joxey
1/25-1/26 Snow Threat

DDweatherman

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What happened to "It's just the NAM?"

Again..

The NAM by itself and especially past 48 hours is mostly conversational, good for trends.

The NAM SUPPORTED by other good models or supporting other good models is another story.

Look, nobody is saying bail now...it's still a little early..but given the trends, it just doesn't look good. I hope I'm wrong.

Exactly.

People have been  here long enough to know how it goes from here without having to sit through the entire movie.

I dunno if it's that clear cut yet... the trough evolution has been different on a lot of runs even if we ended up snow with many. I should probably wait to press post till I see the GFS in a few minutes.

I dunno if it's that clear cut yet... the trough evolution has been different on a lot of runs even if we ended up snow with many. I should probably wait to press post till I see the GFS in a few minutes.

It's not set it stone...the trend is troubling.  We both know it usually doesn't just stop once it keeps going.

I'd wait for the GFS

Again..

The NAM by itself and especially past 48 hours is mostly conversational, good for trends.

The NAM SUPPORTED by other good models or supporting other good models is another story.

Look, nobody is saying bail now...it's still a little early..but given the trends, it just doesn't look good. I hope I'm wrong.

When the better models dig this thing way, way south, transfer to the coast, then go negative and eventually cut off over New England, then I'll worry. Until then, I'm going to assume the NAM is overs long this thing. I'll be pissed if I'm being overly optimistic though. :lol:

Especially since the GFS has handled clippers better than the Euro in just about every clipper scenario this month. I think it's also important to note that with each clipper we had a set of runs at close range which caused collective panic initially, only to be proven model noise (or nonsense). No, the trend hasn't been good, but I'd probably wait a bit longer to start jumping. GFS needs to hold imo.

Is this still a clipper though?

I know we are talking about the NAM here, but what is going to stop this vort from closing off earlier and closer to the coast? The last few runs of not only the NAM, but other models such as the EURO have been slowing the storm down as it treks across the country; thus, showing a phase closer to the coast.  I don't think it is out of the spectrum of possibilities for this thing to close off sooner than currently anticipated and give us a hit as well.  Just my two cents.  

When the better models dig this thing way, way south, transfer to the coast, then go negative and eventually cut off over New England, then I'll worry. Until then, I'm going to assume the NAM is overs long this thing. I'll be pissed if I'm being overly optimistic though. :lol:

THE NAM trended toward the Euro tho...that's what I'm saying.   If it was just the NAM, I'd roll my eyes and move on.   The Euro was the only one doing this until now.  Euro screwed us good last night.

GFS looks like it's looked mostly.. It definitely doesn't dig and hang back as much as the Euro. Almost identical to 0z thru 60. GO AMERICA!

It definitely has stopped the bleeding caused by the Euro/NAM

I cant help but wonder what could be if the other clipper weren't perhaps acting as a kicker

It definitely has stopped the bleeding caused by the Euro/NAM

I cant help but wonder what could be if the other clipper weren't perhaps acting as a kicker

Still not clean but it wasn't prior. The GFS keys in more on the first vort in the trough initially.. eventually it may look like the Euro but not till after we score at least.

NE forum likes it so far hizenberg as the leader l

It's moving toward the Euro up there.. basically the same by late Monday. The Euro has no strong vort in the lead of the trough like the GFS does and hangs back longer initially partly because of that I would assume.  NE is probably going to get dumped on... let's just hope the GFS is right with the pre part I suppose.

Was out last night and thankfully missed the euro nam. The gfs/euro debate should be about different streams in general and not clipper specific. Old gfs consistently did better with northern stream systems. New gfs appears to as well so far but we can't know for sure because we have limited experience with it. This storm is a great test because the models are quite different at short leads.

12z looked good to me. I'll hug it.

It's moving toward the Euro up there.. basically the same by late Monday. The Euro has no strong vort in the lead of the trough like the GFS does and hangs back longer initially partly because of that I would assume.  NE is probably going to get dumped on... let's just hope the GFS is right with the pre part I suppose.

Yeah this is reasonable.  It's definitely bombs away Long Island to New England but doesn't screw us as bad with the transfer.  GFS has done well with these in the past so no reason to doubt it here.

Archived