• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Winter Med Range Discussion days 3-10 pbp II

buckeyefan1

Wow.  I just looked at the 6Z GFS bufkit for Raleigh...  Showing us pretty much dry as a bone throughout the whole thing!

Also, can someone explain what you mean by "cutter"?  I assume a track too far north and west?  

A cutter is a surface low pressure coming out of the southwest which takes a more north/northeast path but west of the Apps.   Generally into the the Ohio Valley or Great Lakes.  This leaves the eastern seaboard and southeast on the warm (rain) side of the storm. Typically you will hear/read those referred to as a 'lakes cutter' or plain 'cutter'

• Replies 3.4k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think there is a real chance this can get too suppressed for us, as I mentioned this a few days back. One thing I would keep in mind is what has happened all winter. We've been rooting for a system to dig in the SW and then eject out....but it just hasn't happened like that so I'm pretty suspicious now of the models digging it so far, not phasing with that cut off in the sw and then going into the meat grinder. Sorry just don't buy it. Not because it's showing a solution I don't want, just that the pattern which hasn't changed really tends to not do that. Typically the energy diving doesn't dive nearly sw enough or experiences sever liftoff once getting into TX. I think the UK probably would be a more likely solution at this point for reality with it's Miller B look as that would fit climo this year. 

Of course anything can happen, I would expect Saturday we start getting a clear picture of things. 

Excellent post.  Well-grounded in solid reasoning and I tend to agree with everything you mentioned.  Pattern has not changed.  No reason for this system to be so suppressed.

The EPS seems to support the op in that it shows potential in the D7-10 period. The EPS Mean tonight for GSO is nearly 3" over that period.

While not the same specifics at this point, 6z GFS shows something at similar time frame.  Interesting week ahead, it seems.

This is going to be a frigid week coming up.  After today, we barely break freezing at any point in Hickory over the next 7 days according to multiple different models.  I don't think I've ever seen negative temperature readings here, but the GFS is pushing us close to -10 F for the Thursday timeframe.  It's amazing what snowpack can do.  Time to reel it in.

ULQPahR.png

Several models have been intermittently showing this finger of precip for next weekend. Based off the thermal profiles on all the models it would be wintry..

I'm not sure I've seen a set up like this before? I haven't really looked into what's causing this streak of precip to break out. Maybe some upper level jet dynamics at play here???

Anybody have any thoughts on it?

post-309-0-15697600-1424019744_thumb.png

Archived