joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Potential Coastal Storm This Weekend

IsentropicLift

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Euro precip shield is also too restricted on the NW side I think, if that track were to occur there would probably be snow further N and W

24 MB in 12 hours one would think so , but is the better lift in the right front quadrant and  some sinking air on the western side ? 

I like where we sit. Even if the Euro is too far west and there is a general consensus closer to the other off shore models as it gets closer we should still pick up a few inches. The Euro does tend to struggle with the Northern stream interactions so I wouldnt be totally surprised if its weakening/slowing the kicker a bit too much. Still very encouraging to have the GFS and GGEM trending towards the Euro. We shall see.  

Euro precip shield is also too restricted on the NW side I think, if that track were to occur there would probably be snow further N and W

The 700mb RH maps look suspect with a very sharp cutoff for an explosively deepening system.

IIRC, the EURO has had a bias like this for a while now, with the most recent example being from the February snowstorm last year. It would be nice to see models like the UKMET and CMC come fully on-board until the hi-res models can get a crack at this. 

24 MB in 12 hours one would think so , but is the better lift in the right front quadrant and some sinking air on the western side ?

We have seen this before. 12/26/11. Bombing systems have tremendous dynamics. So you could a have a nuclear Ccb and subsidence and crap on the other side. Then the nightmare comes to mind 2/5/10

KNYC on the 12z ECMWF

.8" frozen (MMU, EWR, and HPN are all within .79-.83") 

Not bad at all for a restricted precip field. 

SAT 15Z 24-JAN 0.17 0.00 0.15 0.16 -0.2 541 130
SAT 18Z 24-JAN 0.36 0.00 0.35 0.33 0.7 542 130
SAT 21Z 24-JAN 0.56 0.00 0.55 0.42 0.9 543 130
SUN 00Z 25-JAN 1.00 0.00 0.99 0.68 1.2 541 130
SUN 03Z 25-JAN 1.09 0.00 1.07 0.74 1.8 539 130
SUN 06Z 25-JAN 1.17 0.00 1.16 0.80 -0.1 536 129
SUN 09Z 25-JAN 1.17 0.00 1.16 0.80 -1.3 534 129
SUN 12Z 25-JAN 1.17 0.00 1.16 0.80 -1.3 532 128 

This is definitely a thread the needle setup for an east coast snowstorm given lack of high pressure to north and progressive pattern. The soundings verbatim from the 12z Euro are isothermal and probably all snow for NYC at hr 102 and 108 given the very strong lift and likelihood of dynamic cooling in that scenario (850s hug 0C at 102 and warmest lower levels get is +1 to +1.5). The problem in the setup is that a very similar track has to happen for the coast to get all snow. Any closer and a substantial amount of the QPF could fall as rain in NYC, nearby burbs and LI, and any farther off the coast, much less precip will fall.

Sent from my SM-G900V using Tapatalk

with the lack of blocking here, I think most people understand a truly big snowstorm is not likely to be in the cards.  But there are some good signs for a nice event, possible SECS, with mixing issues in the common area.   I think at this juncture that is about all we can until some of the track uncertainty is ironed out.

This is definitely a thread the needle setup for an east coast snowstorm given lack of high pressure to north and progressive pattern. The soundings verbatim from the 12z Euro are isothermal and probably all snow for NYC at hr 102 and 108 given the very strong lift and likelihood of dynamic cooling in that scenario (850s hug 0C at 102 and warmest lower levels get is +1 to +1.5). The problem in the setup is that a very similar track has to happen for the coast to get all snow. Any closer and a substantial amount of the QPF could fall as rain in NYC, nearby burbs and LI, and any farther off the coast, much less precip will fall.

Sent from my SM-G900V

That's not entirety true. This can be closer to the coast and with a super low pressure storm and ccb, the coast can be snow. This is still SE of the benchmark. There is still room to come in to the coast more and still be mostly SNOW.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

That's not entirety true. This can be closer to the coast and with a super low pressure storm and ccb, the coast can be snow. This is still SE of the benchmark. There is still room to come in to the coast more and still be mostly SNOW.

Sent from my iPhone

Mentioned similar to say that yes slightly closer could work, but what the Euro is modelling is already pretty high end in terms of cyclogenesis. The 850 mb layer would likely warm too much initially if the storm tucks in too close that even dynamic cooling couldn't keep p type as mainly snow in NYC and along the coast initially. This is all hypotheticals though because it's still over 100 hr from the potential event.

Archived