SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
1/25-1/27 Clipper-Miller B Obs/Nowcasting

WxUSAF

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I came out of work on Friday with snow and 44 degrees in Laurel MD. That is the warmest I have ever seen snow.

I once saw snow at 48 degrees. It was in Oakton in mid March back in the 1980s. A midday squall came through as a reinforcing shot of arctic air came in. Temperatures had briefly shot up to to 52 in the compressional downsloping ahead of the front. The clouds rolled in very much like a line of summer thunderstorms. Heavy wet snow started falling at a blinding intensity as the temperature was initially 48. The glued together flakes were the size of cat heads. The ground got coated during the squall as temperatures fell into the mid 30s in about 10min.

Then there was the February back-to-back coastal. I think that was 1986 or '87? I seem to recall that snowfall began, as snow, with temperatures around 46. They promptly tanked that time too. 

Anyhow, it's 40 here just north of Leesburg. We've had a few spits of snowflakes in the last hour. They're the kind of flakes that either fall in a straight line like a rock sinking in a pond, or they fall diagonally, but still blindingly fast. If you get lucky enough to see one land on the ground you can see the crystals for about .6sec before they're fully melted. 

Just came in from being outside. I guess wearing short sleeves isn't a good sign of snow? Big drop in temps. Was 48, now a hour later I'm way down to 47. Bring on the snow! THIS WINTER IS A DUMPSTER FIRE.

ok, I fell better (not really). When's the next clipper?

Not a dumpster fire, this winter is a full-fledged HELL, with no way out for all of us Mid Atlantic'ers.

My point-and-click still has snow after 3am with up to an inch, 1-3 tomorrow and 1-2 tomorrow night...I would be overjoyed to see that (even the low end), but I fully expect to see it still around 40 and rain by tomorrow morning. This reminds me of that Feb 3-ish storm last year where a changeover was supposed to take place with 3-5" or something like that, but we only got a slushy coating. That's what I see with this case.

Damn I wish I had the means and opportunity to zip up to NYC or Bos to enjoy an event like this.

My point-and-click still has snow after 3am with up to an inch, 1-3 tomorrow and 1-2 tomorrow night...I would be overjoyed to see that (even the low end), but I fully expect to see it still around 40 and rain by tomorrow morning. This reminds me of that Feb 3-ish storm last year where a changeover was supposed to take place with 3-5" or something like that, but we only got a slushy coating. That's what I see with this case. Damn I wish I had the means and opportunity to zip up to NYC or Bos to enjoy an event like this.

The cold front is coming south. But will it make it while we still have precip? Who knows.

2xne_sf_anim.gif

Archived