joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Winter Med Range Discussion days 3-10 pbp II

buckeyefan1

• Replies 3.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The 12 gfs keeps the two pieces of energy separate causing two separate storms.  One in the 2/4-5 time frame and another in the 2/6-7 time which is what brings the snow to Atl.  The cmc is faster w/ the 2nd piece of energy from the northern stream and doesn't dig as far south, phasing it w/ the gulf energy around Va. 

12z GFS shows signs of what could happen with the day 9-10ish storm. This is the one to watch folks. The 12z is extremely colder with the highs 1045 south of the lakes, big difference in whether this is rain or snow. The models clearly don't have the cold figured out, but like I've said the storm signal is there...we'll have to watch the cold trends on the both the OPs and the means, see if it trends colder the closer we get, if so we're in as I don't think this is a type of situation that would lead to supression. Very generally speaking, timing is everything here.

12z GFS shows signs of what could happen with the day 9-10ish storm. This is the one to watch folks. The 12z is extremely colder with the highs 1045 south of the lakes, big difference in whether this is rain or snow. The models clearly don't have the cold figured out, but like I've said the storm signal is there...we'll have to watch the cold trends on the both the OPs and the means, see if it trends colder the closer we get, if so we're in as I don't think this is a type of situation that would lead to supression. Very generally speaking, timing is everything here.

Good post Jon. That time frame needs to be watched closely for a storm. The telleconnections are primed for that time period. The ao will be negative as well as there will be some slight blocking on the nao region as well the pna will be headed positive again. Typhoon tip has a great read in the NE sub forum about this also.

While we are still having to rely on the fantasy range for winter weather, I have been paying more and more attention at the broad picture. A total of 3 separate rain events through 192 hours with the 4th being the winter threat.

This train of low pressure systems lays down a path of 2-4 inches QPF through day 7 with about. 90 percent of the Southeast getting at least 1 inch of rain.

If nothing else the ground moisture content is increasing with each passing week. That will be more of interest to us once we get to Spring and convective weather season

Good post Jon. That time frame needs to be watched closely for a storm. The telleconnections are primed for that time period. The ao will be negative as well as there will be some slight blocking on the nao region as well the pna will be headed positive again. Typhoon tip has a great read in the NE sub forum about this also.

Thanks. Yeah I'm so busy these days I glance at the runs real quick and make a generic post, don't have much time to dissect, wish I could read other thoughts in other forums as I'm sure they are very well thought out. The means and members have been pretty generous for SE snow during that time period, so it's interesting and all depends on the highs and how fast they move/set in. I'm hoping someone in the SE cashes out with this one or a good 90% of us might be jumping. I'll still wait til March 15th or so probably :)

Euro is trying folks don't put this storm to rest yet. 

I mean this is pretty much the Euro playbook for snowstorms in the SE, hints at it in the 10-12 day range get wonky but still throw's us  a bone every coule of days with a snowstorm run until it finally starts to go back to the snowy look it had day 10-12...

Euro is trying folks don't put this storm to rest yet. 

I agree, the weak -AO got a little stronger, the weak -NAO got a little stronger, the PAC ridge/-EPO got a little better.  All that added up to the PV shifting south a little which made all the difference in the world, but we need a little more southern stream interaction to have more precip but not to much.

Verbatim, central NC get's precip holed and all the snow is confined to central VA.

post-2311-0-86488500-1422469719_thumb.pn

What's those red colors doing over the pole, strange.

I wonder what would happen if the PV would drop just a little bit more at this time...

The PV swings east below hundson, if this trend continues, boom. We get a gulf tapped system that bombs off the coast with just enough cold to make the NC happy and maybe more of the SE as well. If the ridge out west builds as well you can forget it, game on.

The PV swings east below hundson, if this trend continues, boom. We get a gulf tapped system that bombs off the coast with just enough cold to make the NC happy and maybe more of the SE as well. If the ridge out west builds as well you can forget it, game on.

You can see @180 it's close but no cigar. If that energy in the south were slower it would probably be a big hit. 

Archived