Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
January 26-28 Blizzard Observations/Nowcast

Baroclinic Zone

• Replies 3.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What was the verdict?

Pretty bad in the Brant Rock section. Pieces of houses scattered about. Some look inhabitable. Inches of ice stuck to the houses too. Debris everywhere. Powerlines and poles knocked down from ice and wind. If we had the astronomical tides that happened a few days earlier, it would have been up there with '78 and the perfect storm. The ramp up of winds and surge was timed perfectly there, with high tide prior to dawn. They always get flooded there, but the sea wall giving way led to structural damage. 

Not to weenie out because I lived in that town for years, but the power of a coastal storm is pretty impressive. My ex-girlfriend lived  a block inland in the green harbor section of town. In the Dec 2003 storm, the walls were actually bowing in enough that the picture frames were bouncing off just a bit. The waves would hit the seawall with such force, you could see ripples in your drink if you had it on a coffee table...just like that scene in Jurassic Park..lol. It shook the ground. It's why I enjoy a good storm. I love the power of them. 

• 10 months later...

I have spent the past couple days going through this entire thread, what a fun storm for central and eastern zones of southern new England. Truly remarkable.

Some of the compacted totals vs snowfall totals are a bit extreme but it did snow forever out there and from what I read here it was fluffy or powdery snow

Thirty or forty miles west would have nearly doubled snow fall amounts in this area(close to 20 inches which is what was generally forecasted), we really did not get downsloped or shadowed until late morning after it had been snowing for nearly 20 hours so we really cannot blame that on this event.

What can be learned from this for us folks back here?...an eerily pattern akin to the jan 05 blizzard (forecasted  amounts twice as great as what actually fell)...is there any real precident for huge ct river valley totals with a real bitter arctic air mass in place( combined with explosive development) outside of blizzard of 1888 which was much farther west and south with its explosive development. Why do relative overrunning events/weaker coastals seem to have better luck (pd2,feb83) when these arctic air masses are in place?

blizzard of 78 was in the "desired" position but we were horribly downsloped or dry slotted back here

feb 83 was not a huge explosive bomb of a storm, really more similar to pd2 (tremendous moisture over arctic dome)

blizzard of 96 sort of(kind of shot its load for best snows by the time it got up here 15-16 inches) and feb 13 although I did not think it was that cold during the feb 13 event..feb 01 wasn't that cold...I just think the models underestimate the strength of arctic hp sometimes and these systems tend to slide further south and east and take the best of the goods with them

this one still really really stings....worse than boxing day..

just something I keep thinking about

• 4 weeks later...

Archived