• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Winter 14/15 Banter & Complaint Thread Part 2

Powerball

We hit 60 degrees today and lost all of our snowpack. Luckily, I'm under a Winter Storm Warning for 6-12 inches of snow for today and tonight.

Wow. Didn't realize you guys got that warm!

Still holding on to a decent snowpack here ... but not expecting much snow, just a refresher.

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Wow. Didn't realize you guys got that warm!

Still holding on to a decent snowpack here ... but not expecting much snow, just a refresher.

We were in the 30's until about noon, hit 60 around 3 p.m. and then stayed there until temperatures crashed after 9 p.m. It's now 44 degrees with heavy rain at my house. Quite a fascinating day if you ask me.

My garage and driveway is disgusting. Kids and dogs dragging this dirt/slush/salt all day into my house. I really need a day in the 40's to wash it. I have never seen it this dirty.

Just said the same thing to myself getting breakfest for the pooch this morning out of our garage tupperware...

Odd layers of crusty crud everywhere....i want to carry my boys to the car and back now lol

My garage and driveway is disgusting. Kids and dogs dragging this dirt/slush/salt all day into my house. I really need a day in the 40's to wash it. I have never seen it this dirty.

My garage is fine as I don't park in it because I live on dirt roads.  My driveway needs a week in the 40s/50s to get rid of the multilayers of packed snow/ice. 

Meh...

snowfall - above normal

snowcover - above normal

depth of snow - way above normal

temps - way below normal outside Dec

snowstorm- biggest storm of my life

coldest month of my life

I dont think thats too liberal to give that winter an A-. You have known me for many years and you always know year in and year out I say snowcover is the heaviest weight of my winter grade.

Theoretically lets say this winter featured two big snowstorms (lets say 16.5" and an 11") which left snowfall a bit above normal, a crippling ice storm, and an unusual early  winter severe wx outbreak...but roller coaster temps averaged to near normal and no snowcover was sustained for any unusual length of time. That winter would certainly garner a lower grade from me than the present (the storm-only-nothing-else-matters crowd would be ALL over that type of winter).

The first half of winter was just too lame down here for my liking.  yeah it was cold and we got a little bit of snow in November.  ok.  But no snow in December and another brown Christmas/New Years just too much to overcome for anything better than a B/C grade (Disclaimer...IMO...obviously subjective and somewhat goofy to discuss).  I give lots of weight to the second half of December snow and snow cover (awful this year), snow cover overall (excellent for second half of winter), and # of warning level snow events (one warning snow imby this year).  Last year was excellent overall but the big rain event just before Christmas was a downer and weighed heavily on the winter season overall. I'm also not of huge fan of extreme cold.  Ok... <<end pointless rant>>

Topped out at 33F yesterday, lost nothing... gained when all said and done. Not a drop of liquid precip.

Looks like mid winter here.

Oh it looks like mid-winter for sure lol. Its just interesting to see the sheen on the deep snow. If the light isnt hitting it right you dont notice it, but when the light hits it...BAM shiny, smooth glass. 

Meh...

snowfall - above normal

snowcover - above normal

depth of snow - way above normal

temps - way below normal outside Dec

snowstorm- biggest storm of my life

coldest month of my life

I dont think thats too liberal to give that winter an A-. You have known me for many years and you always know year in and year out I say snowcover is the heaviest weight of my winter grade.

Theoretically lets say this winter featured two big snowstorms (lets say 16.5" and an 11") which left snowfall a bit above normal, a crippling ice storm, and an unusual early  winter severe wx outbreak...but roller coaster temps averaged to near normal and no snowcover was sustained for any unusual length of time. That winter would certainly garner a lower grade from me than the present (the storm-only-nothing-else-matters crowd would be ALL over that type of winter).

An estimated A for March when we may torch starting next week? And without any significant snow (yet)? That seems like your grading rubric is more snowcover exclusive, rather than snowcover skewed/dominant. And that's fine.

meanwhile, in Hawaii

URGENT - WINTER WEATHER MESSAGENATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE HONOLULU HI324 AM HST WED MAR 4 2015...WINTER STORM WARNING FOR MAUNA KEA AND MAUNA LOA ABOVE 12000FEET OF ELEVATION....A TROUGH ALOFT WILL PRODUCE COLD TEMPERATURES ALOFT AND MAKE THEATMOSPHERE UNSTABLE. THIS WILL RESULT IN SIGNIFICANT SNOWACCUMULATIONS THROUGH TONIGHT ABOVE 12000 FEET OF ELEVATION.HIZ028-050230-/O.CON.PHFO.WS.W.0001.000000T0000Z-150305T1600Z/BIG ISLAND SUMMITS-324 AM HST WED MAR 4 2015...WINTER STORM WARNING REMAINS IN EFFECT UNTIL 6 AM HSTTHURSDAY...* LOCATIONS...BIG ISLAND SUMMITS ABOVE 12000 FEET IN ELEVATION.* HAZARD TYPES...HEAVY SNOW ACCUMULATION...* ACCUMULATIONS...TOTAL ACCUMULATIONS OF 10 TO 15 INCHES.* TIMING...THROUGH TONIGHT.* IMPACTS...TRAVEL TO THE SUMMITS...EITHER ON FOOT OR BY VEHICLE...  WILL BE DANGEROUS.* WINDS...SOUTHWEST 15 TO 25 MPH.* TEMPERATURES...IN THE UPPER 20S.* VISIBILITIES...UNDER A HALF MILE IN CLOUDS.PRECAUTIONARY/PREPAREDNESS ACTIONS...POSTPONE TRAVEL TO THE SUMMIT AREA UNTIL CONDITIONS IMPROVE. IFYOU ARE ALREADY IN THE AREA...MOVE TO A LOWER ELEVATION BEFORECONDITIONS DETERIORATE FURTHER.&&$$DONALDSON

An estimated A for March when we may torch starting next week? And without any significant snow (yet)? That seems like your grading rubric is more snowcover exclusive, rather than snowcover skewed/dominant. And that's fine.

Like I said, I grade on winter as a whole, not chopped into calendar month blocks. I merely said that for those that like to do the calendar month thing. Its deep snowcover too, that makes a difference...but no, my grading of a winter is snowcover/snowdepth skewed/dominant, but certainly not exclusive.

As impressive as the storm system was for our southern friends tonight, it's sort of a shame this storm system didn't evolve as one big piece of energy that dumped a wide swath of very heavy snowfall.  Loads of gulf moisture and very strong jet dynamics, juxtaposed with a decent baroclinic zone could have made for a fantastic storm that dumped on a huge area.  Instead we get a few underwhelming lead waves and then this final wave that dumps a very impressive amount of precip, but in a narrow corridor on the southern fringes of the sub.  Just sucks to see such a potentially high impact event watered down like this.

As impressive as the storm system was for our southern friends tonight, it's sort of a shame this storm system didn't evolve as one big piece of energy that dumped a wide swath of very heavy snowfall.  Loads of gulf moisture and very strong jet dynamics, juxtaposed with a decent baroclinic zone could have made for a fantastic storm that dumped on a huge area.  Instead we get a few underwhelming lead waves and then this final wave that dumps a very impressive amount of precip, but in a narrow corridor on the southern fringes of the sub.  Just sucks to see such a potentially high impact event watered down like this.

Totally agree. This echoes my sentiments(banter). Outside of the GHDII this winter has mainly been 'What could have been' in the major storm department in the Great Lakes (no good phasing). This is the major reason I'm ready to move on now.

Hoping for a nice long duration rain storm.  Even after some of the massive down pours last year the grime from 2013-2014 winter still stuck around.  Everything along major streets is covered in a crust.  It's disgusting. 

At the very least hoping for a few nights above freezing.  Seems to really melt the snow pack.

Some of my vegetation really suffered after last years winter.  Here's hoping for a average spring at best.

FWA reached the 40" benchmark (40.1") I use to determine a good snowfall year. Meanwhile IMBY, some 16 miles to the Southwest, got 38.1".  I wouldn't mind getting a couple of more inches here.  I know that in the grand scheme of things, it won't mean anything, but I'd still like to hit 40 here.

FWA reached the 40" benchmark (40.1") I use to determine a good snowfall year. Meanwhile IMBY, some 16 miles to the Southwest, got 38.1".  I wouldn't mind getting a couple of more inches here.  I know that in the grand scheme of things, it won't mean anything, but I'd still like to hit 40 here.

This reminds me of last year. I completely get what you are saying. After a winter of record cold, constant heavy snowfall, and record snow depth...winter began to slowly retreat in mid-March, the snow melting, little fresh snow falling, the temps still below normal, but moderating. DTW sat at 91.7" on the season in late March, which was easily 2nd snowiest winter on record but 1.9" away from the 1880-81 record. Now, 2013-14 was colder than 1880-81 and presumably had a better stretch of snow depth (depth records werent kept back then, but based on data I estimated 2013-14 had the edge).

Due to media coverage throughout winter the public knew what was going on, and it was then that I began hearing people, many snow-haters whod been complaining for months, most not knowing the first thing about a weather stat, say we might as well get 2" to break the record. Then when we got a 3.2" snowfall Apr 15th to break the record, all these snow-haters (and snow-lovers too) were happy and claiming victory that it was the snowiest winter on record. That April snowfall, several weeks removed from the severe winter did nothing to make the winter more or less severe, but it was enough to change the record and to some that made all the difference in the world.

This time of year, something in me just flips a switch and I need Winter to ease up. I'm not looking for warmth or anything I know is unrealistic climo, as the normal high here is only 30. I'd just like to start the seasonal melt, and temps in the 40's and 50's would be welcome. When working outside in those temps, it's more than comfortable. I've had my fill of snow for a while and really look forward to sunshine, grilling, gardening, dirt biking, kayaking, bicycling, hiking, and pretty much anything else that doesn't involve being inside.

Archived