• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Capture of [surface?] Low

jgf

so in reading about the jan 26-27 storm, i saw a few references to the "capture of the Low"  - i think it refers to interaction of a surface low with some upper level feature.., but i don't really know.

i googled it but couldn't find anything.

can someone please explain this process - both in general, and then with particular reference to the busted forecast?

thanks

so in reading about the jan 26-27 storm, i saw a few references to the "capture of the Low"  - i think it refers to interaction of a surface low with some upper level feature.., but i don't really know.

i googled it but couldn't find anything.

can someone please explain this process - both in general, and then with particular reference to the busted forecast?

thanks

Can you post the AFD? It was most likely loose terminology not meant to be taken too literally, but I can try to provide context if you have the source available.

This terminology was used by several posters in the discussion leading up to the recent NE blizzard. That was a huge 2-part thread which I'm not gonna search through, but here's a random post from it that mentions capture of a low:

capture terminology example

I think I understand what what was being talked about, but I too would like to see it spelled out, just to be sure.

This terminology was used by several posters in the discussion leading up to the recent NE blizzard. That was a huge 2-part thread which I'm not gonna search through, but here's a random post from it that mentions capture of a low:

capture terminology example

I think I understand what what was being talked about, but I too would like to see it spelled out, just to be sure.

"Euro led the way capturing a low in time and croaking us" 

I learned about models capturing lows and croaking people in synoptic meteorology, I think.

that's not the sense in which i saw the phrase being used

that poster is just referring to the ability of the model to forecast the low

the usage i saw had something to with interaction with a mid or upper level feature

nevertheless.., it seems that it's not standard usage, so i won't worry about it

You could always ask the poster from your example what was meant.  As for the other sources, without reading the context, I might speculate that it was in reference to the concept of "phase locking" of upper and lower level PV anomalies and their mutual amplification.  Just a guess...

Archived