• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
January 25-26th Clipper

wisconsinwx

Cold cold rain currently...though my temp is rising, up to 35˚ now. 12z HRRR has LAF getting into the low 40's this afternoon, so the rain won't be quite as cold later...so we got that going for ourselves. Needless to say, any snow ain't happening here. :lol:

HRRR gon bust

• Replies 310
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Heh, majority snow here now at 36.3˚. LAF reporting 34˚ and -RA. Bizarro micro-climate I guess. :guitar:

SPECI KLAF 251705Z 08007KT 2 1/2SM -RA BR SCT008 BKN016 OVC031 01/01 A2968 RMK AO2 P0000 T00110006

Visual proof, so you don't think I'm crazy. ;)

attachicon.gifIMG_0714.JPG

Looks like there's been better returns on your side of town for a longer period.

Lol at my 2-4 inch forecast here to FWA. Might end up with an inch...maybe. Oh well.

IWX was calling for 3-5 in my location at one point. I completely believed it after checking out multiple models. Guess the temp profiles were a little off.

I even notified our EMA Director that a WWA was likely. :poster_oops:

Snowing pretty good the last 15 min here @ 33. I tried to weenie wish 6 last night lol. HRRR/RAP/SREF still trying for mby with around 3- 4 in average's lol.

KIND back at it with the models....

" PORTION OF PREVIOUS NEAR TERM DISCUSSION FOLLOWS...

ALBERTA CLIPPER POISED TO ROTATE INTO THE OHIO VALLEY BY THIS

EVENING. TEMPERATURE TRENDS AT GROUND LEVEL AND IN THE NEAR SURFACE

LAYER PROVING TO BE A CRITICAL FACTOR IN DETERMINING POTENTIAL SNOW

ACCUMULATIONS LATER TODAY AND THIS EVENING AS HAS BEEN EXPECTED.

SEEMS EVERY STORM SO FAR THIS WINTER HAS HAD MARGINAL TEMP ISSUES

THAT INITIALLY HAVE NOT BEEN CAPTURED WELL BY THE MODEL SUITE...ONLY

TO RECOVER SOMEWHAT WITHIN 24 HOURS OF STORM IMPACT. NEEDLESS TO

SAY...ITS FRUSTRATING FOR METEOROLOGISTS. THIS EVENT APPEARS TO BE

FOLLOWING THAT TREND AS 00Z GUIDANCE...AND ESPECIALLY THE HI-RES

WRF/HRRR/RAP...WHICH HAVE INGESTED WARMER TEMP OBSERVATIONS TO THE

NORTHWEST AND ADJUSTED ACCORDINGLY. THE RESULT WILL BE A LOWERING OF

SNOWFALL TOTALS ACROSS THE BOARD AS WARMER AIR IN THE LOW LEVELS

WILL BE SLOWER TO DEPART DURING THE AFTERNOON. MORE ON THE SPECIFICS

SHORTLY."

Based on upstream obs/short range models, should be flipping to snow here (fully) in the next hour or two at most.  As for now, miserable cold rain with mixed snow.

Heh, interesting. It's been all snow here for a little more than an hour or so. Big flakes. Even accumulating a bit now on the grass, cars, etc...despite warmish temps. I'm 2-2 this week in being in the right spot I guess. :D

Pics from about 20 minutes ago.

Snow in Columbus, and mostly has been all snow from the start. Temp has actually fallen a bit since onset. Maybe we'll luck out after all... but now I've probably jinxed it.

Keep the faith. I didn't think I'd see anything really, and it's surpassed my expectations. Granted, it's not a lot...but some measurable OTG right now, and still snowing.

Good luck over there. :)

^What it looks like here and its starting to stick, which is very surprising to me as warm as it's been. I measured ground temps 2 inches deep this morning at 34.

I'm kinda surprised that it's sticking to the pavement here at my place, considering the temps...but big flakes and good intensity usually does the trick. It's sorta like an April snow.

we did better than I thought here, of course I set the expectation meter at about the lowest setting lol.   Very similar event to the early widespread January clipper, (as far as snow totals).  Northern burbs got about 3-4".

Pleasantly surprised here too. Good to have a decent snowpack in place here, hopefully it will benefit the subforum.

we did better than I thought here, of course I set the expectation meter at about the lowest setting lol.   Very similar event to the early widespread January clipper, (as far as snow totals).  Northern burbs got about 3-4".

Yeah, ended up on the higher end of forecast for most locations... except the airport which barely met the low end.  Par for the course.

Archived