Most Online
    Weathernoob335
    Newest Member
    Weathernoob335
Pittsburgh, PA Thread: Winter '14-'15

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ended up with about a half inch last night, nothing all that impressive. Fell asleep before I could see if fall though.

Latest trend on the parade of short waves coming up looks be fairly unfavorable for us. New York State and Southern New England get hit pretty good and even eastern PA is much better off, probably with the help of some CAD. Its possible after Saturday and Sunday the snow pack will be all but gone. Sure makes today in the teens hard to take knowing its a complete waste of cold air.

Maybe we see a slight south trend or different evolution of the setup in the next day or 2 but that is about our only hope at this point.

Looking bleak...

Attached thumbnail(s)

img-resized.png Reduced 20%
post-20276-1423152666_thumb.jpg

Wow, just hammers NY State and New England. Thursday a week ago we looked pretty good too though so I doubt this is set in stone but I'd probably wager it goes further North not back South. I actually hope it does, then we get spared a rain storm on Sunday and it stings less when it snows 100s of miles away rather than 75 miles to the North.

I know its only the JMA, but big changes from yesterday to today for Monday.  Freezing line took a big dip to the west of us for Monday as compared to same time yesterday.  Hopefully portents changes on other models.   

Euro is pretty far North now too. This one is likely done for us now. Amazing run for folks to the North who will be challenging all time snow depths.

I just looped through the 18z, 00z, and 6z GFS and they all look terrible if you want any snow. Bitter cold temperatures followed by a brief warmup as a storm passes to the North. Any time any decent precipitation is falling its too warm but overall a below average temperature outlook. Just terrible!

If this was showing an awesome pattern you know it would break down as we got closer so there is some hope for a change but it seems the bad pattern looks lock and load at long leads lol.

I just looped through the 18z, 00z, and 6z GFS and they all look terrible if you want any snow. Bitter cold temperatures followed by a brief warmup as a storm passes to the North. Any time any decent precipitation is falling its too warm but overall a below average temperature outlook. Just terrible!

If this was showing an awesome pattern you know it would break down as we got closer so there is some hope for a change but it seems the bad pattern looks lock and load at long leads lol.

It was showing an awesome pattern a week ago and has not verified...Sampling has begun for the late weekend event as of 0z last night and if any changes are to come, we should be seeing them in the 12z suite.  There is a last bit of energy due on shore by 12z tomorrow,  

Looking forward to the next 2 days. Need to melt off some of the snow and ice in my yard for the dog.

FYI regarding Snow Pack:

A lot of people think that the snow pack holds in the cold for more storms. True it keeps the temperature down but I don't think it really makes a big difference on the big storms. I have had a solid snowpack for 2 weeks now with extreme cold and no storms in sight. Last year the same thing.  If you look at history before most of our major 12+ snowstorms there was little snow on the ground when the storm started. Don't get me wrong I want a BIG snowstorm but maybe a warm up is needed to get this systems juiced up and moving out of the gulf. 

Good point NorthPgh, last Sunday was a good example.

Because of it's location, the 850 low overwhelmed our area with warm air, and there was nothing that could stop it despite the snowpack.

I think it happened in 2010, but the models were projecting BL issues for an upcoming storm.

However, because the 850's were good, the fresh snowpack helped a rain/snow event to be an all snow event.

This was a rare occurance though.

I watched one of the videos that was posted yesterday about the 1/3/94 storm (here's a link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bc50i1ADeDo).  As long as I've lived in Pittsburgh (about 10 years now), I've never seen a storm path like that.  I'd be really curious to know what the conditions were like at the time.  I'd also like to know how much snow Morgantown got out of that storm.  Looks like SW PA was the bullseye.

I watched one of the videos that was posted yesterday about the 1/3/94 storm (here's a link: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bc50i1ADeDo).  As long as I've lived in Pittsburgh (about 10 years now), I've never seen a storm path like that.  I'd be really curious to know what the conditions were like at the time.  I'd also like to know how much snow Morgantown got out of that storm.  Looks like SW PA was the bullseye.

You might be interested in this video from WTAE on 1/4/1994:  

Joe DeNardo appears around the 2:00 mark.  He gives out some cool accumulation info.  Sounds like Morgantown did quite well based on nearby totals, but he didn't explicitly mention Morgantown.  (If you came to the PIT area in 2005, you just missed DeNardo--he retired in late 2004 or early 2005--he was a legendary meteorologist for Pittsburgh.  Had a Master's degree in Meteorology from the University of Chicago.  Really knew his stuff.  Actually co-owned a forecasting company in the South Hills until the 1980s, I believe.)

On a side note...my, how far the TV weather graphics have come!  Even just the evolution from 1994 to 2000 or 2001...huge improvements.  

You might be interested in this video from WTAE on 1/4/1994:  

Joe DeNardo appears around the 2:00 mark.  He gives out some cool accumulation info.  Sounds like Morgantown did quite well based on nearby totals, but he didn't explicitly mention Morgantown.  (If you came to the PIT area in 2005, you just missed DeNardo--he retired in late 2004 or early 2005--he was a legendary meteorologist for Pittsburgh.  Had a Master's degree in Meteorology from the University of Chicago.  Really knew his stuff.  Actually co-owned a forecasting company in the South Hills until the 1980s, I believe.)

On a side note...my, how far the TV weather graphics have come!  Even just the evolution from 1994 to 2000 or 2001...huge improvements.  

Thanks for posting that, lot of nostalgia there. When can we get another bulls-eye like that? :snowing:

Thanks for posting that, lot of nostalgia there. When can we get another bulls-eye like that? :snowing:

I remember going to work in this and getting stuck coming home to 2 feet but I cannot for the life of me remember the forecast for this. Does anyone remember what we were forecasted for the day before? Was it a big surprise? As much as I remember storms over my history I don't recall the original forecast.

Maybe it's me, but I always liked the graphics back then. It was about weather back then, now it's about being cool and ratings.

Sent from my iPhone

I used to live for TWC 7 day weekly planner at 11:20 am when it was usually updated.  Remember it seemed like weekly in the early - mid-90's there was potential for a low up the apps/coast and WPa with a big swath of heavy snow graphic over our area.

Archived