• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Forecast/storm discussions and part II Manitoba Mauler

Damage In Tolland

Think most of us get paranoid right before the event when a sucker hole is likely. It's one thing to have a storm whiff one way or another...but when everyone around you gets nailed and you can't manage persistent heavy snow, it's the worst IMO. We've all been there. But if you get lucky things break your way. I remember being paranoid about getting sucker holed in the Feb 2013 storm...most of the models had this area in the screw zone...I was pretty pessimistic up until the deform band moved ashore from LI around 5-6pm. 30" later...  

I remember this well.  

The CRV had a really bad run of luck between about 2003-2010 where we would always be on the low end of storm totals, and I became convinced (despite Ryan's assurances) that there was something about this area (downsloping, etc). that just made it a snow hole.  That completely turned around in Jan 2011, and we've been doing really well for most storms since then, Nemo especially.

The downsloping effect can be real, but it's only an issue for certain kinds of storms, and it doesn't come up that much.

I've become pretty well convinced that models just don't yet have the skill to resolve the meso features that create jackpots and snow holes during big storms.  They'll set up somewhere, but I try not to sweat the details of each model run, and reality always offers many surprises.

The Euro has been just as consistent.  I'm a proud Euro hugger.  It's not perfect, but it's very rarely that wrong.

I've hugged the euro since it dropped 30 in NYC on 3 consecutive runs....to only see it tick east on the next 3. So yea, Im hugging it but I wouldn't be surprised if it ticked east again tonight, actually...i expect it to. 

Some models just shouldnt be used..it causes confusion and panic......and I fall right into it lol. I admit, I am not ashamed that my butt cheeks are tightly clenched for the next 8 hours. 

Haha, yeah like the RAP at 18 hours out.

I would've expected a much better H7 presentation than wrapping dry air in and split omega.  That should be a wall of high RH and omega jamming from NYC through New England up into Maine.

rap_namer_018_700_rh_ht.gif

GFS qpf totals will bring frowns to lots of faces.  Still a decent storm.

Ride the EC.

snowing lightly at the Pit.

16.4/6

BOX not buying.  They are riding a different horse:

OVERALL WENT WITH MESOSCALE MODELS /MAINLY THE NAM WITH A TOUCH

OF THE WRF/ ALONG WITH A EC/WPC BLEND POINT TO THE TWO AREAS IN

QUESTION FOR SNOW-BANDING. ALL OTHER MODELS /GFS-CANADIAN-UKMET/

WERE CLUSTERED A BIT FASTER. OVERALL IT REMAINS A CHALLENGE AS

THERE IS A SPREAD IN THE FORECAST GUIDANCE OF LOW POSITIONING AND

THERE REMAINS FORECAST UNCERTAINTY.

They're map has not updated from this morning but my 4:30 zone forecast is still 18-24"