Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
January 26-28 Blizzard Observations/Nowcast

Baroclinic Zone

• Replies 3.1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What's your Compact number? I need One more date with a Band (I sound like an 18 year old whinny American girl) to get to my Illustrious 24", but my compacts are 11"-18". Really Really Low.

I'm in a terrible area with lots of trees, so I really can't get an accurate number I could feel comfortable with. I unofficially use my deck/table, but even there I got a lot of drifting from the roof on storms like this. But I took the NWS's official (trained spotter) number at 1:30 today and added to their total my measurements to come up with 33.0" which is supported by local amounts. 

The glass picnic table I have on my deck is averaging 23" +/-

I'm the source of that report of 29". I actually put 'airport too low as usual it appears' in the comments section when submitting the report.

Moderate snow again now. It just keeps going.

I had 30" at 11pm.

It just seems to me funny how the Airport's observed obs are ALWAYS well below trained spotters who litter the Boston area and the surrounding suburbs. This is easily a top 5 snowfall, if not top 3, but since the Airport's measurement is all that matters...

BOS up to 24.4" as of midnight, claiming only 1.1" between 7 and midnight? That seems way too low in that 6 hour period.

~30" is the right number as backed up by measurements from Jay, myself, and others on the PNS. 

Ugh, they really need to correct that. It's literally surrounded by 30"+, there is no way they're less than 28".

Hey Boston metro folks, what an awesome finish for us.., 

The last 12 hours have put this into a top 3 or 4 Boston snowstorm for me (behind Jan 2005 --- way more ferocious than this imo, and April 1997 being a different beast entirely).

At noon I was skeptical of the prolonged HRRR/RAP "keeps going till midnight" snowfalls, but looks like they nailed these mesoscale features. 

Beautiful fat fluffy dendrites now.

Let Logan measure as it will... It's been a frustration as long as I can remembr. it's like using one of the Harbor Islands for a Boston measurement.

But wish media would consistently use something like Boston commons for the official Boston report.

some photos from Jerry's hood:

post-3106-0-08140000-1422426784_thumb.jp

This fence is about 6 feet tall:

post-3106-0-96227700-1422427062_thumb.jp

Looks like one more round of good snows coming but I've got to bow out, can't keep my eyes open. Will go with 32" for a final(Measured 29-30 ish when I last went out around 8 and just adding what Jay reported in that timeframe to that) unless anything explosive happens while I'm sleeping. What. An. Event.

Going to take a walk around the city tomorrow and check out the scene, pretty exciting stuff.

CONGRATS on THE BIG SNOW, Bostonians.

Best be grateful I aint there. I'd shovel up all your snow. You'd be dealin' with The Jebman. Weathafella would be takin' notes on how to shovel snow.

You guys are getting as bad as I used to be with those emoticons, LOL, but I can't blame you all, if I had snow up to MY 8ss, I would probably be using a bunch of emoticons too.

Definitely top storm in the record books for Harwich, MA since I have been alive, 25 years.

It pleases me to No end to see that. I'm going to drive around tomorrow. See this amazing system that was, yes, I'm going to say it, a Modern Day more North Blizzard of 1978. Just did not have a small area of 36" - 50".

There. I uttered the Holy Grail. At 4:20am on January 28th, 2015. TJ Del Santo told me this looked just like it on Sunday. He nailed that too. So many 30"-36" Amounts and 39 Hours of Snow. #1's and #2's and #3's all over. For me, this was almost Identical to December 5-6, 2003 in every way. And RAY, You called that on Sunday. I had 22" in 44 Hours of snow. Though I remember that storm for the snowbanks as for whatever reason when I was done shoveling they were higher than any storm I've ever shoveled. Every storm has its random nuance. That was Dec. 5-6's.

What a Storm today. I LIVE to Break Records. Create more knowledge that climate change is happening and volatility and weather is happening. Thanks to you all for making sure I came home for this most epic, of a weather system.

Snowily -

The Snowman

Amazed it snowed a good part of the night. I'm going to disagree with wxniss on 2005 vs this. This one had longer duration, slightly more snow, and it happened during the week. I agree 4/97 probably takes the cake of the past 25 years but I would put this bad boy as number 2. Curious to see if BOS can report another 0.6 to crack 25.

Did Ray crack 30 or did her fall asleep before the last measurement? I'd be surprised if he didn't.

Archived