Dano62
    Newest Member
    Dano62
Winter 2014/15 Med/Long Range Discussion Part 3

Chicago Storm

• Replies 1k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

So next storm threat not until the week of Feb 15th as that southwest cutoff gets reabsorbed into the main flow Sent from my iPhone

Been the pattern- quiet followed by cold or snow. I'm worried that northeast trough is going to slide west for late Feb. and March.

Thanks for posting this, BuffaloWeather. I've been watching Don Paul for 20 years now (WIVB is available on cable systems in the Golden Horseshoe/GTA). He's the best met in the Buffalo area.

The persistence in the current pattern is incredible. Despite the mild December, we are on pace to have another below normal winter, temperature-wise.

I agree. The thing is that many in the general public seem to think its been a mild winter. All they remember is the mild Christmas, nothing else. February to them might end up being a kick in the balls if what the GFS is predicting for late next week comes to pass.

I agree. The thing is that many in the general public seem to think its been a mild winter. All they remember is the mild Christmas, nothing else. February to them might end up being a kick in the balls if what the GFS is predicting for late next week comes to pass.

The 12z GFS has crazy cold for our area this weekend. Could be a day or two where the high temp is below 0 F.

December was mild but I can't believe people don't remember November and January being so cold!

They are comparing it to last year lol. When we actually get a mild winter I can just hear the public :rolleyes:

Haha!

I know, I've heard a lot of people saying that this winter has not been "nearly" as cold as last winter.

Albeit December 2014 was much more mild than December 2013, November 2014 and January 2015 were remarkably similar to their previous year counterpart in the temperature department (November slightly colder, January slightly warmer) for Toronto.

Haha!

I know, I've heard a lot of people saying that this winter has not been "nearly" as cold as last winter.

Albeit December 2014 was much more mild than December 2013, November 2014 and January 2015 were remarkably similar to their previous year counterpart in the temperature department (November slightly colder, January slightly warmer) for Toronto.

This true.

But this winter has not been "nearly" as warm as average.

Detroit had a 20" snow depth last winter and an 18" snow depth this winter. People still are living in their bubble of time standing still in 1978 Im sure.

The 12z GFS has crazy cold for our area this weekend. Could be a day or two where the high temp is below 0 F.

The benchmark for a super cold February day is February 9, 1934. High minus 25 Celsius in Toronto, without the wind factored in. I don't think we'll beat that, due to urban heat island effect downtown, but I agree we could see a couple of zero days. I just hope they're not ruined by midnight highs.

I've come across People that think the cold last Winter was "normal" so this winter is mild to them.

just ridiculous really.

I agree completely. People seem to think they lived through week after week of zero days at this latitude one or two generations ago. It's nonsense! Also, It gets me when people say that it's "weird" to have the temperature oscillate so much from day to day. It's a rare winter when you see solid cold without a thaw.

This winter hasn't been nearly as cold for a large area of the country. Lima's departures are still in the + range for the season, much less the Plains and South where arctic outbreaks have been few and far between.

It's been a colder regime after December but yeah, the mild December has been tough to completely overcome to this point.  Here's a map of temperature departures for the past 60 days (best I can do...don't know how to get one from Dec 1 to present)

post-14-0-13727500-1423336652_thumb.png

Looks like the GFS, Euro and CMC all try to eject another cutoff in 8-10 days. Will the cold be suppressive or relax enough for it to come north will be the main question IMO

c'mon, what do you think?    Here's the drill....*spoiler alert*....   Models will begin converging on a path thru the TN Valley in the next couple days....then at around 120hrs out a track thru the lower OH valley with a nice swath of snow along the I-70 corridor.  The tease will be in place until hr 72 when the nam shows the first north bump....Alek posts "wagons north"...the gfs goes north...the euro and ggem hold on the OV track until 48 hrs out then they cave north.  Congrats Chicago-GRR-Detroit.

A good majority of the 12z Euro ensemble members have the storm but as expected, are all over the the place.

The PNA ridge needs to weaken in order for the energy in the south to have any influence on the northern stream. The EPO is expected to remain slightly negative based on current models, but the +PNA is holding strong. The models also show a -NAO trying to develop, especially on the Eastern regions of Greenland and Iceland so we'll see how that transpires. 

The STJ will remain active but without a decent gradient structure in the atmosphere, it'll be hard to get anything to phase. If only this could break down a bit. The Pacific jet-stream is alive and well through atleast the next 240 hours on the models. The amount of possibilities we have, but no outcomes.  

the 18z gfs takes the -20 850 line to Charleston South Carolina around day 12 :lmao:

I really wish the GFS didn't have a reputation for overdoing cold. I'd really like to see a couple of zero days. Only then will my winter be complete. Honestly wouldn't mind a 1934 style cold wave for two or three days. I'd settle, though, for breaking at least cold record. Toronto Pearson might have a shot next Friday or Saturday morning.

c'mon, what do you think?    Here's the drill....*spoiler alert*....   Models will begin converging on a path thru the TN Valley in the next couple days....then at around 120hrs out a track thru the lower OH valley with a nice swath of snow along the I-70 corridor.  The tease will be in place until hr 72 when the nam shows the first north bump....Alek posts "wagons north"...the gfs goes north...the euro and ggem hold on the OV track until 48 hrs out then they cave north.  Congrats Chicago-GRR-Detroit.

Nice synopsis of winter around here.

I realize it's noise at this point, but 12gfs has almost a freakish carbon copy of the Chi-Det blizz again at 200hr+.  

It's so far out there that it could either be a good thing for those of us being missed, as it will most definitely change....or a bad thing because it's so far out it could lose it and then come full circle.  :axe: .    If those were the only options, my money would have to go on the latter.   Repeating patterns and climo win almost everytime.

I realize it's noise at this point, but 12gfs has almost a freakish carbon copy of the Chi-Det blizz again at 200hr+.  

It's so far out there that it could either be a good thing for those of us being missed, as it will most definitely change....or a bad thing because it's so far out it could lose it and then come full circle.  :axe: .    If those were the only options, my money would have to go on the latter.   Repeating patterns and climo win almost everytime.

The 12z GGEM also has a storm around the Feb 14-17th time period. Intriguing time frame as the PNA ridge looks to break down some with a slightly positive NAO. Still 7 days out but lets see. 

Archived