• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
January 26-28 Blizzard Observations/Nowcast

Baroclinic Zone

ORH up to your area especialy and FIT made it by the skin of their teeth while just a few miles west was sucking on subidence exhaust from that band pivoting. There wasn't much room west of 190. I'm guessing you could probably almost watch the snow depth shrink every couple hundred yards as you drive 62 west from Princeton toward Hubbdave.

You're not kidding.  I live in the northwest part of Barre on the Petersham line and got 8", yet on the southeast part of town on the Oakham line, they got over 12".  And it just goes up exponentially as you drive through Oakham, Rutland, Holden, etc...  

• Replies 3.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Did you measure every 6 hours?

Once you get above about 15", measuring every 6 hours can start making those differences a bit more noticeable vs just sticking a yardstick in the ground at the end. That could easily be the difference between 18" and 21"...esp the latter half of the event which was quite fluffy down there.

i did, cleared the snowboard every 6 hours on the dot. My snowboard is slightly shielded by my house so maybe that had something to do with it. Plus the wind was ripping, it was quite tough to get good measurements. Not a huge difference so no big deal. Wonder what the record for Westerly is, as I believe 21" would have been a top 5 for Providence.

Once you get above about 15", measuring every 6 hours can start making those differences a bit more noticeable vs just sticking a yardstick in the ground at the end. That could easily be the difference between 18" and 21"...esp the latter half of the event which was quite fluffy down there.

I know that measuring like this can make a difference in the total at the end of the storm, but I often hear the general public cry b.s. because they measured in a similar location at the end and got a significantly lesser total.  Especially snow like this where it seems to compact rather quickly at the end. 

I know in the end it doesn't matter, because it's just snow, but sometimes I wish the t.v. mets would explain how some of the train spotters take their measurements.  This would help fend off the slipper wearing, p.j. wearing, and Rhinestone cat sweatshirt wearing crowd who, while holding their 48oz coffee, opens the slider and sticks a ruler in the into the snow on their deck at the end of a big storm.

I am just sitting back in awe at this storm for many reasons

To think at midnight friday nite , this had never been much on guidance and the way it just showed up unanimously on Saturday 12z as a damn KU beginning monday blows my mind.

And the way the snow would just not quit , this was probably the top storm of my life.

4/97 was second (raynham,ma)

You're not kidding.  I live in the northwest part of Barre on the Petersham line and got 8", yet on the southeast part of town on the Oakham line, they got over 12".  And it just goes up exponentially as you drive through Oakham, Rutland, Holden, etc...  

Yeah I was 30 miles removed from sniffing a foot, I think I would have blown a gasket if I was only 5-10 miles from the heavy bands. 

I don't know who is reporting to NWS BOX from Greenfield but they are slant sticking or measuring drifts.

There is no way anyone in Greenfield got 10.2"  as reported in the PNS storm totals for Franklin Co.  Also says it was from a co-op report which I've never seen from Greenfield.

I sent in a report with half that amount. They almost always used to use my totals in the PNS and this year they have been going with somebody who has out measured my totals every storm!  

I may write to them this afternoon.

Are you talking about clearing the board every 6 hours?  I thought that it went back to the old way and the recommendation was to not do that?

Edit: actually this guideline says that you should only do the every six hour measurements if asked to:

http://nws.noaa.gov/om/coop/reference/Snow_Measurement_Guidelines.pdf

Otherwise, it says to add up the periods of snow.

I don't know who is reporting to NWS BOX from Greenfield but they are slant sticking or measuring drifts.

There is no way anyone in Greenfield got 10.2"  as reported in the PNS storm totals for Franklin Co.  Also says it was from a co-op report which I've never seen from Greenfield.

I sent in a report with half that amount. They almost always used to use my totals in the PNS and this year they have been going with somebody who has out measured my totals every storm!  

I may write to them this afternoon.

Opened his east facing garage door, got a ruler and a nice clean measurement from inside. 

Well this is probably the best and biggest meltdown we've ever seen.

This is H20 poster from Watertown, CT yesterday..He gave me permission to post this.

Enjoy

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TKQcbGfv020&feature=youtu.be

Promised snow? You mean someone can promise me snow? Dang... I've been missing out too!

An inch yesterday evening brings our total to 14.5".  We were just a few miles from much larger totals, but also just a few miles from much less, so feeling very fortunate overall.  With the preexisting snow cover, depth is 18-19" in lots of spots, so there's plenty of snow to play in.  My only regret was that their wasn't much snowfall here during daylight yesterday.

If a few of the upcoming chances work out, we could have a snow depth >20" for four of the last five winters (10-11, 12-13 (Nemo), 13-14), with 10-11 and 12-13 getting up over 30".  That seems like a remarkable run for these parts, and I'm really curious how often it's happened before.

Well this is probably the best and biggest meltdown we've ever seen.

This is H20 poster from Watertown, CT yesterday..He gave me permission to post this.

Enjoy

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=TKQcbGfv020&feature=youtu.be

It's flat out hilarious watching it with Closed Captioning. If you're a fan of Bad Lip Syncing you should entertain this short video with CC.

Archived