• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Winter 2014/15 Med/Long Range Discussion Part 3

Chicago Storm

Looks like 12z Euro trying to cook something big up for next weekend.

Potential is definitely there as the trough axis is further West and we see a small ridge developing in the East. With the energy dropping down and gathering moisture in the Gulf, this will likely set the tables for a possible storm.  The Euro has a nice Apps runner. General 4"+ for almost everyone. 

Some of the GEFS ensembles had a decent storm as well. The one thing that stands out as compared to these past storms is the PNA. Lets see. 

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

12z Euro on board a significant overrunning event next weekend, with a wide-open gulf.  The area that gets snow will likely shift around, but the current run has Kansas through eastern Iowa and southern Wisconsin getting several inches.

Today's 12z run also shows potential for additional similar events beyond seven days as the trough finally shifts west.

I'm reading discussions and hearing more mets say that the western ridge will move westward to the Aleutians, breaking down cross polar flow as has been mentioned, and allowing a trough to appear in the West, which is what we need to break this nw flow pattern and get some spring svr wx on the agenda.

Looking increasingly likely...question is for how long.

should be another warm region wide high moisture system on the 12z GFS

EDIT: putting the specific track and details aside, I think the large scale general pattern argues pretty heavily towards a warm / wet solution. We've just seen a string of suppressed turds but i don't see that happening this time.

EDIT: putting the specific track and details aside, I think the large scale general pattern argues pretty heavily towards a warm / wet solution. We've just seen a string of suppressed turds but i don't see that happening this time.

Could be winner either way. Nice snowfall or welcome March by washing everything clean.

I wouldn't call it a lock but I agree that the pattern would favor a moisture laden system hitting areas farther north than what we've seen recently.  The way this would fail imo is if we see too much energy get left behind.

Archived