Newest Member
    joxey
Storm Disco for Manitoba Mauler 01/26/27

Damage In Tolland

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Yeah.

Some seem to be like 'wtf it's a historic storm just enjoy it, don't worry about jackpotting' - I disagree. I think of course I would like to be in a jackpot. Everyone does at heart. But my true interest lies in trying to find out where the banding and localized jacks will occur. These massive storms don't happen often. This is an opportunity to study many different things right now. Trying to nail down the heavier jacks is extremely tough and I'm very much mesmerized by the situation.

This is alarmingly similar to 78' in some ways. The winds will be high, snow totals will be off the charts, there will be coastal flooding. I actually think the snowfall total map from that storm will not be far off from the impending blizzard coming tomorrow. I was naturally not even close to being alive for 78'. How does the impacts compare from that storm to this one? 

Well, for one thing the Blizzard of 78 had 4 astronomical high tides, this one supposed to have 2.  City of Boston was shut down for days.  RTE 128 was clogged with vehicles after a tractor trailer jackknifed.   We did get to meet a lot of neighbors since walking was the only form or transportation... 

Ugh...such a tough forecast here. I hate being on the western fringe of these coastals all the time. It's basically our version of trying to forecast the rain/snow line on the coast.

The 12z Euro clobbers W MA, W CT, down to NYC with a deformation band that basically sets up and rots over us, while the 18z GFS and NAM are a hair east and keeps us out of the best of it.

So, will this be a 12/26/10, 1/12/11 or 10/29/11 redux or will this be like Nemo and the firehose storms in 2013 where I got robbed? The former 3 were all great storms here, but the latter 2 were classic screw jobs. Nemo was especially painful watching the death band pivot northwest to a point and then stopping just short of here before beginning its collapse to the SE.

I'm already feeling a bit like MPM and having my share of QPF worries. I may need get myself and as many people as I can to go outside and blow as hard as they can toward the west. It might just work, lol.

You must ride the Euro until it's track gives you less than 3' of snow.  In that case it must be wrong so embrace the GFS. 

Good luck to all.  I'm hoping my flight gets canceled.

Agreed. I think there's a relative -- emphasis on relative -- screw zone between there and a coastal front which may be where snows also linger strongest and longest. A little nervous, but whatever. Looks like a fun storm.

The damn thing does a loop dee loop south of us. Gonna be a ton of nowcasting. Be happy we aren't in NYC.

Well, for one thing the Blizzard of 78 had 4 astronomical high tides, this one supposed to have 2.  City of Boston was shut down for days.  RTE 128 was clogged with vehicles after a tractor trailer jackknifed.   We did get to meet a lot of neighbors since walking was the only form or transportation... 

Also, wasn't there a forecast bust shortly beforehand which deteriorated confidence at a time when forecasting capability was far less than today's still far-less-than-perfect world?

Eric fisher is the most aggressive on air met I've seen so far. 20-30 with isolated 36 from Boston to SE mass through Rhode island eastern conn.

He's actually tamer than NWS... 

In fact, most I'm talking to think that 24-36" is overdone.

00z should be interesting...

Sbos can u scientifically explain why your thinking NYC bust, euro has shown 3 straight consistent runs of 30+

I'm looking at the mid level rh/omega etc. Euro has the westward path of the storm. All the other models are further east with the stall. Euro is damned good but I think a little too far west. It's all about the path and the track. I think 24-36" was absolutely ridiculous of a guess for that area, especially with the model question marks and lack of a consensus for such a high amount in that area. The slight ticks SE in all other modeling today leads me to believe that the euro will correct itself east. I thought earlier today it might be the other way around; with the other modeling ticking west toward the euro. It seems as if naturally the only thing for the euro to do is to make a slight change to the east. NYC will still have a very good snowstorm, but 24-36" seems high. I could see that over LI up into E CT and up into ORH. That is the edge of the extent of the mid level dry slot on the majority of modeling. Usually there is a very intense mid level fronto band right on the edge of the dry slot. I just don't think there is enough time for that much snow to fall near NYC. 2-3 feet? A track like that historically favors any amounts to that extreme in SNE.

You must ride the Euro until it's track gives you less than 3' of snow.  In that case it must be wrong so embrace the GFS. 

Good luck to all.  I'm hoping my flight gets canceled.

You flying out of BDL on Tuesday? If so, I'd say you'll more than likely get cancelled. BDL stands to be a somewhat better position than us. I have higher confidence of 18"+ totals east of the CT River in MA and south of the CT/MA border than I do west or north of those points. 

The 00z suite should hopefully help to pin down the position of the low better. Is it south of ACK or MTK? Makes a big difference in these parts.

My guess is somewhat north and west of the 1978 maximum axis. NW RI, NE CT, ORH, to LWM 25-30 miles either side. But all depends on where bands set up. Maybe secondary max on Eastern slopes of Berks, if the storm is slightly west or does loup de loups. Ain't no one gonna get under a foot in this NWS region except maybe the outer Cape and Nantucket.

Archived