joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
February Banter Thread

H2O

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I hope if we can't get snow we get days of east flow wedge drizzle with temps in the 40s well into April. I hate Spring and Summer. I hate the colors, the flowers, and the smell of fresh cut grass and cherry blossom watching. Soon as the kids are grown I am headed as far north as I can and still stay married.

I never would have guessed you'd be a fan.

:lol:

Saw a group of about 200 robins today at a park in Adams Morgan... Can't be a good sign for winter.

I had few robins in my backyard last week during our last pathetic attempt at winter. Maybe baltimore is the new south for all the boston robins

BWI will end JAN around -2.1F and almost 1"< normal snowfall

pos

sounds about right.  i was surprised to hear the stats that december was above normal.  sure didn't feel like it, but maybe it's because we didn't have too many warm days.  it was a lot of chilly/cloudy weather.

So the sting of this event seems to be lessening today since it went kabosh almost 3 days before the start of the event. And, we're still in January for a couple of hours. There's no way any snow fanatic on here is *actually* going to stop following threats for the next 6 weeks. It's all just talk so far... 

i'll track for february, but if that doesn't go right, then it's probably somewhat naive to expect march will be our snow month again.  maybe we can pull some late game heroics, though, who knows.

Same goes for those who like 95 with 75 dews. At least cold isn't cold with good gear. Being naked in 95/75 still feels like you may melt into a puddle of wax.

October is a great month on so many levels.

I agree.  I cannot stand wilting heat and humidity that is seemingly interminable in many summers.  While I probably don't handle the cold as well as when I was younger (when I could stay out for hours in it, it seemed, haha!), it's much easier to keep yourself warmer than cooler.  A decent sweater under my Pea Coat along with insulated boots are pretty darned toasty for some nice walks in the snow.  Especially when you're out taking photos during snow events and the like.  There's only so much you can do to cool off when it's 95+ out.  I remarked the other day that cold weather softball can really suck (such as happens in April).  Well, extreme heat and softball is at least as awful to play in especially when the sun is scorching you from above.

The only bad thing about cold and winter is the sometimes very dry air can bother me; I have to run a humidifier most of the time during the DJF period, but it's not that much of an issue usually.

Also, agree on October being about the best month of the year.  Many pleasant days with cool, crisp nights.  Plus the fall colors are at their best, and one starts looking forward to winter.

http://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/who-had-the-worst-week-in-washington-the-national-weather-service/2015/01/30/f30b4c56-a81b-11e4-a7c2-03d37af98440_story.html

Washington Post Outlook 1 Feb 2015 pans NWS:

Worst Week

The National Weather Service, for its cloudy vision

Dear National Weather Service: You have one job.  Just get the weather forecasts mostly right, especially when predicting things like, say, debilitating snow in the country's most populous city.

(snip)

As documented by The Washington Post's Capital Weather Gang, The NWS- particularly its New York and Philadelphia branches- failed to adequately convey that even the slightest movement of the storm to the east could drastically shift snow totals downward. 

(snip)

Well, we are in the stretch run already. Realistically we have about 5 more weeks for snow chances. Probably going to take at least 2 or 3 warning criteria events for most to get to climo. Not sure we can keep nickel and diming our way with weak clippers at this point.

yep. I'm 12.1 inches from climo. I'm not sure 2 6 inchers or 3 4 inchers is going to happen. Our best bet might be to get likely with a big storm.

Archived