joxey
Bust of the Century January 26-27 2015 model suites and discussions

Morris

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Over the rainbow? 

:-)

Port Jeff is as close as any place to it...the rainbow, that is :)  Have a good one pal.

Amazingly tight cyclone generating its own cold air aloft...aided & abetted by the developing arctic anticyclone over Quebec...look at the region of localized -10 C temps @850 mb progged from around CT down to coastal NJ on the west side of the system. 

Doesn't the euro usually follow the Ukmet to some degree I used to hear mets mention it.

Not sure where this tidbit originated but both are separate forecast systems.  Tradiaionally, the ECM and UKMet are 1 and 2 in the model performance.  SO with the uk run coming out first then the ecm maybe that's where it started.

There's a reason why the Euro is so superior.  I was reading from their site about their setup, (http://www.ecmwf.int/en/computing/our-facilities), and they have a supercomputer configuration that provides multiple petaflop processing power.  A petaflop is 10 15 floating point operations per second, which is insane.  The most powerful comp in the world in China is around 30-35 petaflop.  I don't think the US models run on hardware anywhere near this powerful.

Archived