• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Coastal low 1/24 can this get winter going?

Mitchell Gaines

• Replies 311
  • Created
  • Last Reply

another roller coaster model run, gfs brings back smiles after rainy euro run.

place your bets for the 12z runs today

Im going with the models shifting back west and torching the bl this run. We get the track we want but sacrifice a boatload of precip on taint and rain. Thats my guess anyway.

Thinking 3-6" still for my area (leaning low end of that range).

Wxsim program with 6z data shows 1.72" of precip falling between 1am Saturday morning and 11am Tuesday morning. Here is the breakdown (it will only change.....a lot with future runs!)

- Snow starts Saturday toward 1am temp 28.0

- 4am Mod Snow Temp 27.8

- 7am IP Snow mix - 2.5" of snow/ip temp 28.1

- 10am IP/ZR mix temp 30.2

- 11am-3pm - Snow/Rain mix 0.28" w.e. falls during this time

4pm - mix transitions back to Heavy Snow with another 2" accumulating before ending around 6pm - temp 31.9

Snow begins again on Monday 4am with 1" - 3" falling before going to Snow/Rain Mix for most of the day

Back to Heavy Snow at 4pm thru 11am Tuesday morning with an additional 7.0" of snow falling

Wxsim program with 6z data shows 1.72" of precip falling between 1am Saturday morning and 11am Tuesday morning. Here is the breakdown (it will only change.....a lot with future runs!)

- Snow starts Saturday toward 1am temp 28.0

- 4am Mod Snow Temp 27.8

- 7am IP Snow mix - 2.5" of snow/ip temp 28.1

- 10am IP/ZR mix temp 30.2

- 11am-3pm - Snow/Rain mix 0.28" w.e. falls during this time

4pm - mix transitions back to Heavy Snow with another 2" accumulating before ending around 6pm - temp 31.9

Snow begins again on Monday 4am with 1" - 3" falling before going to Snow/Rain Mix for most of the day

Back to Heavy Snow at 4pm thru 11am Tuesday morning with an additional 7.0" of snow falling

What's the total snow for Saturday ??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That looks about right with what the Wxsim program is thinking at this point.....but no doubt this will change quite a bit by 12z runs tomorrow AM

Yeah I am not sure that this can trend any better at this point, but it can get worse.  IMO the ceiling right now is 3-6" type system unless there is some improvement with the global 12z runs, but I don't expect there to be one.  I am already moving onto the first few days of February as that period has caught my attention for a while now and could hold easily the best potential of the season.   

RGEM looks like it is coming in as a blowtorch. Only out to 48 but it looks like the low is going to hug the coast and everyone changes over to either ice NW or rain to the city and south and fairly quickly.

Hope not but I think that will be the case...warm air will come in/further W and it will be just slop. Still a little time but the tread is not great. Need the GFS/Euro to offer some hope in a bit.

Hope not but I think that will be the case...warm air will come in/further W and it will be just slop. Still a little time but the tread is not great. Need the GFS/Euro to offer some hope in a bit.

Yeah, no high pressure and marginal cold air around, it comes down to track. And with this one if it's too far east there is not much precip, too far west and you changeover.  I don't have high hopes right now. But with the way this winter is going, if we squeeze out 3 inches, I'll be ecstatic...

Archived