Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Central PA & the fringes - January 2015 Part II

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Can't we have ONE FREAKING STORM where we don't have to worry about fringing, mix lines, or any of that bullshyte?

Nope. And to think, yesterday we were worried about being on the northern edge. I do have to agree with paweather though, it isn't a long duration, yet, where we're above 0c at 850. Most of this event is still snow with a little ice, at least in my backyard. That being said, the northern push of mid level warmth has to stop...now.

I was thinking the same thing...when those maps from earlier today were showing a statewide plastering, I thought to myself "this is too good to be true."

And, unfortunately...it looks like it was. 

You know, there's a reason why big, double digit snows are a once in a decade event down this way. We, and I'm not including you because I know how painful it was up that way in previous years, but down here (and especially in NYC) were utterly spoiled. 

South of the PA/NY border, it's a fool's errand to be hopeful about SWF events. They're New England and upstate NY storms, almost to a T. 

Not necessarily, if much of it falls as freezing rain down there. That could be much more than a nuisance.

That's the one thing about Tamaqua. If we flip to freezing rain, somehow the surface temps make a rapid rise to 33 degrees. I've never seen more than a quarter inch in town proper. Up in McAdoo and along I-81 on the ridgetop is a different story though.

voyager thanks I still don't know why people look at a model verbatim it is happening verbatim on NAM is 3-4 inches and then a mix but that's verbatim when did that work out. I'll still say NAM not bad right now

It'll be interesting to see if the GFS follows the NAM's lead like it has all day or if it holds serve where it was at 18z.

Weird dryslot keeps showing up on NAM lol.

That's cuz it has the low moving right over our heads. Track like that would feature a front thump that would probably shut off to more scattered precip that mixes and changes back to snow whenever the low passes by. Snowfall would obviously be hurt in the southern tier by mixing but also by the fact the best precip would be from 80 on north anyways. 

That's cuz it has the low moving right over our heads. Track like that would feature a front thump that would probably shut off to more scattered precip that mixes and changes back to snow whenever the low passes by. Snowfall would obviously be hurt in the southern tier by mixing but also by the fact the best precip would be from 80 on north anyways.

I was wondering about dry slotting.

Archived