SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
JAN 23-24 anyone ?

DTWXRISK

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ok, somebody with more knowledge than me explain why this system is having such trouble bringing precip north and west of the low. Even as it strengthens up near ne it still has comparatively little precip to the west vs the east.

my wag is the flow is pretty strong

what fives me pause with the Euro is that it always wants to slow and blow things up and that probably is tricky

Ok, somebody with more knowledge than me explain why this system is having such trouble bringing precip north and west of the low. Even as it strengthens up near ne it still has comparatively little precip to the west vs the east.

I thought I remember reading (maybe from Bob?) the lack of H to the north (besides just acting as a block) will prevent the precip shield from expanding well to the N & W like other coastals.  

NAM's coming east this run

Seems to me the issue is strength not track. The stronger solutions are a bit more west but not cutting inland or anything. The problem with the east/weak solution is it's also drier and warmer. The more amped solution is what we need if we want more then a slushy inch from this. With the marginal temps only way this works out is with a thump type scenario to aid in cooling. Basically the euro solution. Track seems locked in. If it's east it's weaker. I've also noticed over the years when there is no high in front it can cause that strung out look from precip. I think with a high it helps enhance the waa precip in front by adding resistance to the waa. You get a better precip shield out ahead of the low. Without cold in place or a high we are waiting for the low to bomb to get heavy precip. It can work out that way but it takes a feb 2006 type solution where the low bombs just in time and we get death banded. If you remember that storm the early part was a disorganized mess of light non accumulating snow. The death band saved that from being a low end event. This seems to be a similar scenario.

I'm not too worried as it seems muddled either way but euro could be too amped. Though it's inside the range it's usually solid especially with these types of systems. If it holds tonight it's probably worth hugging.

Seems to me the issue is strength not track. The stronger solutions are a bit more west but not cutting inland or anything. The problem with the east/weak solution is it's also drier and warmer. The more amped solution is what we need if we want more then a slushy inch from this. With the marginal temps only way this works out is with a thump type scenario to aid in cooling. Basically the euro solution. Track seems locked in. If it's east it's weaker. I've also noticed over the years when there is no high in front it can cause that strung out look from precip. I think with a high you get more convergence and a better precip shield out ahead of the low. Without cold in place or a high we are waiting for the low to bomb to get heavy precip. It can work out that way but it takes a feb 2006 type solution where the low bombs just in time and we get death banded. If you remember that storm the early part was a disorganized mess of light non accumulating snow. The death band saved that from being a low end event. This seems to be a similar scenario.

agree and that's why I mentioned decent precip post 60 hours

looks to be from the u/l low

It's amazing that those in the 10K+ post club are putting any stock whatsoever in NAM >h24.  They know better and constantly beat that drum, but get caught up in the fine details of these late hour NAM panels.

Understandable if it's just for the sake of tracking and fun, since it's been a relatively slow winter for the snow people.

It's amazing that those in the 10K+ post club are putting any stock whatsoever in NAM >h24. They know better and constantly beat that drum, but get caught up in the fine details of these late hour NAM panels.

Understandable if it's just for the sake of tracking and fun, since it's been a relatively slow winter for the snow people.

I am guilty of reading the NAM too much, I guess. I like it within 24 hours, but I also find it a good practice tool for map reading as well...just saying...

Archived