Most Online
    SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Pittsburgh, PA Thread: Winter '14-'15

• Replies 1.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Is it going back and forth in the city? It was doing that here for a little while but now it's all rain. Looks like things will quit for a little while looking at radar, before another batch moves in..

Yeah but unless it picks up intensity it is done.

Look at this Euro temp for next week.

mXOxIIo.png

s issued by NWS for: Pittsburgh PA

Special Weather Statement
SPECIAL WEATHER STATEMENTNATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE PITTSBURGH PA821 PM EST SUN FEB 1 2015PAZ013-014-020>023-073-074-020400-LAWRENCE-BUTLER-BEAVER-ALLEGHENY-ARMSTRONG-INDIANA-WESTMORELAND-WESTMORELAND RIDGES-INCLUDING THE CITIES OF...NEW CASTLE...BUTLER...BEAVER...PITTSBURGH METRO AREA...KITTANNING...INDIANA...GREENSBURG...LATROBE...LIGONIER...DONEGAL821 PM EST SUN FEB 1 2015...FREEZING RAIN POSSIBLE THROUGH THE EVENING...WHILE AIR TEMPERATURES CONTINUE TO RISE ACROSS THE AREA THISEVENING...SURFACE TEMPERATURES WILL TAKE LONGER TO RISE ABOVEFREEZING. THEREFORE...ANY RAIN THAT FALLS MAY BE FREEZING ONCONTACT. ROADS MAY BECOME ICY...ESPECIALLY BRIDGES AND OVERPASSES.BE CAUTIOUS WHILE TRAVELING TONIGHT. THE FREEZING RAIN THREAT ISEXPECTED TO DIMINISH AFTER MIDNIGHT.$$

hmm...

3 products issued by NWS for: Pittsburgh PA

Winter Weather Advisory
URGENT - WINTER WEATHER MESSAGENATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE PITTSBURGH PA918 PM EST SUN FEB 1 2015OHZ040-041-PAZ013-014-020>023-073-074-021030-/O.CON.KPBZ.WW.Y.0010.000000T0000Z-150202T1700Z/CARROLL-COLUMBIANA-LAWRENCE-BUTLER-BEAVER-ALLEGHENY-ARMSTRONG-INDIANA-WESTMORELAND-WESTMORELAND RIDGES-INCLUDING THE CITIES OF...CARROLLTON...SALEM...NEW CASTLE...BUTLER...BEAVER...PITTSBURGH METRO AREA...KITTANNING...INDIANA...GREENSBURG...LATROBE...LIGONIER...DONEGAL918 PM EST SUN FEB 1 2015...WINTER WEATHER ADVISORY REMAINS IN EFFECT UNTIL NOON ESTMONDAY...* ICE ACCUMULATIONS...A TRACE TO A TENTH OF AN INCH.* SNOW ACCUMULATIONS...3 TO 5 INCHES.* PERIOD OF MOST INTENSE ICE...THIS EVENING.* PERIOD OF MOST INTENSE SNOW...BETWEEN MIDNIGHT AND SUNRISE  MONDAY.* SNOW ENDING...MONDAY AFTERNOON.* IMPACTS...HAZARDOUS TRAVEL CONDITIONS ARE EXPECTED DUE TO  ACCUMULATION OF A WINTRY MIX OF SNOW AND ICE...AND REDUCED  VISIBILITY.PRECAUTIONARY/PREPAREDNESS ACTIONS...A WINTER WEATHER ADVISORY MEANS THAT SNOW OR FREEZING RAIN WILLCAUSE TRAVEL DIFFICULTIES. USE CAUTION WHILE DRIVING AND REPORTSNOW AND ICE ACCUMULATION TO THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE BYCALLING 412-262-1988...POSTING TO THE NWS PITTSBURGH FACEBOOKPAGE...OR USING TWITTER @NWSPITTSBURGH.&&$$

NWS just downgraded Butler, Armstrong, Indiana counties from Warnings to Advisories. Kept Winter Weather Advisory for Pgh Metro.

How are you doing right now, radar would indicate you are still all snow?

I just left my wife's parents house just South of Apollo and they had moderate snow with some sleet and rain mixing in, but roads were covered and very icy. By the time I got home its mainly a rain sleet mix with the occasional mangled snow flake despite the fact radar says its snow.

How are you doing right now, radar would indicate you are still all snow?

I just left my wife's parents house just South of Apollo and they had moderate snow with some sleet and rain mixing in, but roads were covered and very icy. By the time I got home its mainly a rain sleet mix with the occasional mangled snow flake despite the fact radar says its snow.

It is straight rain right now, but snow was mixing in some earlier. Everything is just a slushy mess. Looking at radar scope it is likely all snow about 25 miles to the north and west of me

Wow, What a wonderful day of weather.  As of right now, I have freezing rain. All weather obs are unofficial . I would say 4.5 inches of snow total as of 10;15 pm. Very wet snow that often boarded on rain. All in all ,  a rather disappointing storm if one was looking for great  snow fall totals . I had a great time being out side watching it. The temperature  was conducive   to spending time out of doors and enjoying the great scenery . Once I learn how to update photos from my Iphone I will  post pics. It was a great day to play outside.

Hey, anyone with the Euro want to expand on how this happens? Got to be one of the most extreme snow maps I have ever come across for our area. Seasonal snowfall in less than a week? lol

Lol. Yeah thats extreme alright.

Just looking at the entire map, it has a strong WAA Miller B look to it.

Especially to produce those types of amounts.

I'll take it though. Lol

I know this trap all too much at this point. Move that snow area 100 miles north or south and you will have your outcome.

It's a trap

Yeah, even at this long range, the signal (850 low position) has a repeat of yesterday written all over it.

But if the storm is still around later in the week, I'm sure we'll track it.

Hey, anyone with the Euro want to expand on how this happens? Got to be one of the most extreme snow maps I have ever come across for our area. Seasonal snowfall in less than a week? lol

15mgq6g.jpg

The last time I remember the EURO showing 3 foot for AGC was right before Sandy.  What is the date of this supposed storm?  THe date at the top says 2/1.  I know it takes into account everything from now until 204 hrs, but is there an actual date for a possible big storm.  Too bad the EURO has not been reliable but no doubt the New England will cash in.   This is their year.

Yeah, even at this long range, the signal (850 low position) has a repeat of yesterday written all over it.

Yeah, odds are it will be gone or dramatically different in another cycle or 2 but I figured everyone would get a kick out of 30+ inches in 8 days.

We shall see, set up looks a little different. The Euro does have ensemble support.

Archived