• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Coastal low 1/24 can this get winter going?

Mitchell Gaines

Disaster is more like it. Looks like maybe an inch thump then quick changeover to rain. 850's scorch all the way up to Allentown.

The precip maps showed them changing over everyone to mix all the way to Allentown...unless i'm looking at the wrong one..

attachicon.gifI_nw_r1_EST_2015012212_048.png

Sorry, yes, you are correct.  :(

Still time....although those frame do show freezing/frozen NW of 95  (I know, I am reaching)

• Replies 311
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sorry, yes, you are correct.  :(

Still time....although those frame do show freezing/frozen NW of 95  (I know, I am reaching)

I'd feel way more comfortable up by your area. Yeah you guys may change over but should stay frozen throughout. Down here, the trend is looking more and more like another cold rain storm..

A few things:

1.  No Cold High up north

2.  Marginal Cold in place to begin with ( NOT GOOD AT ALL WITH A SOUTHERN SYSTEM)

3.  NAO+ means storm allowed to chug right up and out.

4.  No Snow Pack

5.  Above normal Ocean Temps

6.  Look at how much cold air is behind our clipper here

I remember Clippers bring the cold and it settles in setting up a snowstorm but not in this case.

All of this screams a minor accumulation snow wise followed by mainly Rain for the  I-95 south and east

Thoughts

Latest Wxsim text forecast with 12z runs

Friday night: Mostly cloudy in the evening, becoming dense overcast after midnight. A slight chance of snow in the evening, then a mix of snow and rain likely after midnight. Low 25. Wind south-southwest near calm in the evening, becoming southeast after midnight. Chance of precipitation 70 percent.Precipitation (liquid equivalent) mostly around a quarter of an inch. Snow accumulation 1 to 2 inches. 

Saturday: Dense overcast in the morning, becoming cloudy in the afternoon. A mix     of snow, sleet, freezing rain, and rain likely in the morning, then a chance of      a mix of snow, freezing rain, sleet, and rain in the afternoon. High 33. Wind chill around 24. Wind north-northeast around 4 mph in the morning, becoming north-northwest around 7 mph in the afternoon. Chance of precipitation 80            percent. Precipitation (liquid equivalent) mostly around half an inch. Snow or ice (on ground) accumulation about half an inch. Above-ground freezing rain accumulation up to 0.1inches                                                                                                                                     

Sunday night: Mostly cloudy in the evening, becoming dense overcast after midnight. A slight chance of a mix of snow and rain in the evening, then a mix of snow and rain likely after midnight. Low 25. Wind chill ranging from 19 to 28. Wind south-southeast around 3 mph in the evening, becoming 7 mph after midnight. Chance of precipitation 70 percent. Precipitation (liquid equivalent)      mostly around a quarter of an inch. Snow accumulation 1 to 2 inches. Monday: Dense overcast. A mix of snow, rain, and sleet likely in the morning,        then a chance of a mix of snow and rain in the afternoon. High 31. Wind southwest around 5 mph in the morning, becoming north-northwest in the afternoon. Chance of precipitation 80 percent. Precipitation (liquid equivalent)mostly between a quarter and half an inch. Snow or ice (on ground) accumulation 1 to 2 inches.

Monday night: Dense overcast. A chance of  slight chance of snow after midnight. Low 22. Wind chill ranging from 12 to 22. Wind        north around 11 mph, gusting to 20 mph. Chance of precipitation 50 percent. Precipitation (liquid equivalent) mostly less than a tenth of an inch. Snow accumulation about half an inch.                                          

Certainly not busting but isn't 1 - 4" a large range? I wouldn't say anything till later tonight then peg the standard 1 -3" - 2- 4" etc. Then again you're the Met and I'm not... 

Personally I feel we limit ourselves when we use ridiculously small ranges.  1-2 inches is tiny and as we saw yesterday, makes for easy busts.  We're not that good, especially 48 hours out.  1-4 is only a 3 inch range, which seems great for a higher total. 

Euro looks decent for some snow at least.   I sometimes like to see setups with front end snow and then a changeover, they can overachieve snow wise especially if you get into some good banding, best recent example is the eagles game snowstorm last december. 

For north and west this is more the case but for the coastal plain/Philadelphia region they seem to underachieve more than overachieve especially with coastal storms with no cold air source. Typically the warm air comes in faster than modeled with a coastal storm and we changover earlier than planned. That December storm was more of the exception than the rule imo

Latest Wxsim text forecast with 12z runs

Friday night: Mostly cloudy in the evening, becoming dense overcast after midnight. A slight chance of snow in the evening, then a mix of snow and rain likely after midnight. Low 25. Wind south-southwest near calm in the evening, becoming southeast after midnight. Chance of precipitation 70 percent.Precipitation (liquid equivalent) mostly around a quarter of an inch. Snow accumulation 1 to 2 inches. 

Saturday: Dense overcast in the morning, becoming cloudy in the afternoon. A mix     of snow, sleet, freezing rain, and rain likely in the morning, then a chance of      a mix of snow, freezing rain, sleet, and rain in the afternoon. High 33. Wind chill around 24. Wind north-northeast around 4 mph in the morning, becoming north-northwest around 7 mph in the afternoon. Chance of precipitation 80            percent. Precipitation (liquid equivalent) mostly around half an inch. Snow or ice (on ground) accumulation about half an inch. Above-ground freezing rain accumulation up to 0.1inches                                                                                                                                     

Sunday night: Mostly cloudy in the evening, becoming dense overcast after midnight. A slight chance of a mix of snow and rain in the evening, then a mix of snow and rain likely after midnight. Low 25. Wind chill ranging from 19 to 28. Wind south-southeast around 3 mph in the evening, becoming 7 mph after midnight. Chance of precipitation 70 percent. Precipitation (liquid equivalent)      mostly around a quarter of an inch. Snow accumulation 1 to 2 inches. Monday: Dense overcast. A mix of snow, rain, and sleet likely in the morning,        then a chance of a mix of snow and rain in the afternoon. High 31. Wind southwest around 5 mph in the morning, becoming north-northwest in the afternoon. Chance of precipitation 80 percent. Precipitation (liquid equivalent)mostly between a quarter and half an inch. Snow or ice (on ground) accumulation 1 to 2 inches.

Monday night: Dense overcast. A chance of  slight chance of snow after midnight. Low 22. Wind chill ranging from 12 to 22. Wind        north around 11 mph, gusting to 20 mph. Chance of precipitation 50 percent. Precipitation (liquid equivalent) mostly less than a tenth of an inch. Snow accumulation about half an inch.                                          

I imagine this is for Chester County which even sounds like a mess. So for Philly and local/far burbs it doesn't all that great as well....damn, can't we get a "real" snowstorm.

Personally I feel we limit ourselves when we use ridiculously small ranges.  1-2 inches is tiny and as we saw yesterday, makes for easy busts.  We're not that good, especially 48 hours out.  1-4 is only a 3 inch range, which seems great for a higher total. 

Thing is if a 1 - 2" prediction totals goes 3.2"....no one really cares besides weenies especially during the day when things melt.. It's not really that catastrophic...again only for weenies measuring. Of course when it's a large storm the range extends. I'm not a big fan of the 5 -10"....8 -16"...and yes 10 - 20" around Philly. Max range should be within 4".....8 -12"....12 - 16"...etc. If people don't understand it's really difficult to predict those type of storms within range considering variables...screw'em. That's just my thinking...  

Thing is if a 1 - 2" prediction totals goes 3.2"....no one really cares besides weenies especially during the day when things melt.. It's not really that catastrophic...again only for weenies measuring. Of course when it's a large storm the range extends. I'm not a big fan of the 5 -10"....8 -16"...and yes 10 - 20" around Philly. Max range should be within 4".....8 -12"....12 - 16"...etc. If people don't understand it's really difficult to predict those type of storms within range considering variables...screw'em. That's just my thinking...  

Yes, but as we saw, if 1-2 ends up 0.3... well, people are like, where is the snow? 

One interesting thing I noticed on the 12Z suite (non-Euro) is that there doesn't seem to be a great influx of east/south winds off the ocean over NJ. I'd assume that this is because the low is forcast to be somewhat strung out/ weak until it hits the VA maritimes. It's just that there is no cold air in the first place, that even as the storm pulls away and winds back to the NW and strengthen, there's no cold air over NY/PA to help us get back to frozen precip. So, I wonder if there isn't opportunity to get lucky here if the models are off by those surface temps to our north and west by a couple degrees. The air mass in place isn't cold for certain, but it wouldn't take much to be cold enough. I wonder if we're seeing warmer solutions today because we are losing the rad cooling aspect when this was progged to be a Saturday system instead of a Fri night system.

One interesting thing I noticed on the 12Z suite (non-Euro) is that there doesn't seem to be a great influx of east/south winds off the ocean over NJ. I'd assume that this is because the low is forcast to be somewhat strung out/ weak until it hits the VA maritimes. It's just that there is no cold air in the first place, that even as the storm pulls away and winds back to the NW and strengthen, there's no cold air over NY/PA to help us get back to frozen precip. So, I wonder if there isn't opportunity to get lucky here if the models are off by those surface temps to our north and west by a couple degrees. The air mass in place isn't cold for certain, but it wouldn't take much to be cold enough. I wonder if we're seeing warmer solutions today because we are losing the rad cooling aspect when this was progged to be a Saturday system instead of a Fri night system.

Well, you notice that its above freezing now... and tomorrow will be a bit warmer... and there is no air mass change after that before the storm moves in.  It isn't a strong flow but its enough with no cold air.  If there is no radiational cooling Friday night then it would make accums harder, if for example it started when it was still above freezing. 

There's always an opportunity to get lucky.  I wouldn't bet on it, though.

A few things:

1.  No Cold High up north

2.  Marginal Cold in place to begin with ( NOT GOOD AT ALL WITH A SOUTHERN SYSTEM)

3.  NAO+ means storm allowed to chug right up and out.

4.  No Snow Pack

5.  Above normal Ocean Temps

6.  Look at how much cold air is behind our clipper here

I remember Clippers bring the cold and it settles in setting up a snowstorm but not in this case.

All of this screams a minor accumulation snow wise followed by mainly Rain for the  I-95 south and east

Thoughts

My thoughts are I wish you were wrong but I'm afraid you're right.

I still think we could get more than an inch or two (at our latitude), but we'd have to get lucky.

Recently there's been an up and down cycle of model runs spaced about a day and a half or two apart, first looking good for snow, then not so good, then good again. The last 24 hours has been a down period and I'll admit to a bit of pessimism at the moment. I don't expect any reversal of trends for this event because I don't know how we could get more cold air in here (especially at the critical upper levels). But I do reserve the right to adjust my expectations tomorrow :-).

Archived