SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Winter 14/15 Banter & Complaint Thread Part 2

Powerball

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Kind of agree. I hate the cold, so this weekend is going to be terrible. I wanted to go skiing but to cold. Literally can't do anything with -30 wind chills. and temps below zero.

Yup, getting sick of the cold. I'll always take a snowstorm. But failing that, I'm ready for 50s and sitting on my porch listening to the gentle rumble of decaying TSRA over the horizon.

boston will have 8-9" liquid in their pack by the time a full on thaw comes

Cutter risk for them increasing a bit in the medium/long range, as the western ridge retrogrades...especially on the EPS. Not that they won't still see more snow, but they're going to lose the direct connection soon. Might be a messy... 

pretty wild that we've been seeing this same general setup for like 2 years now. That Pac ridge is something else.

Been pretty much locked and loaded.

6.5" SWE is dust fake effect? Ratios were 1:15 on average. ^_^

Highest SWE I see is 5.1"

NOHRSC_obs_SWE.png

Highest SWE I saw on that map for upstate NY in Nov was 4.3" in one spot.. I dont doubt the jackpot areas had 6.5-7", but that was a very isolated area on unfrozen ground. A whole different situation in Boston.

But as said...we had 3-5" water content throughout SE MI last March on frozen ground, and it didnt do much damage without any rain or rapid meltoff. Boston has about 4-5" water content right now, so whats added to it and how it melts will determine how bad flooding is.

It will be interesting when climo catches up with Boston in the coming years.  After four out of five blockbuster winters there, methinks they are due for a nice extended snow drought sometime soon. :devilsmiley:

Their climate is just strange though. They get to their climo average from crazy oscillations unlike the Lakes where its more dependable/steady.

Amidst all this record snow and snowstorms, they had their 2nd least snowy winter on record in 2011-12 with 9.3", and were looking like they had another 9" winter a few years before that until a late March snowstorm jolted them to 17" on the season. Dont really think they have an extended stretch of one thing or another anytime soon.

Besides I dont want to be wishing climo catches up to anyone lately, I want Mother Nature to keep right on dumping snow like she has been, forgetting that it shouldnt be snowing this much every year lol:

and it isn't a dust fake effect snowpack

dust, fake what?

around 8-10" in water equiv here.  UP  winter snowfall on average is 17:1

a couple days ago however it was 74:1 :pimp:

MQT:

Very fluffy snow was experienced at NWS Marquette on February 8th, which set a new record snowfall for the day. The snow to water ratio was a whopping 74 inches of snow to 1 inch of water. To put that snow to water ratio into perspective, our average ratio during the winter is nearly 17" of snow for every 1" of water.

Highest SWE I saw on that map for upstate NY in Nov was 4.3" in one spot.. I dont doubt the jackpot areas had 6.5-7", but that was a very isolated area on unfrozen ground. A whole different situation in Boston.

But as said...we had 3-5" water content throughout SE MI last March on frozen ground, and it didnt do much damage without any rain or rapid meltoff. Boston has about 4-5" water content right now, so whats added to it and how it melts will determine how bad flooding is.

Agreed.

This was after the snow melted already for a day or two.

***********************SNOW ON GROUND***********************

LOCATION SNOW TIME/DATE COMMENTS

ON GROUND OF

/INCHES/ MEASUREMENT

NEW YORK

...ERIE COUNTY...

ELMA 35.0 315 PM 11/21 SWE 5.6 INCHES.

ORCHARD PARK 34.0 315 PM 11/21 SWE 6.3 INCHES.

1 S WEST SENECA 32.0 315 PM 11/21 SWE 6.0 INCHES.

TOWN LINE 32.0 315 PM 11/21 SWE 5.6 INCHES.

LANCASTER 30.0 315 PM 11/21 SWE 5.4 INCHES.

1 N WEST SENECA 28.0 315 PM 11/21 SWE 4.8 INCHES.

BUFFALO 27.0 315 PM 11/21 SWE 4.5 INCHES.

WALES HOLLOW 24.0 315 PM 11/21 SWE 3.2 INCHES.

CLARENCE 20.0 315 PM 11/21 SWE 3.8 INCHES.

...GENESEE COUNTY...

1 E DARIEN 34.0 315 PM 11/21 SWE 6.0 INCHES.

DARIEN 28.0 315 PM 11/21 SWE 4.5 INCES.

CORFU 27.0 315 PM 11/21 SWE 4.5 INCHES.

...WYOMING COUNTY...

FOLSOMDALE 40.0 315 PM 11/21 SWE 5.6 INCHES.

ATTICA 27.0 315 PM 11/21 SWE 3.4 INCHES.

These SWE is why I believe many places received 100-120" of snow. Ratios were lower to begin with but increased throughout the event. 6.3" SWE with ratios of 1:20 which is a great estimate would be 126". And to think these weren't even the hardest hit areas. I had a higher total than the highest received in Orchard Park as I was in a better location. East Aurora/Cowlesville was the hardest hit which probably had SWE closer to 7". I am investing in all the gear over the summer so I can document this stuff better. 6.5" SWE of snow in 3 days is something that can only happen off of Erie/Ontario.

dust, fake what?

attachicon.giflegend_ssm_swe_dem_152_402_0_1_0_1_0_0.png

attachicon.gifssm_swe_2015021123_0_600_450__13146_5009__12979_5233_dem_shading_giklm_m_1_0_0_1_0_0.png

MQT:

Very fluffy snow was experienced at NWS Marquette on February 8th, which set a new record snowfall for the day. The snow to water ratio was a whopping 74 inches of snow to 1 inch of water. To put that snow to water ratio into perspective, our average ratio during the winter is nearly 17" of snow for every 1" of water.

attachicon.gif988937_1004603949569496_8974246365674335256_n.jpg

Wow, that is ridiculous. Seems like you could blow away an entire snow drift with a sneeze, I wonder what that kind of snow even feels like to touch.

dust, fake what?

attachicon.giflegend_ssm_swe_dem_152_402_0_1_0_1_0_0.png

attachicon.gifssm_swe_2015021123_0_600_450__13146_5009__12979_5233_dem_shading_giklm_m_1_0_0_1_0_0.png

MQT:

attachicon.gif988937_1004603949569496_8974246365674335256_n.jpg

That is crazy! Early season LES can have some very low ratios. In Jan/Feb it ends up turning into Fluffy stuff though.

Speaking of spring, I'm kind of interested to see how I do down here in terms of severe weather compared to my old spot in Illinois. I looked back through some previous events and I found some pretty intriguing ones... the climatology here is certainly a bit better overall for severe weather, however it happens in different modes than my old location. I'm certainly not opposed to winter snow at the moment, but my attention is starting to turn more towards spring weather.

Speaking of spring, I'm kind of interested to see how I do down here in terms of severe weather compared to my old spot in Illinois. I looked back through some previous events and I found some pretty intriguing ones... the climatology here is certainly a bit better overall for severe weather, however it happens in different modes than my old location. I'm certainly not opposed to winter snow at the moment, but my attention is starting to turn more towards spring weather.

I forgot, where did you used to live in Illinois?

Archived