joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
JAN 23-24 anyone ?

DTWXRISK

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The big difference is the way each model is handling the dynamics with the storm.  GFS (hope the improvement helped) has quite a bit of dynamical cooling of the column as the precip moves through.  The low is actually only 30-40 miles different in terms of position between the euro and GFS operational, but the mid-column (950-850) is about 2-3 degrees cooler on the GFS.  If we get appreciable snow out of this it would be a good win for the GFS in something it historically hasn't done well in- precip dynamics.

Time to buy American?

Edit: I agree, Matt below..2-4 seems like a safe call.  But I guess with this much QPF at stake, a wobble could mean the difference between <1 and 5+.

I don't really see why this is a big threat for the coastal plain...It seems very thread the needle to me...Of course anytime you get a deepening low off the coast in late January with a potential large amount of liquid, it will understandably pique everyone's interest....but it seems the margin for error is so so slight.  Rain/mix to snow seems most likely...though the Euro does have a bias of being too far west and then adjusting south and east. 95% of threats aren't big 6"+ events...this seems like a mangled 2-4" type event to me..just my hunch,...

If we do get good snow out of this, it's surely one of the more jacked up ways to do it. The no high pressure storm for the ages.

I "think" that first of 2 storms in 1/87 lacked decent HP to our north too, so if memory serves, it's possible

I recall it shutting off just before a change imby SE of BWI

I don't really see why this is a big threat for the coastal plain...It seems very thread the needle to me...Of course anytime you get a deepening low off the coast in late January with a potential large amount of liquid, it will understandably pique everyone's interest....but it seems the margin for error is so so slight.  Rain/mix to snow seems most likely...though the Euro does have a bias of being too far west and then adjusting south and east. 95% of threats aren't big 6"+ events...this seems like a mangled 2-4" type event to me..just my hunch,...

I'd take 2-4" of mash as the 2nd in 3-day snow event with another on the horizon

but would, of course, prefer a snow event

I "think" that first of 2 storms in 1/87 lacked decent HP to our north too, so if memory serves, it's possible

I recall it shutting off just before a change imby SE of BWI

I was just going to reference that storm. There was much uncertainty with the forecast even the morning of the storm. I think the last forecast leading up to the onset of the precip was for 2-4 changing to rain.

I was just going to reference that storm. There was much uncertainty with the forecast even the morning of the storm. I think the last forecast leading up to the onset of the precip was for 2-4 changing to rain.

I'd love to do a redux on both storms of 1/87 with Sat's event & next week.....possible if all the stars align

Wes references the event here: http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/capital-weather-gang/wp/2015/01/20/a-stormy-winter-pattern-sets-in-snow-chances-every-2-3-days-including-saturday-and-early-next-week/

He talks about it pretty fondly on this board from a forecasting perspective because IIRC he nailed it. 

Edited to add: Note that even before the 12Z Euro came out today, his stance was already favoring N and W for impact. 

Wes references the event here: http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/capital-weather-gang/wp/2015/01/20/a-stormy-winter-pattern-sets-in-snow-chances-every-2-3-days-including-saturday-and-early-next-week/

He talks about it pretty fondly on this board from a forecasting perspective because IIRC he nailed it. 

Edited to add: Note that even before the 12Z Euro came out today, his stance was already favoring N and W for impact. 

That's got to be one of the best calls ever because there was nothing easy about predicting that storm. Huge bust potential.

It is definitely mixy and warm for DC...I think that is going to be hard to escape...there is a warm nose much of the time, and then the BL/SFC is iffy...but we have to work with what we have to work with

Track seems to be locking in somewhat, temps will be the main issue now...unless something else changes.

Archived