Charles-St. Marys-Orange-Stafford-Spotsylvania-King George-
310 PM EST Fri Feb 12 2021

...ICE STORM WARNING IN EFFECT FROM 7 AM SATURDAY TO 7 AM EST
SUNDAY...

* WHAT...Significant icing. Storm total ice accumulations of
  around a quarter of an inch.

* WHERE...Portions of southern Maryland and north-central
  Virginia.

* WHEN...From 7 AM Saturday to 7 AM EST Sunday.

* IMPACTS...Power outages and tree damage are likely due to the
  ice. Travel could be nearly impossible.

* ADDITIONAL DETAILS...Even a small amount of ice on untreated
  surfaces can make travel treacherous.

PRECAUTIONARY/PREPAREDNESS ACTIONS...

Travel is strongly discouraged. If you must travel, keep an extra
flashlight, food and water in your vehicle in case of an
emergency. Prepare for possible power outages.

When venturing outside, watch your first few steps taken on
steps, sidewalks, and driveways, which could be icy and slippery,
increasing your risk of a fall and injury.

&&

$$

2 hours ago, PrinceFrederickWx said:

My panic room sacrifice seems to be delivering the goods... to St. Mary’s at least. Borderline WSW overnight last night and now ice storm warning. :lol:

Thank you for your sacrifice. 

It has been a while since we have had a decent ice storm... I remember the storms in 94', we were out of school for two straight weeks... Some of my friends didn't have power for almost the same amount of time!

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, Wxdavis5784 said:

Thank you for your sacrifice. 

It has been a while since we have had a decent ice storm... I remember the storms in 94', we were out of school for two straight weeks... Some of my friends didn't have power for almost the same amount of time!

I was growing up in Glen Burnie for the '94 ice storms- I know there were several, but the big one for us was the January one followed by the "Big Chill of '94" which made it impossible to clear the ice or even leave the house. I was off school for almost two weeks.

The big one in Southern MD and the Eastern shore was in February, which was even worse from what I read (it actually got a federal disaster declaration).

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, PrinceFrederickWx said:

I was growing up in Glen Burnie for the '94 ice storms- I know there were several, but the big one for us was the January one followed by the "Big Chill of '94" which made it impossible to clear the ice or even leave the house. I was off school for almost two weeks.

The big one in Southern MD and the Eastern shore was in February, which was even worse from what I read (it actually got a federal disaster declaration).

I grew up in northern VA and I remember a couple good ice events in the 90s. Can’t remember exact dates but I’m pretty sure ‘94 was one of them. 

• Like 3

2 hours ago, PrinceFrederickWx said:

Correct! I remember you could have ice skated on my driveway. We were taking metal sleds down my neighbors driveway! 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Wxdavis5784 said:

Correct! I remember you could have ice skated on my driveway. We were taking metal sleds down my neighbors driveway! 

I actually have videos of the January 94 ice storm- my brother and I are attempting to sled, and my parents are sliding all over the place trying to walk in the yard. No one can get up the hill to slide, we just jump on the sled and slide across the flat areas of the yard. :lol: It’s pouring freezing rain in another video with everything encased in ice.

• Haha 1

23 minutes ago, PrinceFrederickWx said:

I actually have videos of the January 94 ice storm- my brother and I are attempting to sled, and my parents are sliding all over the place trying to walk in the yard. No one can get up the hill to slide, we just jump on the sled and slide across the flat areas of the yard. :lol: It’s pouring freezing rain in another video with everything encased in ice.

I don’t have video, but the memories are embedded in my mind. I remember my mother and I practically ice skating on the driveway!

• Like 1

Does anyone remember the last time an ice storm actually had ice accretion on roads and sidewalks?  I have a memory of a storm in the early 00s when I lived in Baltimore County where we had some snow that must have changed over to frza and some friends were able to ice skate down sidewalks.

I don't think this storm has enough cold air and the ground is not cold enough to do that except maybe nw of the fall line.

I would imagine an arctic airmass that is in place long enough to freeze the soil would be needed to really have ice accretion on paved surfaces.

BTW what happened to that arctic air we were supposed to get around now?

3 minutes ago, SnowtoRain said:

Does anyone remember the last time an ice storm actually had ice accretion on roads and sidewalks?  I have a memory of a storm in the early 00s when I lived in Baltimore County where we had some snow that must have changed over to frza and some friends were able to ice skate down sidewalks.

I don't think this storm has enough cold air and the ground is not cold enough to do that except maybe nw of the fall line.

I would imagine an arctic airmass that is in place long enough to freeze the soil would be needed to really have ice accretion on paved surfaces.

BTW what happened to that arctic air we were supposed to get around now?

3/1/15 IMBY

5 hours ago, PrinceFrederickWx said:

I’m already punting the Thursday system (unless someone has a compelling reason why I should care). :lol:

My current expectation is flizzard to sleet to rain to maybe I should dig that hole for my new tree so it will fill with rain water.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Not sleeping on the Thursday threat, but expectations low. That being said it would be hilarious if a storm that was modeled to be all rain a day or two ago ends up becoming a hit as a result of the persistent seasonal trend to suppress storms south.

Sent from my SM-G975U using Tapatalk

As with most winter weather events this year, this is another case of not being our storm.

Sounds like maybe an inch of snow for my area before a transition to other forms of wintery precip, which may or may not change to cold rain depending on the speed of the storm.  MESOS also showing precip missing the Eastern Shore in the beginning which would make snow accumulation even tougher.

Our friends in Charles, Calvert, and northern St Mary's have a chance of nice, albeit short, front end thump.

• Like 2

Not holding my breath, but we should also watch the potential for backend snow Friday evening as the coastal low pulls away. RGEM showing a death band, and the Euro shows a similar scenario. Lol.

Before that though, lots of sleet looks likely Thursday AM before changing to rain. 

8E99B585-8177-45C1-8BC9-6D4400641E00.png

• Like 3