can all blame me.

The whining about the RIC snow drought, ridiculously perpetuated recently by the Washington post and CWG of all places, is really moot for most of the past decade at least.  The bad years were the 1990's - save for 93-94 and 95-96 it basically never snowed - some years almost no snow at all for multiple consecutive seasons.  Those zero years wipe out your statistical average, and for the most part, DC/NOVA rarely if ever receive these.  The 1900+ average at RIC is 14" give or take.  That includes the glory years of the 1960's and the awful years of the 1990's.  The current 1981-10 30 year average is artificially bad because of the 90's - RIC should have an easier time beating climo for at least the next 15 years until this is out of the data set.

I've searched the mighty Internet and cannot find actual video of the 'slurpee' waves in action.

Yeah I'd like to see video. They're definitely icy but still photog doesn't tell you much to corroborate the story per se.

Archived