• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Southern MD / Lower Eastern Shore weather discussion

PrinceFrederickWx

well looks like we may have a shot at snow snow next week. I think it's way way way too soon to know any given particulars at this time. I want snow as bad as anyone but weather models are terrible at predicting the future in the time frame. snow maps are fun to look at and give you this giddy feeling but at the end of the day next week doesn't exist yet lol. what are your guys current thoughts?

You always say that Debbie.... My hope is for snow to mix and obviously rain is always possible over here but we are dealing with a strength and depth of cold dense Arctic air we don't often see....I mean I'm seeing comparisons to the outbreak of February 1996 being made by more than one major media outlet in the area. I remain hopeful and confident that this is out best shot at significant snow so far this winter.

You always say that Debbie.... My hope is for snow to mix and obviously rain is always possible over here but we are dealing with a strength and depth of cold dense Arctic air we don't often see....I mean I'm seeing comparisons to the outbreak of February 1996 being made by more than one major media outlet in the area. I remain hopeful and confident that this is out best shot at significant snow so far this winter.

I never knew that the February '96 storms had you guys in the bullseye. Both of those were just moderate events in the BWI area. This is from LWX's historic storms page:

February 2-3 and February 16, 1996, storms: The Delmarva received 4 snowstorms in about 5 weeks from January 7 through February 16. The storm on February 2-3, dropped up to two feet of snow over Dorchester County. The entire Lower Eastern Shore was covered by another 1 to 2 feet of snow. On February 16, another storm struck dropping 5 to 8 inches over the Lower Eastern Shore and 8 to 12 inches on the Upper Eastern Shore. These storms combined to produce the snowiest season this century on the Delmarva! The Lower Shore (Wicomico, Worcester, and Somerset Counties) saw 28 to 35 inches of snow in those five weeks. Dorchester, Talbot, and Caroline Counties saw 45 to 59 inches of snow. 

Charles, Calvert and St. Mary's have high wind warnings and wind chill advisories, but I'm surprised winter weather advisories haven't been posted yet, especially since the actual forecasts are calling for 1-1.5 inches later today and tonight. I don't think I've ever had all three advisories at once.  :snowing:  :shiver: