joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
NOT DC/NOVA discussion

JMU2004

• Replies 960
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yeah was hoping some more of the knowledgeable people on here would shed more light for central va. I'm thinking that the gfs is further north with the large snow amounts and the euro is further south with the really crazy snow amounts? If so I'm glad the euro is on our side at the moment!

Yeah we are ALWAYS the dividing line in these storms. For metro Richmond 20 miles can be difference between a legit snowstorm, and a slop fest. Makes these things, well let's say interesting. But also means most of the threads on here just don't really speak directly to our area.

Tough times right now for the Hoos. I mean it doesn't make sense really, 3 Top 10 wins, and now can't get a road W in ACC to save their lives. I think its a matter of missing Anderson/Atkins way more than anyone anticipated. Been kind of spoiled by their dominance past few years! I trust Bennett will figure this out, at least somewhat

Was telling someone the same thing today. We have no goalie, nobody to stop the drives to the bucket. That and the fact that Brogdan acts like he's playing in a pick up game. Way too many silly turnovers from him.

was just in a long conversation about this. Agreed, Brogdon has disappeared. And he's taking really bad shots now.

But I think the biggest problem is like you said: no Atkins or Mitchell to protect the rim. So there's a huge weakness in the pack line. And then no Harris or Anderson to bomb from deep and keep defenses honest. So there's a huge weakness in the offense. Is what it is, but it's adding up to not the same UVa team from past years.

(Sorry this went off topic folks)

Another Hoos fan here and season ticket holder. I agree fully about Brogdon. He's taken more bad shots in the last few games than he took in the previous 2 seasons combined.

So about this storm... I'm in Powhatan county now, my first winter here. I'm hoping to avoid mixing issues that usually happen just 15-20 miles east of here. I heard the euro showed 18 inches here.  RIC hasn't seen a foot plus since '83.... we'd need a bump south for that happen.

Another Hoos fan here and season ticket holder. I agree fully about Brogdon. He's taken more bad shots in the last few games than he took in the previous 2 seasons combined.

So about this storm... I'm in Powhatan county now, my first winter here. I'm hoping to avoid mixing issues that usually happen just 15-20 miles east of here. I heard the euro showed 18 inches here. RIC hasn't seen a foot plus since '83.... we'd need a bump south for that happen.

As much as I like to see a foot or more in RIC we all know we pretty much need everything to be perfect for that to happen...Even when things look good for the area mixing or dry air always seem to find it's way in.. I would have to say 4 to 8 inches will be the expected call for most of the RIC... Anything more is gravy IMO... A good snowy start will definitely be key...

I find it pretty damn amazing that RIC has not recorded a snowfall of 12+ since 1983. 33 years. That is just remarkable given that most areas in the region have probably had multiple foot-plus snows during that period. This argues, not scientifically at all of course, that we should be due. But like Eagles says, it is so so hard to get a big snow here. 0Z Euro was the quintessential RVA snowstorm: 20 inches north and west side of city; to 6 inches in Tri-Cities. This area will never be a simple forecast

Yes, even though, I think most of us would agree we received a foot plus in 96.  I measured 19" on Gaskins Road for that storm, there has been a lot of discussion in years past about where RIC measured their snow at the airport and pretty sure Anthony went after this windmill and believe the location where they measure has been changed.

That being said, yeah, I think we will be skating the line again.  How many times have we seen or more accurately heard this movie...it's pouring snow and then when we finally tire, we tuck into bed with the vision of ridiculous totals dancing in our heads only to wake to the dreaded pings hitting the gutter or metal roof.  Alarmed we get on the radar sites and see that warm nose march mercilessly toward Richmond. 

I will be happy with 8"-12" but will be a little sour if we are on the low end of 4"-6" with rain compacting it.  I never trust those backend promises...they never seem to live up to billing.

(just went back and checked my notes, I measured 19" on Gaskins for that storm, thought it was 21") 

Great points there. Many, many a storm here has seemed like a big win unfolding only to turn to sleet and then dry slot. I can't remember the last significant backend snow here, might actually be 1996 when we got several inches the next day, or I think in 2009 that December storm featured some backend accumulation if memory serves. Also agree I'm not sure how RIC avoided a foot in 1996, they were surrounded, on all sides, by reports of 14-16 inches. But they did. And it's now one heck of a streak

I think we all get something, that is for certain.  I know the TV mets are jaded, with good reason given our history.  The big difference with 96 is just the temps.  We were in the 20's at the beginning, during and at the end of that storm.  This storm has such intensity, the cold air will lose the battle to I95 as progged.  There is a strong HP modeled but for it to be strong enough to prevent mixing with this bomb would suppress.

Still a few days to iron out, likely will be locked in tomorrow for track now that it is coming onshore.  If the Euro wins out, as it should, we should all do very well in the accumulation department. 

To clarify, we should all do well, I mean Central VA to Cville, those who were reading and posting.  I know it's a different ball game for Coach and our friends down in SE VA.  I want all winners and participation trophies for all but we know that is tough to get.

Sounds like it according to the DC centric thread where the Mid-Atlantic consists of one city :facepalm:

Apparently the GGEM is of biblical proportions or a BECS...

Exactly. This forum is great for learning but only seems to focus on DC. Would love to see some of the regular posters comment on other cities, etc. 

Good, I was worried about the GFS, know the Euro provides Central VA with a bigger hit but GFS did hit on Sunday so it may have the hot hand.  Local mets not willing to buy in yet on big hit...so it seems, can't say I blame them with our jaded past and plenty of time before the event but this sucker really seems locked in...

That is one heck of a sharp cutoff though, expect nothing less but man, it's feast or famine.

Euro just destroyed Richmond. Just heard it shows 32 inches in the city. Now the biggest 24-hour snowfall in Richmond history is 21 inches I believe, so every grain of salt here. BUT, south trend a good one for us. I personally would rather sweat 10 inches of fluff vs 15 inches than the usual rain/snow line. Long ways to go still.

Yep, the usual RIC in the jackpot 3 days out trick...where is that picture of Lucy pulling the football away from Charlie Brown?  I have a feeling we are going to be the Charlie Browniest again...hope I am wrong, but in honor of Star Wars...I have a bad feeling about this.

Archived