• Member Statistics

Total Members
    Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Southern MD / Lower Eastern Shore weather discussion

PrinceFrederickWx

Just visiting to say hi -- I'm in Germantown but grew up in Owings (about 4 miles south of Dunkirk) so I am very familiar with how things go in the winter down there.  But it's fun when it goes the other way isn't it?  Remember the big January 25, 2000 storm?  I ended up with just 7" from that, but my parents and siblings who still live down there (Calvert and St Marys) got like 15-20" and they were all over me LOL!  I got lots of phone calls that day.  My best memory was the Blizzard of '79.  Northern Calvert was the jackpot in that monster.  It still tops all of the storms I've seen since in my new area, including 1996 and 2010.

I hope this Sunday night/Monday system takes a nice track and puts a swath of good snows west-to-east across the whole area.  Good luck!

Just visiting to say hi -- I'm in Germantown but grew up in Owings (about 4 miles south of Dunkirk) so I am very familiar with how things go in the winter down there.  But it's fun when it goes the other way isn't it?  Remember the big January 25, 2000 storm?  I ended up with just 7" from that, but my parents and siblings who still live down there (Calvert and St Marys) got like 15-20" and they were all over me LOL!  I got lots of phone calls that day.  My best memory was the Blizzard of '79.  Northern Calvert was the jackpot in that monster.  It still tops all of the storms I've seen since in my new area, including 1996 and 2010.

I hope this Sunday night/Monday system takes a nice track and puts a swath of good snows west-to-east across the whole area.  Good luck!

Hi- I was in Glen Burnie for 1/25/00 but we got hit good there too. I wasn't born yet for Feb. 1979 but that whole month sounds amazing from the stats I've read and stories I've heard.

Dorchester county will never suffer a bridge, the whole idea is bankrupt government insanity.

Here's an article from 2013 that explains it:

http://articles.baltimoresun.com/2013-05-25/news/bs-md-third-bay-crossing-20130508_1_bay-bridge-new-span-mdta

Admittedly the Calvert to Talbot idea is kind of ridiculous, and adding new lanes to the existing bay bridge is an exercise in futility (I watched them do that with 695 forever), but I like the Calvert-Dorchester idea. Having just one bay bridge through Annapolis is becoming impractical, especially with so many moving to southern MD now (which is only going to increase now that Dominion Cove is being built). Its also lost tourist revenue for OC and Delaware- it would take me just as long to get to OC as Virginia Beach even though the latter is much farther away "as the bird flies". I imagine you'd end up with a lot of commuters who would live on the eastern shore and work at Calvert Cliffs, etc. The bigger issue I think would be the impact on route 2-4, which already needs more lanes in some spots.

There will be considerable ice, if it's real cold for a week I think the main bay very well freeze

There's no way the main bay will freeze over. The last time that happened was in the 1976-77 winter, and that had the coldest Sept.-Dec. period ever followed by the coldest month ever for the region in January 1977. There may possibly be some surface ice in some spots (that happens more often), but it just hasn't been cold enough for a long enough period.

Thanks for the article. Given the economy and the deficit, seems as though any span is an extreme longshot, (seems similar to the waning possibilities for significant snow(s)on the lower shore/southern Md). Agree on the bay's freezing likelihood being low, the deep cold would have to be in place for at least a week or longer. Rivers/creeks will stiffen up. I'm old enough to recall the epic cold of the late '70's.......Feb. '79 saw heavy freezing even in the lower bay iirc....

hey what's a good site to view daily snowfall records for your city??

I'm not sure- the only ones I know how to get are the three main airports in the LWX area (DCA, IAD, BWI). You're under Mount Holly so idk what their official climo reporting stations are.

Edit: Wait- you're under Wakefield, not Mount Holly, right? They have Salisbury there but idk if that's an official climo station: http://www.weather.gov/climate/index.php?wfo=akq

I'm not sure- the only ones I know how to get are the three main airports in the LWX area (DCA, IAD, BWI). You're under Mount Holly so idk what their official climo reporting stations are.

Edit: Wait- you're under Wakefield, not Mount Holly, right? They have Salisbury there but idk if that's an official climo station: http://www.weather.gov/climate/index.php?wfo=akq

yes you are correct. I'm under Wakefield until you hit the Delaware line then it goes to Mount Holly. Thanks for the info. 

This has to be the sh*tiest 5 day forecast ever. All my emerging spring bulbs are going to die too:

• Tonight Partly cloudy, with a low around 26. Calm wind becoming south around 5 mph after midnight.
  •  
  • Thursday A chance of snow showers before 1pm, then a chance of rain and snow showers between 1pm and 4pm, then a chance of snow showers after 4pm. Mostly cloudy, with a high near 39. Southwest wind 5 to 10 mph becoming northwest 12 to 17 mph in the afternoon. Winds could gust as high as 25 mph. Chance of precipitation is 40%.
  •  
  • Thursday Night Mostly clear, with a low around 15. Blustery, with a northwest wind 21 to 23 mph, with gusts as high as 34 mph.
  •  
  • Friday Sunny, with a high near 27. Wind chill values as low as -1. Blustery, with a northwest wind 13 to 22 mph, with gusts as high as 31 mph.
  •  
  • Friday Night Partly cloudy, with a low around 19. Northwest wind 5 to 9 mph becoming calm.
  •  
  • Saturday Partly sunny, with a high near 40.
  •  
  • Saturday Night Mostly cloudy, with a low around 10. Blustery.
  •  
  • Sunday Mostly sunny, with a high near 19. Blustery.
  •  
  • Sunday Night Mostly clear, with a low around 6. Blustery.
  •  
  • Washington's Birthday Sunny, with a high near 25.
  •  
  • Monday Night Mostly cloudy, with a low around 18.