SnowHabit
    Newest Member
    SnowHabit
Winter medium range model pbp I

GaWx

• Replies 2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Last year's February storm was modeled pretty much from 8 days out IIRC.  Larry was all over that one. 

Yeah, he did the, "And that's FOUR runs in a row showing measurable wintry precip on the EURO." for each model run. I was looking over that thread last night, fantasizing. Maybe he can start that again soon.  :santa:

Soo....is that a good low over the great lakes or a bad one?  I see the nice high pressure in a nice spot, but there is also a low pressure in the GL.  That showed up on this weekend's event early on too when it was cold. 

That one is most likely irrelevant.  There's a big HP in the NE and another building in from central Canada.  I wouldn't sweat that little L up there at all.

Somehow the GEFS is better than the Op.  I like how the Greenland low that has been rotting all winter in Hudson Bay has slid over to eastern Quebec.

Ugghh- I hate getting sucked back in though.  Probably should sign back up.

Don't do it!!   :angry:

EDIT: 12zgfs is showing 2" of precip over mby  :D  

If we step back for a minute and look at day 7 (realistic range for a model); we have the big highs building down from Canada and a GL low (progressing NE) that helps drive the cold southward. This setup is what we need to see in upcoming runs. The details of the potential storm are going to drive us mad for the next few days. I think it's prudent to focus more on what is needed to deliver the required cold.  

http://mag.ncep.noaa.gov/Image.php?image=data%2Fgfs%2F12%2Fgfs_namer_168_850_temp_mslp_precip.gif&model=gfs&area=namer&storm=&cycle=12&param=850_temp_mslp_precip&fhr=168&group=Model+Guidance&imageSize=M&preselected_formatted_cycle_date=20150122+12+UTC&ps=model&use_mins=no&scrollx=0&scrolly=0

If we step back for a minute and look at day 7 (realistic range for a model); we have the big highs building down from Canada and a GL low (progressing NE) that helps drive the cold southward. This setup is what we need to see in upcoming runs. The details of the potential storm are going to drive us mad for the next few days. I think it's prudent to focus more on what is needed to deliver the required cold.  

http://mag.ncep.noaa.gov/Image.php?image=data%2Fgfs%2F12%2Fgfs_namer_168_850_temp_mslp_precip.gif&model=gfs&area=namer&storm=&cycle=12&param=850_temp_mslp_precip&fhr=168&group=Model+Guidance&imageSize=M&preselected_formatted_cycle_date=20150122+12+UTC&ps=model&use_mins=no&scrollx=0&scrolly=0

Very good post. We need the players on the field first before we can get the touchdown. 

I want to see it colder, but good storm signal, QPF, and track

Yea GEFS just looked alright for the cold with the storm. One thing is the GFS OP was very borderline for anyone south of 40 at the onset of that system....so GEFS is probably picking up on that which is it looks so border line. You would think with all those highs floating around models won't pick up on how much cold is getting over and around the Apps until a few days out. 

We're not depending on a certain storm to occur for this to happen, right?

The low (PV) moving to eastern Quebec, the +PNA and -EPO is the biggest things, IMO.  Well, along with the southern stream energy coming out and not getting stuck in Cali, like it has all winter.  Oh yeah, without blocking to keep things suppressed we have to rely on perfect west coast ridge placement, otherwise this could track up fannies.  One more thing, we need a strong HP, 1040+, weak 1032 won't get the job done.   And the HP has to beat the SS energy, we can't have the SS energy beat the HP setting up over the lakes.  One last thing, we need a whole lot of luck.

Did I mention the problems the lack of blocking brings.

You do that and burns will drop the ban hammer.

I should probably ban all of you in an attempt to save your lives.  I can't believe you're all once again doing the 10 day polka.  Even the great and powerful John Wow, who one day will probably have his likeness carved into the side of a hill or an old tree somewhere, has already mentioned

It wouldn't help though.  You would all just go to a different board and further spread the sickness.

Therefore:  I commit these poor souls to the atmospheric sea.  May God have mercy on their souls.

GGEM is phasing the northern stream in out west.  Big slow moving storm, but more of an ice or rain look for the SE

Failed +PNA, ridge off the west coast.  I would think we wouldn't have to wait 10 days to determine if we are going to have a  solid +PNA/-EPA, you would think by mid Tues/Wed next week we will have an idea.

I've noticed all winter the CMC has tended to keep the cold in the west only to fold to the GFS and Euro....It could be right but I like where it's sitting right now. Has the overall look just the track is wrong. 

Going back to the indices:

There is little spread for the AO going negative --Great

Little spread on the NAO going to slightly positive --which some say is ok 

EPO looks to be solidly negative around Feb 1st  

There is little spread for the PNA going back positive --But there are half the runs that are showing slight negative, neutral, or just slightly positive. This could be our biggest (but not only) wild card

Noticing the Euro still hold to its bias of not progressing storms through the STJ and holding for the longest time over the SW.   It's doing it here with the Super Bowl Sunday storm where a bulk of the energy stays cut off (and actually retrogrades a bit) off the SW coast.  

Looks like it's still going to manage a weak disturbance over the gulf coast despite this, and give us a significant snow storm by 222 hrs.  

See what I mean about not having to thread the needle here? ;)

EDIT:  Make that a MAJOR snow!  Wow!

1yzVql4.png

2ClOeuW.png

Noticing the Euro still hold to its bias of not progressing storms through the STJ and holding for the longest time over the SW.   It's doing it here with the Super Bowl Sunday storm where a bulk of the energy stays cut off (and actually retrogrades a bit) off the SW coast.  

Looks like it's still going to manage a weak disturbance over the gulf coast despite this, and give us a significant snow storm by 222 hrs.  

See what I mean about not having to thread the needle here? ;)

EDIT:  Make that a MAJOR snow!  Wow!

1yzVql4.png

2ClOeuW.png

Yessir. That's the hammer, no needle needed. 

Archived