joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Potential Coastal Storm This Weekend

IsentropicLift

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

widespread 1-2ft - that part...  nothing in this pattern suggests that... sure throw me the one or two anomalous storms (theres always one or two), but let's use some judgement. nothing suggests this being close to 1-2ft

I disagree. I think some areas could definitely see 12"+. All you need is another 20 mile NW shift.

GFS trended warmer on round 1 0z and the CCB looks overdone.

Round 2 still in fantasy range

But keep bringing the hype since it make the reading more fun

Don't let it get to you there is definitely some excess hype already going on. It did trend warmer and I agree about the CCB. The question is whether the model is correct.

I disagree. I think some areas could definitely see 12"+. All you need is another 20 mile NW shift.

never said someone "couldn't" see 12" - widespread 1-2 is a MUCH different call.. we both know random areas seeing 12+ is always possible in SECS but saying we're close to 1-2 ft widespread is different.. 

never said someone "couldn't" see 12" - widespread 1-2 is a MUCH different call.. we both know random areas seeing 12+ is always possible in SECS but saying we're close to 1-2 ft widespread is different..

With all due respect that's a very real possibility. The dynamics in play with that pva and jet streak could very easily yield a widespread storm we measure in feet.

United States Coast Guard Rescue Swimmer

never said someone "couldn't" see 12" - widespread 1-2 is a MUCH different call.. we both know random areas seeing 12+ is always possible in SECS but saying we're close to 1-2 ft widespread is different.. 

He didn't state it as a definite. The potential is there for widespread 1-2 ft but its an outlier and I'm pretty sure Snow88 recognizes that.

Respectfully disagree again. I think 12"+ will be the norm wherever the best banding parks itself.

With all due respect that's a very real possibility. The dynamics in play with that pva and jet streak could very easily yield a widespread storm we measure in feet.

respect your opinion, as you know. I will respectfully disagree on a widespread storm we measure in feet but will be more than happy to buy ya a beer if I'm wrong  :santa:

moving on as for once in a long time we have a threat to monitor 

It will be key to see how fast the coastal can deepen and the upper level dynamics stop the northward pull of the warm air. Initially we have a low travelling through southern Canada, and the upper level flow is from the southwest. This pulls up the warm air before the upper level dynamics can make the cold air crash back SE. It could be a situation where there is a front end that is snow that changes to a mix for a while near the coast but then changes back to a thumping heavy snow as the CCB forms. There would be an even better chance at heavy snow amounts (over 8") if the 500mb low can close off for a time. Right now though it looks like a fickle setup that can change quickly. I thought last night that the overall pattern supported some kind of hit, but hopefully the warm preceding setup doesn't ruin it and the progressive pattern nudge it too far east or cause a too-late development. 

Don't get carried away. We can all count numerous occasions where 1-2 foot storms progged at 96 hours turned into 1-2 feet of weenie tears. And I think the issue of the warm preceding setup is real if the low doesn't bomb out quickly in a favorable track for the area. If this is too progressive, it may be a moderate event for the NYC area and much bigger for eastern New England.

It will be key to see how fast the coastal can deepen and the upper level dynamics stop the northward pull of the warm air. Initially we have a low travelling through southern Canada, and the upper level flow is from the southwest. This pulls up the warm air before the upper level dynamics can make the cold air crash back SE. It could be a situation where there is a front end that is snow that changes to a mix for a while near the coast but then changes back to a thumping heavy snow as the CCB forms. There would be an even better chance at heavy snow amounts (over 8") if the 500mb low can close off for a time. Right now though it looks like a fickle setup that can change quickly. I thought last night that the overall pattern supported some kind of hit, but hopefully the warm preceding setup doesn't ruin it and the progressive pattern nudge it too far east or cause a too-late development.

That sort of sounds like January 26th 2011. Not saying this will be the same outcome like that one was tho..

That sort of sounds like January 26th 2011. Not saying this will be the same outcome like that one was tho..

That was somewhat different as the 500mb low was much stronger and closed off. That's what generated the massive snow rates that night as those dynamics pinwheeled up the coast, not so much the surface low. That and 12/30/00 were the two most dynamic snow events I've experienced. That night for at least a couple hours it was almost impossible to see even across the street.

Archived