SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
February mid to long range threats discussion

Ji

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Feb 1 trending from Miller A to Miller B to suppression with clipper north of us.  At least on the GFS over the last 4-6 runs....  Can someone throw a bone here?

Just focus on the short term. Placement and timing of the shortwaves will continue to wreak havoc on ops for days. One thing is pretty clear, it's going to be cold. We have no way of knowing the fine details. 

I will say this, the general pattern looks very stable for 2 weeks. We're going to be pretty busy tracking things. Next weekend looks to have the best combo of a -ao and neutral or -nao that we've seen all year. The only thing I doubt is something tracking north of us. Too far south could be a problem if something materializes.  

Just focus on the short term. Placement and timing of the shortwaves will continue to wreak havoc on ops for days. One thing is pretty clear, it's going to be cold. We have no way of knowing the fine details. 

I will say this, the general pattern looks very stable for 2 weeks. We're going to be pretty busy tracking things. Next weekend looks to have the best combo of a -ao and neutral or -nao that we've seen all year. The only thing I doubt is something tracking north of us. Too far south could be a problem if something materializes.  

Bob, You are getting wise in your old age.

Bob, You are getting wise in your old age.

Ha! It took me a couple years too long to not wear the goggles all the time. I owe quite a bit to you. I've probably read every single post and article you've written. 

I really like what I see for the next couple weeks. Even if it's northern stream dominant, overall height patterns seem pretty favorable for our area when we usually blow chunks in that dept. Ji will only be happy if the southern stream goes nuts and we get 3 hecs in 15 minutes. And no hecs when he has a guitar gig. 

GFS is showing a very potent Miller B-type storm that wrecks Pennsylvania, Ohio, and some of the NE. I think it's all rain for us though.

Edit - At Hour 219...wow.

K43StTO.gif

Yeah, the system sort of looks like an apps runner that's a bit farther east of there, and goes practically right over us.  Taken at face value, we'd have some kind of freezing/frozen going to rain, then temps absolutely crash.  And there's a fair bit of precip it appears after they crash, which would be snow.  Almost like a back-end snow, which you can sort of see in the snow map you posted.  Still over 200 hours out, but that general signal has been there pretty often for that time frame.

Archived