joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
1/25-1/26 Snow Threat

DDweatherman

• Replies 1.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I remember a clipper in 87? that blew up with thundersnow as it passed just south and off the coast. You guys with rainman snow memory would prob know it off the top of your heads.

Seeing how organized it is as it passed and then deepens off the coast is a bit exciting. I'll be up for the euro to knock me back to reality.

That was the one that dumped 6 inches of snow on my gloved hand in Jan 1987 in 10 minutes

Enters in the same area. :P

eta: image messed up.. one sec.

edit 2: eh, it's imgur. you can deal: http://imgur.com/dMl4Mk1

I was gonna draw this comparison... 2/10/10 was a crazy strong ns vort that blew up off the coast. But to be fair that was a bona fide blizzard... looking at the SLP on the maps it was only 1000 when it passed.. There was a double barrel look with and another storm already forming off the coast in advance... The whole complex phased and pivotted right over top of us... it got most of its moisture from the Atlantic so its possible to see the kind of solution we saw last night

I figured I would have been blasted if I drew the comparison...

One thing I noticed on the GFS is it is showing what I think is an inverted trough feature that kind of sits over E PA, E MD, & DE. That is why we are seeing a QPF max in that area;

UlaKEWR.gif

AAokw36.gif

500mb kind of reminds me a little of Feb 2-4 2009. 

The EURO is very close, and we all know as bad as the GFS is it does handle N branch storms a lot better than the EURO. 

The 6z RGEM @ 48 hours shows a potent shortwave diving SE-ward

TuAlNux.jpg

Excited for the 12z runs

The GEFS is getting close to a perfect vort pass for our area. I usually dont get very excited for clippers as they tend to screw us out here and bloom east of us. Just like a few days ago. But this is a Mauler. Its a pretty strong storm. If it can track just 30 or 40 miles south of where it is right now. We all do good.

I got 9" with that one

Yeah that was a nice one and it sucked for me to miss out... not only was it 6-10" but it also had temps falling into the teens right when it happened. Pretty sure it was also a strong clipper that exploded at the right time and place.

A repeat would be sweet.

Yeah that was a nice one and it sucked for me to miss out... not only was it 6-10" but it also had temps falling into the teens right when it happened. Pretty sure it was also a strong clipper that exploded at the right time and place.

A repeat would be sweet.

That was a very nice event.  It doesn't look like this airmass will be as cold as that one though.

Archived