Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
NOT DC/NOVA discussion

JMU2004

• Replies 960
  • Created
  • Last Reply

And with temps in the lower/mid 20s. 

Sadly I think the days of Richmond cashing in (12-16+) on big coastals is over. It's my opinion that AGW is having a very real effect on the snow climate here which trickles down to things such as SST's etc. We'll have to do our work primarily with bowling balls or SE systems from this point forward.

Sadly I think the days of Richmond cashing in (12-16+) on big coastals is over. It's my opinion that AGW is having a very real effect on the snow climate here which trickles down to things such as SST's etc. We'll have to do our work primarily with bowling balls or SE systems from this point forward.

Ummm it's never been an snow belt area here common now... People should know by now what happens 99 percent of the time.. The last official total over 12 inches was 1983. Soon it's normal wishful thinking ( know matter what the silly models say...

I said b4 this storm even started that I would be happy with anything over 8 inches...We should be able to make at least that...

Ric still may get lucky if the bands set up right later today ..

with the wind tho who knows what will be measured...

Ummm it's never been an snow belt area common now... People should know by now what happens 99 percent of the time.. The last official total over 12 inches since 1983. I said b4 this storm even started that I would be happy with anything over 8 inches...We should be able to make at least that...

Ric may get lucky if the bands set up right later today with the wind tho who knows what will be measured...

It's undeniable though that the frequency of large events in Richmond is way down. Just ask RIC Airport - he has all the data to back it up.

Whether that is due to a decrease in frequency of the types of events that perform well here ("Miller C") or some of the other things I mentioned I am not sure.

It's undeniable though that the frequency of large events in Richmond is way down. Just ask RIC Airport - he has all the data to back it up.

Whether that is due to a decrease in frequency of the types of events that perform well here ("Miller C") or some of the other things I mentioned I am not sure.

Large events?? As in fantasy on the models?

Just because the models say it may happen dosnt mean it's written in stone .. Especially for this area..History proves that..... People rely on them way too much.. Big storms like this are also way over hyped with the media and social sites these days..

Large events?? As in fantasy on the models?

Just because they say it may happen dosnt make it written in stone for this area..History proves that.....

When you look at the RIC snowstorm history, there is about a 60% correlation with DCA and about a 40% with RDU. It's the RDU/SE snowstorm connection that has been lacking over the last 25 years. The SE storms are the ones that would deliver say... 6"+ at RIC, but spare DC and the rest of the NE cities. And although RIC isn't a particularly snowy city, the frequency of events 12"+ from 1897 to 1983 would suggest that RIC should've gotten 2 or 3 12"+ events over the last 30 years. Some of them would be celebrated with the rest of the big NE cities like February 1983 and some with a SE connection such as January 26, 1966 or March 1980. At least that is the rough idea I get when I look at the storm history if that makes sense. 

SMH 

Well, another Richmond sleet storm. What's new? I'd say 7 inches of snow and sleet combined here in the city. Back to some good snow though and radar looks promising, would love to see us get over 10 inches. Thoughts if that's possible with today's stuff?

Also I had Charlottesville pegged as getting nailed in this storm, but looks like they will come in way under predicted. Anyone know how much on ground there?

Archived