SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
We have a Dream MLK Disco Jan 18 Possible Wave on front

Damage In Tolland

• Replies 945
  • Created
  • Last Reply

has seemed that is the trend other than the occasional amped run for a while. Could be nothing

Yeah I agree.

I'm surprised BTV is going all in...

The "heavy snow" wording comes out when they have like 6"+ in the grids... seems like a bullish forecast given every other guidance aside the ECMWF.

Sunday Night... Snow or sleet likely. Heavy snow accumulation possible. Lows in the mid 20s. Chance of precipitation 70 percent.

Martin Luther King Jr Day... Snow likely. Additional light snow accumulation possible. Highs around 30. Chance of snow 70 percent.

donsutherland1, on 16 Jan 2015 - 06:41 AM, said:

snapback.png

Based on the 0z runs, this possible storm represents the first major qpf "battle" between the ECMWF and the upgraded GFS. Select qpf forecasts for the NYC metro area from the 0z runs:

BDR: ECMWF: 1.30"; GFS: 0.01"

EWR: ECMWF: 1.31"; GFS: None

ISP: ECMWF: 1.10"; GFS: 0.09"

NYC: ECMWF: 1.38"; GFS: None

Gee I wonder which model will win

My guess is the Euro comes east at 12z....the other guidance might try and tick west a bit too...but that was weird to see divergence inside of 84 hours last night...all the other models went east and basically made it a glorified FROPA while the Euro actually went west when it was already a western outlier.

Euro ensembles are in pretty good agreement. Hard to argue with the op Euro track as much.

I also see virtually no snow on the backend on the Euro - not sure what Kevin is looking at. There's maybe a small sliver of heavy, wet snow and/or sleet when things dynamically cool for the Berkshires and the Greens. 

Yeah the model divergence is pretty funny. We'll probably see some sort of a compromise I would guess...which either way doesn't mean much I suppose.

I just can't believe the GFS/NAM/GGEM show literally only a few hundreths of precip... while the Euro Ensembles have us nearing 1.0" of QPF by Day 4.

I just can't believe the GFS/NAM/GGEM show literally only a few hundreths of precip... while the Euro Ensembles have us nearing 1.0" of QPF by Day 4.

Normally I favor the EC, but the EC has had moments where it was a bit too bullish this year. Compromise is my guess. The GFS may be too east.

Yeah I agree.

I'm surprised BTV is going all in...

attachicon.gifforecast.JPG

The "heavy snow" wording comes out when they have like 6"+ in the grids... seems like a bullish forecast given every other guidance aside the ECMWF.

Sunday Night... Snow or sleet likely. Heavy snow accumulation possible. Lows in the mid 20s. Chance of precipitation 70 percent.

Martin Luther King Jr Day... Snow likely. Additional light snow accumulation possible. Highs around 30. Chance of snow 70 percent.

BGM similarly is going for this in a big way for central NYS.

Euro idea of 1 inch plus is def wrong and tossed..but a nice compromise if you like a little snow in SNE is the ENS ..We'll see..but I'd bet the 12z massively shifts east

I'm looking at the individual ensembles right now and I think you're reading into the "mean" too much...there are two camps really.  One camp that looks similar to the EURO with a big QPF bomb moving through New England, and the other camp with a much further east and drier look along the front.  The mean puts the low in the middle which might look better on paper, but its really one option or the other. 

Archived