Most Online
    joxey
    Newest Member
    joxey
Pittsburgh, PA Thread: Winter '14-'15

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I know we get screwed regardless but I think that Arctic high is too damn strong for this to track further north.

I wouldn't be surprised if we were fringed on the north edge like last year with this system.  I have a feeling this one is going to end up way south.  Dont like being bullseye at this point.

post-26392-1423003787_thumb.jpg

I know we get screwed regardless but I think that Arctic high is too damn strong for this to track further north.

True. With that high pressure in play, we at least have a chance with this one. Takes a very strong high to keep these storms from trending north like they tend to do. This one is strong so far. Hopefully, not too strong. Would be nice to be in the right spot for a change. Some more flip flopping to go with this being several days away.

True. With that high pressure in play, we at least have a chance with this one. Takes a very strong high to keep these storms from trending north like they tend to do. This one is strong so far. Hopefully, not too strong. Would be nice to be in the right spot for a change. Some more flip flopping to go with this being several days away.

Yeah its tough to get a storm here for some reason but this is a different set up. The GFS has a 1042 HP which will only allow this to come so far north. Also this is a northern stream system that is diving down SE, I like that better than a storm phasing and coming NW. As always its 5/6 days away and this will change. Keep watch but don't fall for the model trap.

You cant write these things. I think everyone in this thread would delete their accounts if this verified verbatim

I don't know. Even with that high to the north, it still seems like the low is going to be too far north again. Almost seems like we could put ten high pressures to the north and these lows still find a way to trend too far north for us. We just can't stay away from the slop. This is why you don't get excited about a storm 5 days out. Too much can change, and usually not for the better in our case. Even with this clipper moving in tonight, there are some p-type issues with it as well. I'm forecasted to get a mix later today before changing over to less than an inch later tonight. Business as usual for this area.

I don't know. Even with that high to the north, it still seems like the low is going to be too far north again. Almost seems like we could put ten high pressures to the north and these lows still find a way to trend too far north for us. We just can't stay away from the slop. This is why you don't get excited about a storm 5 days out. Too much can change, and usually not for the better in our case. Even with this clipper moving in tonight, there are some p-type issues with it as well. I'm forecasted to get a mix later today before changing over to less than an inch later tonight. Business as usual for this area.

With the AO and NAO being positive there is nothing to hold the highs or 50/50 lows in place so when a storm approaches it can have its way with the features to the North of us and move further North than would otherwise seem likely. We need the ridge out west to really pump up and be in the proper location so storms want to cut underneath of us if we are not getting any help from the AO \NAO. This upcoming storm is a mess right now so who knows how its going to end up but it seems the evolution keeps changing and models keep hinting at some cutoff long duration precipitation setup.

Nothing really favorable on the 12z models I have looked at (GFS & Canadian) Although I'm not really concerned at this point. If models were right 4-5 days out for the last storm I'd have 2 feet in my back yard right now.

Yea, but last weekends storm  had phasing to work out.  This is just northern stream energy so shouldn't see the big changes like last week.  

:facepalm: To all the models. As far as I am concerned if it's not going to snow it may as well warm up. I am sick of taking the dog out and trudging through the ice glaciers trying to find him places to do his business. Maybe we can still land that one large storm sometime this month or early March.

That's what I always say to. About the snow I mean, not the dog since I don't have one. I'm sure we have some melting going on right now with temps in the 40s and lots of sun. We'll have more glaciers reform later after we get our inch or so and the cold moves back in.

Yea, but last weekends storm  had phasing to work out.  This is just northern stream energy so shouldn't see the big changes like last week.  

Well this "event" has several pieces of energy riding along the boundary. Models won't have a good handle on how any of these pieces affect us or if its cold enough this far out. I'm not saying look for this to end up in our favor, cause it probably won't, just that I'm not going to be over joyed or dismayed by anything I see until Saturday.

I think the whole area in general looks good for a 2-3 inch swath of snow from the clipper. I wonder what the liquid equivalent of the snow pack is given its been rained on twice?

My finger is hovering above the "winter cancel" button at this point.  I'm giving it until Valentine's Day to give us something, throw us any kind of bone (that could include a real pattern change).  If nothing at that point, it's over.  I'll take my 7" and run into summer 'til next year, as they say.

My finger is hovering above the "winter cancel" button at this point.  I'm giving it until Valentine's Day to give us something, throw us any kind of bone (that could include a real pattern change).  If nothing at that point, it's over.  I'll take my 7" and run into summer 'til next year, as they say.

Yeah, I can't blame you, it's been pretty tough down your way especially.

This is a bit of a long shot, but Monday night into Tuesday, if that low could deepen faster, possibly enough moisture could make it up your way.

Yeah, I can't blame you, it's been pretty tough down your way especially.

This is a bit of a long shot, but Monday night into Tuesday, if that low could deepen faster, possibly enough moisture could make it up your way.

Well this should be perfect for us up here in wester pa. He prays for north it comes north for him then last minute it goes more north screwing him and getting us up here who are north of him. Lol.

Special Weather Statement

SPECIAL WEATHER STATEMENT

NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE PITTSBURGH PA

808 PM EST WED FEB 4 2015

OHZ040-041-050-PAZ020>023-029-073-WVZ001-002-050330-

CARROLL-COLUMBIANA-JEFFERSON OH-BEAVER-ALLEGHENY-ARMSTRONG-

INDIANA-WASHINGTON-WESTMORELAND-HANCOCK-BROOKE-

INCLUDING THE CITIES OF...CARROLLTON...SALEM...STEUBENVILLE...

BEAVER...PITTSBURGH METRO AREA...KITTANNING...INDIANA...

WASHINGTON...GREENSBURG...LATROBE...WEIRTON...BETHANY

808 PM EST WED FEB 4 2015

...A BURST OF MODERATE SNOW LIKELY...

AS MUCH COLDER AIR MOVES INTO THE REGION...MODERATE TO

OCCASIONALLY HEAVY SNOW SHOWERS WILL INCREASE RAPIDLY BETWEEN 830

AND 1030 PM. VISIBILITIES WILL DROP TO BELOW ONE HALF OF A MILE AT

TIMES...AND ROADS WILL QUICKLY BECOME SNOW COVERED AND SLIPPERY.

THOSE VENTURING OUR SHOULD BE PREPARED FOR RAPIDLY DETERIORATING

VISIBILITY AND ROAD CONDITIONS.

THIS INCLUDES PORTIONS OF INTERSTATES 376...279...AND 79 THROUGH

THE PITTSBURGH AREA...AS WELL AS ALL OF THE PENNSYLVANIA TURNPIKE

IN WESTERN PENNSYLVANIA.

$$

FRIES

Archived