• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Fabulous February Arctic Outbreak

DaculaWeather

Yes, for the Friday system, if the SLP develops in Arkansas and moves ENE across Kentucky, that's going to crank up the southerly flow out ahead in the Tennessee Valley. However, timing is as much a wrench as position. Perhaps the SLP advances eastward much faster, then moist southerly flow is essentially forced over a deep layer airmass below freezing and surfaces below freezing for a good bit of time before the the deep layer can moderate to above freezing. The same areas could experience freezing rain that experienced it on the 16th and other areas might get quite a bit of snow before transitioning to IP, then ZR, and eventually rain. Kentucky could get pounded with another significant snowfall event before p-type transition. Of course, if the low takes a more southern track through Tennessee, they could remain a snow event. There will be plenty of cold air in place across the Ohio Valley.

• Replies 950
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Starting to get concerned about high winds for areas that still have significant icing on the trees and lines. You can see the mid-level shortwave energy associated with the clipper over the Ark/Mo border bowing out and quickly advancing east. Folks in Arkansas have reported high winds in a line of thundersnow storms passing across the state.

I'm diggin the HRRR and RAP look of the main band with the backside finger that moves through. This is not a euphemism.

I was just looking at the HRRR. The band takes on a convective appearance at the end of the run. I hoping it holds off until the afternoon to enhance the convective chances. Would be cool to hear thundersnow.

136e06d22b4d04472485385ebb3378e7.jpg

21120f9eb6af6abcb0538f28b530f924.jpg

a10b4e37e752ee9c94f922505393a080.jpg

Some CAPE showing up tomorrow at 3 pm. Not very much at 196 j/kg but it's there nonetheless.

e6f221082d85c13e76dcade662e6e2c6.jpg

NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE NASHVILLE TN

937 PM CST TUE FEB 17 2015

.UPDATE...LATEST HRRR CONTINUES TO BRING A BAND OF REFLECTIVITY

ACROSS MAINLY NORTHERN MIDDLE TENNESSEE AND THE PLATEAU

OVERNIGHT. BEST ESTIMATES FOR TIMING ARE CKV AROUND 08Z, BNA

AROUND 09Z, AND CSV AROUND 11Z. ENHANCES ECHOES WITHIN THE LARGER

BAND SUGGEST THE HRRR IS HONING IN ON SOME CONVECTIVE POTENTIAL,

SO BRIEF PERIODS OF HEAVIER SNOW ARE POSSIBLE, ESPECIALLY NORTH OF

I-40. HAVE ALREADY MADE SOME ADJUSTMENTS TO THE GRIDS BASED ON

EARLIER RUNS OF THE HRRR AND WILL SEND OUT AN UPDATE SHORTLY.

&&

From JKL, hopefully this also translates into SWVA/Tennessee.

AN ARCTIC COLD FRONT WILL SHIFT SOUTH WITH TEMPERATURES
FALLING AND STRONG WINDS DEVELOPING. LAPSE RATES WILL BECOME VERY
STEEP FROM SFC-700MB. WITH THE -20 HEIGHT FALLING TO AROUND
850MB...THIS WILL SET THE STAGE FOR SNOW SQUALLS ACROSS THE REGION
WITH WHITE OUT CONDITIONS AND A FEW WIND GUSTS UP TO 35 MPH. GIVEN
THE HEIGHT OF THE -20C LAYER AND THE EXPECTED CONVECTIVE NATURE OF
SNOW...HAVE INTRODUCED SOME ISOLATED THUNDER. THE SNOW THIS
MORNING AND THIS AFTERNOON WILL BE LIGHT AND FLUFFY AND PRONE TO
BLOWING AND DRIFTING WHICH WILL CAUSE PROBLEMS FOR THOSE OUT
DRIVING AROUND THIS AFTERNOON. NO CHANGES WERE MADE TO THE WINTER
WEATHER ADVISORY AS EVERYTHING REMAINS ON TRACK FOR SOME ROUGH
CONDITIONS TODAY.

Streak broken for OHX?  WTVF reported 1.2" at the weather office, with another band yet to come through.

Likely it is - we have another 1 1/2" or so on top of the 2 1/2" of sleet - growing concerned about the Friday night time period, although progged to change to rain Saturday, if we get another .25 or so of freezing rain on top of what we have already it might be bad news

The GGEM lays down some pretty heavy snow with the Friday system. The areas along the TN border with both GA and Kentucky see up to 15mm of liquid to snow on the 00z run. That's .6 qpf. As a result it drops 6+ inches both in the southern Valley and the Northern Valley/Plateau and more up into Kentucky. Then it changes to sleet/zr and finally to rain.

Judging by the cake of ice on my roof and by what's coming this weekend - once the ice melts we could see considerable flooding.

EDIT: If Knoxville and Nashville both get a solid 1-2" today (which is possible) on top of the ice, and the cold really moves in tonight and tomorrow and tomorrow night (which it will), something tells me 0 for lows at Knoxville for both nights anyways are a given. This snow isn't going anywhere today or tomorrow, and may not go anywhere on Friday before the next round hits.

In Knoxville we hit 31 yesterday but with all the cloudcover hardly any ice melted around here.

I'm all for a nice big thump of morning snow on Saturday, but with nothing melting between now and then things are just getting dangerous.

This is already one of the juiciest clippers I've ever seen down here. Getting close a half an inch down now. As far as Friday is concerned: fool me once. . .

I'll believe it once it is on the ground and not a minute before.

Yep same here bout a half an inch and still snowing...  Hope for some convective now that sun is up.  Wind hasn't started here yet but that is my biggest worry.

Just noticed this in the MRX HWO:

ANOTHER WEATHER SYSTEM DEVELOPS TO THE WEST FRIDAY...SPREADING
CLOUDS AND SNOW INTO THE SOUTHERN APPALACHIANS AND EASTERN
TENNESSEE VALLEY FRIDAY AND EARLY SATURDAY. SNOW ACCUMULATIONS OF 2
TO 4 INCHES ARE POSSIBLE BY SATURDAY MORNING. AMOUNTS MAY BECOME
HIGHER PRIOR TO PRECIPITATION CHANGING TO SLEET AND FREEZING
RAIN.
..BEFORE WIDESPREAD RAIN WORKS NORTHWARD THROUGH EAST
TENNESSEE ON SATURDAY. SOME AREAS...ESPECIALLY NORTHEAST TENNESSEE
AND SOUTHWEST VIRGINIA VALLEYS...MAY EXPERIENCE A FEW HOURS OF
FREEZING RAIN PRIOR TO THE CHANGE OVER TO ALL RAIN.
ABUNDANT
RAINFALL AND WARM TEMPERATURES SHOULD RELIEVE ANY ICING PROBLEMS.
LOCALIZED FLOODING MAY BECOME A PROBLEM DUE TO RAPIDLY MELTING SNOW
PACK.

Archived