joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Potential Major East Coast Storm on Saturday Part 2

IsentropicLift

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What we've learned is that the new Goofus is just as bad as the old Goofus. New computers and same old GFS.

Increasing model resolution but keeping the same cumulus parameterization will still create significant convective feedback problems. In fact it might exacerbate those problems. 

The GFS (and the ECMWF to an extent) for this system have had convective feedback problems that were originally over-intensifying the surface cyclone and preventing poleward moisture flux. You aren't going to be able to handle these sub-synoptic details until you get < 24 h which is what we are seeing now. 

The ECMWF does have a elevated warm nose like Phil mentioned, it's just not as pronounced as the NAM 

ScreenHunter_116%20Jan.%2023%2015.34.png

What hour and what location is this?

If it's Accuwx, the lat-lon for NYC is for KJFK, if I'm not mistaken. Which would be warmer then Central Park.

Here is what I was talking about with the NAM before... note how the temperature gradient is tighter in the 18z run vs. the 12z run over NYC. The winds along this temperature gradient are strongly convergent over the temperature gradient, which implies frontogenesis. 

Stronger Temperature Gradient + Convergent Flow --> Stronger Frontogenesis ---> More Vertical Motion ---> More Precipitation. There isn't as much precipitation on the northern edge because the frontogenesis is confined further south.  

nam_loop.gif

Here is what I was talking about with the NAM before... note how the temperature gradient is tighter in the 18z run vs. the 12z run over NYC. The winds along this temperature gradient are strongly convergent over the temperature gradient, which implies frontogenesis. 

Stronger Temperature Gradient + Convergent Flow --> Stronger Frontogenesis ---> More Vertical Motion ---> More Precipitation. There isn't as much precipitation on the northern edge because the frontogenesis is confined further south.  

nam_loop.gif

please come on and post more - some of the best posts of the entire board.... 

How much faith can we put into the CCB prediction being made by the models? I remember similar CCB model outcomes for storms in the past that did not come to fruition. In particular Feb '14 comes to mind when the area got between 8-12" during the initial hours, then we had a dry period, and then the area was going to get slammed with the CCB, only to see flurries.

I think the higher resolution causes it to overreact to every little change and causes worse run to run swings

Yes, because higher resolution models has more degrees of freedom to deviate from the initial conditions. Since the initial conditions aren't perfect (we introduce convective-scale errors which quickly grow upscale and influence the synoptic-scale.

Global models don't typically have as much run to run variability because their initial conditions are more on the synoptic-scale which is actually better sampled (e.g. we sample long-wave troughs a lot better than we sample individual convective elements). Synoptic scale processes have higher predictability out the longer time scales, so you don't see as much run to run variability of global models in their first 24-48 hours. 

Archived