SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Potential Coastal Storm This Weekend

IsentropicLift

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

not bad at all for D4/D5 - close off a little sooner and we're in business - no point over analyzing - plenty of time to do that thursday/friday 

we have a storm with a pretty solid track - devil in the details - we'll see...

my biggest concern is this gets shunted to our south, but put those odds at around 50% right now

Man, if we somehow end up losing this thing we're gonna have to close down shop here for at least a day or two to recover...the traffic here is the biggest since last winter right now.

Ugh-let's hope not.  Doubt it goes out to sea now, my worst fear is it ends up an inland runner and we rain like we have for every other storm this season.

Look at 500mb, at 4-5 days out that is all you can ask for, stop worrying about the QPF, if that shortwave ends up as modeled the precip shield will be much farther west than is being shown. The Day 7 event is also interesting, as it would also have colder air to work with, however it is rare to get two major storms that close together. 

The important part is that the AO rebound allows the more amplified Euro run to have a stronger SE Ridge ahead of the

low introducing P-Type issues for the coast instead of a 100% snow solution. I don't really have a guess at specific

snow amounts so early in the game, just that the Euro loses a percentage to liquid instead of being all frozen.

A more -AO ahead of the storm would have raised the prospects for all snow or a suppressed storm if the AO was

too strong.

I still disagree. The pattern over the next 24-36 hours, when the AO will be negative, is actually more favorable for a SE ridging than later this week, when heights will be building over northern Greenland and the presence of the SE Canadian vortex prevents significant height rises ahead of the upstream s/w.

I think that you are arguing semantics rather than looking at the bigger picture of the pattern. But we can agree to

disagree.

To be clear, I'm not making any remarks concerning the specifics of the storm. My principal argument is that synoptically, there's really not much room for a SE ridge. I think the bigger risk with this situation is less amplification and an offshore / near miss scenario. The antecedent confluence, upstream ridge spike, and east based blocking argue against a coastal hugger / inland runner. As you said, agree to disagree here.

If there is no room for a SE Ridge, than why is the Euro and its ensemble mean showing one ahead of the low?

I think that you are making a theoretical argument rather than looking what the model is showing. 

I think you're misunderstanding what a SE-ridge truly is. Any amplifying short wave, especially one which acquires a neutral to negative tilt will cause height rises out ahead of it. However, those height rises are a transient occurrence, and part and parcel of a rapidly intensifying cyclone. Look at the 500mb progression. There's no SE ridge over the next few days, and there's no SE-ridge following the storm. The height rises are very brief and clearly associated with the amplifying southern short wave. Additionally, the amplitude of the PNA / western ridge destructively interferes with the development of a SE ridge. The synoptic pattern we currently have is not one that is conducive for the formation or maintenance of a SE ridge feature, due primarily to the upstream meridional ridging.

Simple 500 mb guidance trends  ATM

OPC- GEFS Spag combo

first frame --almost a spot on match  96hrs out

frames 2-5 GEFS 564dm trend is on the move south 

looking for small clues... that is all :popcorn: 

http://www.opc.ncep.noaa.gov/Atl_tab.shtml

http://mag.ncep.noaa.gov/Image.php?fhr=096ℑ=data%2Fgefs-spag%2F12%2Fgefs-spag_atlantic_096_500_522_564_ht.gif&model=gefs-spag&area=atlantic&param=500_522_564_ht&group=Model+Guidance&preselected_formatted_cycle_date=20150120+12+UTC&imageSize=&ps=area

Archived